Never Trial'd, seriously contemplating....

Discussion in 'Trials' started by fifthcircle, Oct 4, 2012.

1. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    ...a MAJOR change.

Me in a nutshell: 34, married, 17mo old son, doughtier on the way. Been riding steadily since 2002. Vstrom 650 and DRZ 400 in the garage. Just got the DRZ this spring (first dirt bike). Loving it like crazy!! I have also done a bit of mountain biking, and taken a couple trips to Moab for that. Good times!!

I am realizing that I will not really be able to take longer trips with the little ones around for the foreseeable future. So the wee strom really won't get the use it was originally purchased for.

I could probably swing getting a cheap ($1,000 or under) trials bike and not sell the strom. But, would I be happier with something much newer?

Need some direction!

There is a local trials club that has something happening basically once a month. I know one guy from here that is into it. If they are all as cool as he is, I want in! :clap I figure it would also be something that the wife and kids could come watch and be a part of, instead of me just going off for the afternoon.

Any comments, or advice is welcome!
    Thanks, Kurt :D
  2. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I assume you are near the Omaha trials club. They ride out of a local quarry and have hosted several US Nationals there.

IMHO you can't buy much of a trials bike for a grand. It's gonna take $2K-$3K to buy something you're gonna want to ride and isn't all clapped out.
  3. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm in Lincoln. They have a big event coming up in a week, but I have a wedding to be vat Saturday...hopefully I can sneak out there Sunday.

I am in no hurry to get a bike, so I can take all of fall/winter/spring watching for a great deal. I do have a hunch that I will love it, so I don't want a total P.O.S. I just can't figure out if I want to be without a good street bike for a few years.
  4. dmay

dmay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only decent $1000 trials bikes are Yamaha TY350's,and you better be a good mechanic to keep one in good fettle.You can ride anything on one,but it'll be a bit different than a modern bike. A TY350 will require proper riding technique to negotiate modern sections,which would be good as modern bikes will allow you to fudge enough so that you won't be in proper position when you need to be. Yamaha drum brakes are really good,but do need to be looked after.
    Reflexes can be had for $1000 to,but that just buys a starting point for spending on modifications.
  5. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    Ok, can you give me an idea of some $1500-2500 trials bikes that would be a good starting point?

I know nothing about them, other than they look like fun :evil:lol3
  6. dmay

dmay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/3315148196.html
    Kansas city,but in your price range,Jim Snell the TrialsPartsUsa guy can supply you with anything you'd ever need for it
  7. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    Cool! I'm not ready to buy just yet. But if there are deals to be had around $1500, I'm getting one :D

Time to sell some stuff that's in the garage! Anyone want a 75gal fish tank? :lol3
  8. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    the best way to buy a trials bike is go to a trials meet:deal

the best way to learn how to ride a trials bike is to ride at a trials meet:deal
  9. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty good place to ride being in the middle of corn fields!!! Good luck!:clap
  10. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out local trials club's web site. NMTA's sucks but there are a few really clean bikes for sale now in NM. Look at Gordy's. www.nmtrials.orf

www.lewsiportusa.com, etc.

Get a good trials bike, keep all three. Join the Grand Order of Ye All Selfish Bastards Club. :ear
  11. zontar

zontar lawnhater

Oddometer:
    hey fifth---

I'll keep my eyes open next weekend at the 2-day. in the meantime, come on over and play on the Beta....
  12. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    I will do that when I can ;-)

Maybe see you on Sunday at the two day, if I'm lucky enough to talk the wife into going.

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.
  13. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Leave her home if you have to :rofl.

This will be the event to attend for MWTA, and see and watch, for your local trials club. It probably will have double or triple the normal monthly event's turn out.

FYI, At MATT (Kansas city's club) 2 day event last month, there was about 6 or 10 bikes for sale, up at the place where we sign up for the weekend. Most about 2500-3500 for decent ready to rides used bikes... BTW, kansas city's club MATT, which is held in Trenton Mo, google maps it, it isn't that far from you, so you easily get to ride 2 times a month if you wanted to. Anyway, bunch of them will be up to MWTA's event I heard.

Plus you should see some kids riding up there. you wife should have fun, if she doesn't mind walking a little... My take is, since most women shop, so they will be able to handle walking around these events just fine, where as I wear out faster trying to shop with them.
  14. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    :photog
  15. amcross

amcross Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer:
    sorry, not looking for a fish tank (!), but we found two nearly identical trials bikes, a 2000 and a 2001 TXT290 GasGas bikes -- both needing pretty minor work -- one for $1600, the other for $2400 I think.

I agree wholeheartedly with the advice to look at events -- and also ask fellow riders at events. They know friends who aren't competing right now due to other obligations that might be interested in selling. You also might find someone willing to 'lease' you a bike for the winter, to get a feel for things and decide just what you are looking for.

FWIW, I have a 1984 Beta 125 that I adore, but when I got on a 2000-generation bike, I HADDD to have it. Granted, I weigh about 120 lbs in full riding gear, so the weight difference was a big deal, but so were a variety of the other key changes in that 15 year time period - the low slung seat, the lower CG, the difference in turning radius, etc.

WELCOME to the addiction!!!
  16. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    So did you go, and did we get you infected with the trails bug yet?
  17. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trials is huge fun and you can have fun practicing in small areas so often you don't have to drive as far to ride--you can probably have a good time in your yard. Def recommend it. Can't recall seeing a rideable trials bike under $1k, but it's possible. I think any modernish trials bike is fine until you get pretty advanced. I've got an '01 Montesa and didn't feel it was holding me back in the few events I rode.
  18. GrayEagleRider

GrayEagleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got into the sport and am having a blast when I get the opportunity to ride.

I just bought my first trials bike, 03 Montesa 315 in that price range ($1500-2500) and found several other bikes in decent condition that I considered buying. Too bad you don't like on East Coast.:lol3

If you found a cool guy that is in a local club and likes to ride I would get a decent bike and go for it. Thats basically what happened to me and I am having a blast.
  19. nwcycle

nwcycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was going to wait, but I will be posting my daughters 04 Sherco 2.0 soon, $2400.00 , Tons of like new stuff, Will need Zero items to go play, only Fuel.... I can get it shipped for about $160.00:D
    Here is a pik.....
    [​IMG]
  20. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    THAT is a serious up! :clap
    Very nice!!!! :thumb