Hauling a Goldwing w/Hannigan GTL Sidecar

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by zenduddhist, Aug 8, 2012.

1. zenduddhist

zenduddhist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at buying an enclosed trailer to haul my 2007 Goldwing with Hannigan GTL Sidecar. Has anyone done this before? I have a flat bed trailer I could use, but am thinking about buying an enclosed trailer. There are many options ranging from a regular cargo trailer to a lower profile motorcycle specfic trailer to a car hauler.

Also, not exactly sure what width I would need, but it looks like I will need an 8.5 foot. Thinking 12 foot to 16 foot in length.

We like to trailer a bike to a certain location, say, Bozeman, MT., and then park the truck/trailer for a couple of days while we explore the surrounding area, staying at various motels and towns. Then we pack up and drive to another state or region, park and do it again. Makes for a great "home base" in case of bad weather.

Would appreciate any comments, suggestions, opinions, wisecracks or bad jokes...

Thanks,

Chris
  2. ooweel

ooweel Throwing wrenches one at a time

Oddometer:
    Enclosed, Enclosed, Enclosed:deal

We are getting into the same situation soon.

My wife (still works) and I are talking about doing the same thing. When we get her to retire, we plan on traveling pulling a trailer for the rig. We have many miles two up, this time doing it with a Sidecar months at a time. Doing the same thing, find a place to home base the "STUFF" and ride the rig out from there and back on our schedule or the weathers schedule. And move about at a leisurely pace.

I have done a lot of dirt bike and sand stuff and nuttin is better than an enclosed trailer for when you are away from it. Helps keep your stuff, "YOUR STUFF" generally. Besides when you are rolling from place to place iffin YOUR STUFF falls off while in the trailer, YOUR STUFF is still with you, albeit dirty and scratched up from sliding around on the floor but you still got it! For me Lesson Lernt:deal:lol3:eek1:lol3:eek1:lol3

I am down to one 10K GVW equipment trailer. The enclosed trailer I want will be tandem axle , torsion bar suspension with 4 wheel brakes loading ramp door with dual side entries or and nose entry plus one door.

Some of the upsides include. You can safely store tools and parts. Use as storage while out and about. Makes a clean environment to work on the bike iffin the trailer is the right size and doors are in the proper spots. Plus once you get it rigged loading, unloading and securing the rig can become a one man job.

Hows that for Dos Centavo's:eek1
  3. jpalamar

jpalamar Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a motorhome and seriously thought of trailering in an enclosed trailer. After much research and effort I decided that the time/effort and frustrations were not worth it.

I wanted a single AXLE trailer. It's almost impossible to find a trailer large enough to haul my BMW GS Adv with DMC sidecar (wide one) without going to a custom trailer manufacturer. Simply said, select a Haulmark, etc. and you will have to go with a dual axle trailer.

Then you get to the ramp and the width you lose if the trailer has any LIP around the door/entrance/ramp. No matter what, it's going to be close. The weight of course will demand trailer brakes to be legal and while inertia brakes seem to be ok for boat trailers apparently a no-no I was told for non-boat trailers. Can't verify this. But, trailer brakes needed and of course then a brake controller in tow vehicle.

Some life style changes put a damper on this project for me, but it would be worthwhile to talk to anyone that tows with an enclosed trailer. E.g. Jay or Barry at DMC passed along some info that pretty much put the shutdown on trailering. It just ain't that easy as no matter what, it's a tight fit, and anyone who's towed anything can affirm that trailering is a PITA.
  4. MeanMoe

MeanMoe one really mean cat

Oddometer:
    I trailered my Kawasaki Concours/Hannigan Sprint on a UHaul auto trailer. My Pace trailer is a 7x14 with 5'9" between the door jams so I was forced into an open trailer.
  5. airspro

airspro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To a spot like this ?

[​IMG]

Here's what I use ( don't have a sidecar yet ) A 24Ft Kaddy Kruiser .
    http://www.rvingplanet.com/brands/kaddy-kruiser/kdx/toy-hauler-travel-trailers/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is at Houghton Lake , Michigan North Shore Campground .

[​IMG]

Most times we overnight in these types of campgrounds , ha >

[​IMG]

Anyway I got the trailer with the idea of having a hack on my bike . I have talked to Claude and he told me about the Hanagian Classic and that's my plan atm . The back door is a bit over 7 feet wide . So far have not had the pleasure to get a rig inside trailer "yet" . I can say with a rear garage the smell stays in the back , and the front is for living and no motorcycle smells . I run a Honda generator inside the garage with a add on high proformace fan in the ceiling so can have run the elect mornings for coffee and toast without opening the back door with no problems .

Our plan is taking this in 3 years all over the country and staying for weeks at a time and using it as you said as a "base camp" .

Hope this might help .
    best
    spro

PS: Anyone chime in on total width of rigs would be nice . Can't think that they would be wider than the present door ?
  6. Jimm Dandy

Jimm Dandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thats gonna be a TOUGH1.. I have hauled bikes in trailers ALLL MY life.. prolly owned 75 bikes and 30 trailers over the years.. just got a yamaha royal star venture w a hack and because it wouldnt fit in the 2 enclosed trailers i have now i ended up buying a flatbed landscape type trailer to haul it.. it is single axle and not sure of the with . i believe its 7'6" between the rails.. never the less its a tight fit and not all that easy to calculate when loading.. my recommedantion would be not only to consider the width but also the height...ya gotta either go for it and hope for the best.. or inch up the ramp.. when ya get to the trailer.. and that can be hard on clutches especially w a steeper ramp.. my traierl had the standard 4ft hinged expanded metal ramp and I lengthened it to 7ft.. good luck
  7. airspro

airspro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep toyhaulers have extra height in the back for just this reason . More headroom to ride it in and longer ramp for ease of entry . Total width of bike and car will be something that maybe Claude will or can help me with . I am planing a June trip to see him and his shop . Wife don't know it yet but should be fun to see the area , etc .
  8. Jimm Dandy

Jimm Dandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i was referring to the height of the deck which leads to steepness of ramp
  9. cleatusj

cleatusj Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer:
    102" is the max legal across most of the U.S. and then most trailers that wide are custom order. That is max outside width including wheels and lights. Door opening would be 8 foot or less.
  10. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless you go custom build and still be legal(as in get licensed)I think you're going to be hard pressed finding a trailer with an interior width of 8.5 feet or even 8 foot unless the wheel wells are internal. For a flat deck the best you'll come up with is 7 foot inside.
  11. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    What is the max width of your rig?

I pull my Ural to many places inside this. The Ural fits with room to spare.

Got a full kitchen and bathroom too. Sleeps 4 comfortably.

[​IMG]
  12. out rider

out rider You Go First

Oddometer:
    I have a BMW r1200RT with a Hannigan Bandito. Way to wide for most any trailer. I have been eyeing the snowmobile enclosed trailers that look like they may just fit the bill. If you find that that works please post back with pictures and measurements if possible.
  13. 2Tracker

2Tracker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I pull an Aluma Motorcycle trailer behind my motorhome or F-150. It is 81" between the enclosed fenders with 2 moto rails full length. The trailer is 2 wheel, rock guard V front and is just over 12 feet. It is very light being only 700 lbs. It carries a 4' ramp underneath. Rubber torsion bar suspension and is rock steady loaded or not. It cost about 2700 dollars brand new out the door (2001). It is a production trailer and not special order.

My K1200LT with a Hannigan KLT sidecar goes up on it easily. Whether it is my rig or my solo K1100LT or the KLR I operate a winch to do the pulling. 3 HD relays and and feed wire + 45 feet of telephone wire to my handlbar control box makes loading a breeze.

I wrenched my back loading my K1200LT as a solo inside an enclosed trailer and felt that it wasn't worth the injury (wrestle) to get a big 2 wheel moto in and out of one. One has to decide if cycle cleanup after a "weather" trip is worth for an open trailer................... Campground parking is very easy even with out pull-thru since I can tow my outfit around by hand with a lite dolly.

This setup is light and handles beautifully. Not too expensive and has seen many trips across NA. & Alaska. My trips focus on fishing......................... so I frequently spend weeks at one spot and then move on. Well, until my wife reels me home.................... :D!

Trailer is 102" max outside to outside of each wheel/tire. This is the max width for USA and Canada with out an ad hoc permit.