New Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer!!!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. AZ-Twin

AZ-Twin Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer:
    Very nice mate, better fix that sig block! :)

2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Nice report... Did you find the gear box clunk-free and smooth shifting? Have you had a chance to try the DCT?
  3. ishmac

ishmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never tried the DCT version.

But the gearbox is totally seamless up-shifting, fab you lous!!
  4. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Came across this excellent comparison between the CT and Exporer. It does not offer a definitive "winner" except to say that they are both winners but it highlights the off-road capabilities of the CT where 'accepted wisdom' loves to reiterate adnauseum that the CT is no dirt bike, ha, watch this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMxUBtweMbY&playnext=1&list=PL416433DE3FE82F86&feature=results_main

This youtube clip reinforces my earlier assertion that the better rider will always be quicker whichever bike they are riding but in this clip we have two riders of obvious differing riding abilities so it is interesting that the younger guy (and quicker rider) swings toward the Honda while the older guy, more interested in comfort, reckons the Explorer is the go. Horses for courses?
  5. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
  6. twinrider

Oddometer:
    How smooth are the downshifts? Any clunks going into any of the gears?
  7. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, saw that one months ago and dismissed the review as garbage and that was before I began forming my own opinion on either the CT or Explorer. It wasn't hard to conclude that this slow speaking dimwit is either BMW biased or a terrorist on a private mission to bring an end to the Japanese motorcycle industry! I'm not alone on this if you can go by the likes and dislike score.
  8. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3
  9. ishmac

ishmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes downshifting is seamless also, superb!!

A brilliant bike I think, the V4 engine is a peach!! Oh and super smooooooth.
  10. droid

droid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks Rob, fixed!

got the akro pipe on and it sounds really good, buying stuff slowly - aw geez it really is a blast to ride, getting 325km out of a tank and it's so easy to go around corners...i thought maybe it was me but there is now hope!

getting the suspension tuned up on Thursday when it goes in for a service
  11. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Droid, would be nice to see a pic of the bike with the Akra if you have a chance.
  12. droid

droid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    of course

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics mate, did they make a noticeable difference in the power and how's the sound?

Sorry for asking all these questions but you are currently living my bike dream :lol3 Can't even get a test ride here in Japan :cry
  14. AZ-Twin

AZ-Twin Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer:
    Jon,

The bike and exhaust look nice! I like the new truck too, and judging from the contents of the dumpster, Momma got new carpeting in the house too.

Nice!

Looks like you got all your bases covered my friend. :D
  15. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Nice bike Droid.

Was wondering what a twin cab commode was doing in the USA until I saw your location. :lol3
  16. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Born to be blunt Supporter

Oddometer:
    You will never gain extra power by just replacing the exhaust muffler. Only the sound counts. But I'm sure the V4 makes an excellent concerto... ;)

If the purpose is getting extra Bhp, you have to mod the entire exhaust system from cylinder to muffler, add a powercommander, open airfilter, etc.
  17. twinrider

Oddometer:
    My experience with before and after dyno runs (same day) tells me differently. I gained 6hp using slip-on to my VFR800 and 5 more when I went to a full system. Similar experiences with other bikes.

Agree though that uncorking the whole system gives the best results. :)
  18. droid

droid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    don't think the power gain is much though if you look on the akra site and look at honda crosstourer you will see the graphs of the dyno tune, weights and ... sound

here's the link:
    http://www.akrapovic.com/en/Motorcycle/Products/Pages/Product.aspx?BrandId=7eb20b7b-271c-47b2-b9ab-b3c94fbe56e4&ModelId=28d0728c-c833-4977-b4f2-6eab5818ac14&ModelYearId=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&ProductId=11951&ProductFilter=Active&DisplayName=Honda Crosstourer S-H12SO3-HRT+Slip-On+Line+(Titanium)

the sound (without baffle) is throaty at idle and it improves in sound as you wind it on, cracking and popping on decel

hopefully i well get around to putting my contour hd camera on the arse end and posting the u-tube link, it's just that sometimes the mic doesn't work on the damn thing

funny that you can't get one over there, locals should always be treated as red carpet customers just out of respect but yeah well, they go where they sell - hope you get a ride, from most test ride reports i'd say you will want it, a little bit more :D
  19. droid

droid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    oh, yeah that's just hilarious

actually she pulled up the underlay and carpet and put it in the trailer so i can't complain i spose

thank the lord that's the last bedroom, fresh paint, cupboards, carpet, i live in constant fear of the next project (and why i never try to finish the one i'm on)
  20. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the links and info, had akras on my TDM and will likely go the same route if I get a CT.

Honda's official dealer network is selling a limited number of CTs here (reimported) at a premium price but unbelievably is not offering a single demo. Not the best way to sell a bike...