Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    He says in another forum they are 25mm across. So not the frame rail luggage bungs. Anyway they are a flatter profile than the pictured item. They also screw in/out. This item is a push fit

For the life of me though I can't remember seeing that bung on the 800.
  2. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You right...

Oh guys you with your imperial inches! :lol3 I always miss that.

And yes - rear ones are screw in, I remember now - when I took them out to mount tool tube.

Perhaps it has come out of garden chair left in garage? :lol3
  3. ArmyDOC

ArmyDOC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great forum and great info. Just bought a '12 Tiger and couldn't be happier. A lot of great information on this thread and al the insight help me come to the conclusion that the Tiger would be my next bike.

Had a Uly for a couple years. It was a great bike, but the Tiger even makes these cold morning commutes to work fun!!

Again, thanks for all the "useful" info on this thread.

JS
  4. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:

Welcome to the asylum. :clap
  5. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. mcridr

mcridr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Long time member but new (5 days) to the Tiger clan. I have noticed that the 800 is geared a little tall or should I say that the close ratio trans makes it appear that way. 1st could be a little lower. Anyone changing the rear to a tooth or two larger and if so what vendor are you using. Are you able to use the OEM chain with out removing a link? I realize that one on the front would be easier but that just moves the rear wheel back even further, close to the limit of the adjuster. I have read through the first 1000 pages with little or no answers to what I am looking for. Someone toss me a Bone.
    Thanks from the "R" in Team MSR
  7. invicta1

invicta1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So my little disposable plugs rather suck. Do you have a suggestion for something that works?
  8. marloweluke

marloweluke The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer:
    I agree that first gear is a little tall, but not really a problem on the Roadie, could be on the XC. I find 6th gear a little short so personally I wouldn't lower the gearing for that reason. I know fbj913 has modified gearing with a custom rear sprocket which he has pics of somewhere in this thread. Not sure if anything aftermarket mass produced is available.
  9. gusutavot800

gusutavot800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. DennyMyBoy

DennyMyBoy Hoping for a GS

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions on a good Tiger 800 forum? I love this one, but curious about finding a forum specifically focused on this model.

There's one I found that seems to mostly draw from Great Britain. Being from the US, I'm more interested in one that draws from the US. Thanks.
  11. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try Surefire Earpros.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  12. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    There is a vendor in the vendor section selling LV for much cheaper than those prices. Sale thru March. Even regular prices on LV is cheaper than that.
  13. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
  14. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    This one is a good mix of Brits and Yanks ; http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?action=forum

this one covers everything ; http://www.triumphtalk.com/content.php
  15. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    Most people that think that way just bung a 15T on the front.
  16. gusutavot800

gusutavot800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    True the LV is cheaper but imho it does sound nearly as good as the two brothers...

The price for the LV on the vendors is not that great I've seen it for $280 on other websites, free shipping.
  17. Ducken

Ducken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Triumph makes a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket, or a Suzuki DL650 stock 15 tooth countershaft sprocket works as well. (2012 V-Strom 650)

If you want to see if you could live with the higher revs at cruising speed, just run around in fifth gear, that will give you the same revs / vibes / feel as sixth gear with a 15 tooth on the front. Because I don't spend much time above 80 mph on my XC, I think it's a worth while trade off for the lower first gear. Ken
  18. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Engle Motors in KC had these custom made. I've ran about 10,000 miles on this one now. It's 2 up from stock. Still on stock chain.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two Brothers is only one step above D&D, as far as quality. You can do what you want, as it's your bike. But, I refused to sell them, when I used to run a parts dept. We had a mechanic, who had one on his 900RR, that agreed with me.

To be honest, I'm not impressed with LV's quality, either. They just don't age very well.

If you want something that'll last, look for full-stainless construction (or aluminum sleeved muffler, if you don't mind polishing/ titanium sleeve, if you don't mind Scotchbrite from time to time).
  20. Poweranger

Poweranger Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I just received a email from Triumph. Maybe this is old news but it says they have a new online system to order accessories. You select your state and dealer you want the parts shipped to.

shop.triumphmotorcycles.com

:beer: