Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. airdale7

airdale7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife purchased a distiller and this ended my stomach pains. Now with your info I understand why. It seems that even here in the heart of the United States there are unseen organisms in the water. :1drink :puke1
  2. McFoil

McFoil Filthy Pig

Oddometer:
    That's a 101 class.
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could teach the advanced class :D
  4. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    Hi!

I just got back from 43 days in Mexico. :D No problems! :clap Spent a lot of time in south Mexico, about a week each in Mexico City and Lazaro Cardenas. All is well. I encountered no problems of any kind! :deal I am still not home, I should get there in a few more days. I have been gone from home 50 days so far. I have also been gone 208 days for the year, but almost 50 of those days were with Tracy in Dallas.

Donnie
  5. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I paid half rate to cross the bridge at Nuevo Laredo last night.
  6. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I used the Auto piste about half way or 280 pesos from Mexico City to Veracruz a few weeks ago. It was not half price there. That stretch equaled more toll road than I have ridden in Mexico combined. I don't need to do that again, even at half price.
  7. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why ?
  8. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    First, I prefer to ride the Libre Roads that go through the small towns. That is how you meet people and make connections. To bypass all of these small towns with a zillion speed bumps pretty much eliminates the reason I go to Mexico! Second, I resent having to pay to use a road that my gas taxes should have already paid for. And third, paying $20US to ride less than 150 miles of mediocre road is not my idea of money well spent. I also don't use the far less expensive toll roads in the US if I don't have to.
  9. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know all that. I just wondered if there was some specific problem on the AutoPiste like construction or something.
    Thanks

Regarding toll roads in the US, in our part of the US, there aren't any.
  10. airdale7

Oddometer:
    Not to change the subject but, what do you consider the top ten towns to avoid in Mexico?:huh
  11. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll get a bunch of opinions on this.....and the answer today is not necessarily the answer tomorrow. Most will advise not spending much time around the border towns. Also, don't loiter around bars, especially late at night. Behave responsibly, with confidence and respect, and most anyplace is OK.
    YMMV
  12. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    The border towns to be sure with the exception of Mexicali and Naco. Mexicali is a clean hard working town that seems to have few problems. Naco is tiny, just down the road from Bisbee, AZ. Have some good dentists working there I've been told. On the whole, I'll agree with acejones. Use the same criteria as in any city. Bars and restaurants with gangster style cars and trucks parked in front are to be avoided
  13. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    I would vote for Cabo & Cancun... Bland, touristy, antiseptic, not the kind of Mexico I like to visit...:deal
  14. airdale7

Oddometer:
    "There are two kinds of lost...not knowing where you are and, not knowing where you are going."
    -ME
  15. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    If I was in Mexico, the top ten towns I would consider avoiding are Atlanta, Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Tucson, San Antonio, New Orleans, Dallas, Albuquerque and Mobile.
  16. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    AMEN! Unless you plan to ride off the map dirt in Mexico you will not need anything but a btl of water in your tankbag.Now if you are trying to run the Baja 1000 maybe then a camelback. I keep one along for "old fart" pill taking & to hydrate. I usually have several. Hit the cold drinks at the Pemex on stops & keep the nalgene & steri-pen for rocky mtn adventures. Mexico is a place to relax & enjoy-water is not an issue there as bottled water is EVERYWHERE.:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink!
  17. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Care to elaborate? Earlier this year I rode to San Antonio and for the most part it was fine, I just found it to be a confusing maze of concrete.
  18. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I think most get my point.
  19. Snownut

Snownut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  20. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost is a state of mind.