Rear Shocks for BMW GS Tugs

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by mikepa, Apr 14, 2012.

1. sdpc2

sdpc2 Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer:
    who rode two up on an R1100GS? The blew out 2 or 3 Ohlins, 2 Wilbers, and finally after very similar discussions went with Hyper Pro's. The HP's were the only shock that held up to the real world abuse that they were dishing out. Those are the shocks that i am going to go with, my mine are done.

YMMV
  2. eastbloc

eastbloc comprador bourgeois

Oddometer:
    My Ohlins lasted 20,000 miles solo and another 8,000 miles in sidecar duty before I had it rebuilt into a much stiffer form. At the time, the only problem it had (aside from being sprung for solo duty) was a frayed remote cable.

Maybe that's not a lot, but I ride it hard and the roads around here really suck. The rebuilt shock is absolutely perfect and improved manners greatly on and off road.

As for Wilber's, I've had one for the tub on order from Klaus since Feb 1st now and it's still not done, so as much as I'd like to be able to comment on that I cannot :cry
  3. Dude69

Dude69 Usurper of Gov'ts

Oddometer:
    As I was having my tub buiild by DMC, the Ohlins on my GSA were due (31k miles) for a rebuild. As part of the rebuild, I went up 10% on the fronts and 30% on the rear spring rate.
    When I bought the shocks, I was tippin' 180lbs now 165lbs... so.. with the additional spring rate and droppin' some un-needed pudge, I hope the shocks hold up.

I'm putting her through paces right now on a shakedown prior to my Deadhorse run this summer. If it fails, it should do it sooner than later...
  4. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hate to drag up old threads but did you guys try Lindeman and if so how did they do?

I am getting ready to tear mine down and do some 100,000 mile maintenance now that Winter is her and I need to do something with the stock shock.
  5. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    I've known Gil Vaillancourt (the founder & CEO of Works Performance) for many years. I just had them build shocks for all 3 corners of my 2007 GSA/Dauntless rig. What an unbelievable difference! Call and ask for Pierre (GIl's son) 818.701.1010 he knows exactly what the set up is you need for both the tug and tub. I know because their shop is about 10 min from my house and Pierre & I made a few slight changes/adjustments/tweeks & got it perfect.

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html
  6. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree.Ihad all three built also. Now all I Need is one of Claudes swaybar systems I'd be set....
  7. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd drag this thread to the first page to attempt to read about what eveyone runs for front springs on their based rigs. I run an Ohlins 12-56 and have a shortened Telelever A frame steering mod and it seems fine but I'm new and don't have allot of loaded bike experience.What's everyone run ?
  8. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave just ride the the crap outa the thing!! LOL
  9. davebig

Oddometer:
    I know I know ,Claude but its raining here and the world is turning to one huge sheet of ice !!
  10. eastbloc

Oddometer:
    My OEM front shock has given up the ghost after 12 years of duty -- I find myself bottoming out over speed humps and big potholes.

Who has replaced their front, with what, and what parameters? Did you go for a stiffer/longer/shorter spring? I see it as a good opportunity to boost up my ground clearance, which has diminished considerably from the steering mod combined with the Stroker front wheel. I do have a spare Adventure shock laying around somewhere, which might do the trick and last a few more thou, but I'd rather have it sorted for good seeing as how I have proper shocks on the side and the rear now.
  11. Stroker

Stroker motorcycle traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    My rig is on the heavy side but a Wilbers model 641w/option 625(remote adjustable preload) and a 59/59-245-175 coil spring works for me. I believe that the Paralever geometry is slightly different between the 1100 and 1150 models. If you have a sway-bar the sidecar and rear suspension will affect each other as well. On the front I have a YSS shock with a Hyper-Pro coil spring, 1cm longer than stock with adjustability for another 1cm. This takes care of the smaller front wheel. I'll check the front coil spec ASAP.
  12. davebig

Oddometer:
    A couple of thoughts my fronts got a 12-56 with the shortened A frame the lever compressing the spring is shorter I don't seem to need as much spring. One of Strokers wheels and my install of a 145/65/15 front tire tipped me down, it didn't seem to make much difference in handling but I was down to about 6+." clearance under the sub frame, I had no pre load on front Ohlins cranked in 1/4" pre load and a 3/8" spacer at top of front shock and my subframe sits level. 65 series tires front and rear.
    While in garage this morning I checked my other GS it has a shortened torque arm in the rear, that pulls the front end up its got just over 8" under the skid plate, Tug GS has just over 7" I bought another billet torque arm and will be shortening it to see if I can get a little more height.Even for a serial tweaker this sidecar stuff is tedious. DB
  13. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I got my stock wheel with a DMC trail reducer, and I use an Ohlins 216 shock with a Adventure-length shaft. It has a 15/62 spring which is rated at 354 lbs/inch. Last summer was the first season using it, and I was really pleased with it.
  14. davebig

Oddometer:
    http://www.yacugar.com/products/shocks-road/shock-options.html
    Mikepa's images of busted Ohlins, gave me pause to wonder, my current shocks have allot of miles but not many with a chair.
    I called Ted Porter :http://www.beemershop.com/ in CA about buying a Wilbers for the rear of my CSM GSA rig, I've been one of Teds customers before and like him.I have Ohlins and have no complaints but only about 4k miles with chair. He suggested the Yacugar it's on sale and has a 16mm shaft and steel body, they and Hyperpro are evidently the leftovers from WP that KTM acquired and moved to Austria. Ted had lots of reasons that he felt Ohlins were not sidecar suitable mostly cause they are lightly built as a performance shock.They have 4-5wk lead time so we shall see.DB
  15. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    DB--How big a spring you getting?
  16. eastbloc

Oddometer:
    If I recall correctly, I got a 500lb spring on my Ohlins rebuild (or whatever the stiffest possible from the OEM was) and it's perfect for me at 235lbs.
  17. davebig

Oddometer:
    Good question, they demand that they take your info and select what spring Yacugar thinks is right to start out with or they won't warranty the shock should it be damaged, so I estimated the chair at 350,GSA with Jesse luggage etc remembering that I think you scaled yours and said it weighed 850ish I said it should come in around 900ish.DB
  18. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Interesting approach. Wouldja ask Ted to find out what spring they end up choosing for you so you can post it up here or on your "small Schnauzer" thread, then later you can tell us if they guessed right or not? :lol3

FWIW, on my rear Ohlins, I have a very very big spring, I use no preload (for maximum travel and most comfortable on-road ride), and I have the rebound damping turned up pretty high.
  19. davebig

Oddometer:
    I had planned to post, I'm up two numbers over what Ohlins like for 1150gsa's spring rate per Stieg Pettersens recommendation for loaded GS's and it felt too stiff but it could be the spring roads etc, I've wanted a spare shock as I have a spare front Ohlins so as not to be caught with a broken rig for too long, but the swaybar adds spring rate also and I'm cranking in a little swaybar today.DB
  20. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Bought this fournales shock (unused but cheap) second hand a few years back. It was to fit a GS 1150 I think but may be an 1100. Next to it is the stock shock from my Vstrom that was not up to sidecar duties so I adapted the Fournale to fit and it works a treat so far. Ride height? Just add more pressure. gives a very smooth ride and is next to impossible to bottom out. Bonus for me was a bit more ground clearance over the Suzuki shock.
    Down side?
    A bit tedious to adjust pressures.
    Pricey new and it would be better if I had a sway bar fitted as it leans a bit in corners.
    For some they may be nervous about sudden pressure loss making the hack all but unridable but it is not my experience so far.
    Oh and I had to get a special hand pump rated to 600psi :eek1 as I run between 300 to 400 psi. The shock is rated to 4000psi fail I believe.
    I know this is about Beemers but the shock is applicable.
    Cheers Bruce