Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. pplassm

pplassm Brace for collision! 40488

Oddometer:
    Southmost Metro stop is Springfield. Big Metro sign on I95.

Don't try to take commuter rail trains. They do not run during weekends
    . Parking is free on weekends, too.

See you there.
  2. JHVA

JHVA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read this: http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?111+sum+HB1850

From Tom McGrath's Office:
    All Virginia Motorcyclists need to be aware of House Bill 1850 which has been introduced by Delegate Christopher Stolle of <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Virginia Beach</st1:city></st1:place>. It prohibits any child under the age of eight from riding on a motorcycle. If you have a child, grandchild, niece, nephew, cousin or neighbor who enjoys riding with you and is under the age of eight they would be unable to do so anymore if this bill passes. I know that many of you share memories like mine. My daughter and I have spent many hours since she was six riding at events such as the Vets ride, the 911 ride, etc. She has learned responsibility, charity and patriotism in part from her contact with motorcyclists and the motorcycling community. Delegate Stolle wishes to rob future generations of such memories.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    The Virginia Coalition of Motorcyclists (VCOM) strongly opposes this bill. In an effort to understand the reasoning behind this bill, Jim Cannon and I met with Delegate Stolle this morning. He advised us that the bill was introduced at the request of the Chief of Police of Virginia Beach. The Delegate also clearly believes in this bill. His reasoning was that Virginia Code already requires children under age eight to be restrained when traveling in any motor vehicle and that this bill merely clarifies the code. He also felt it was a safety issue. Despite our arguments he held firm to his position.<o:p></o:p>
    Let&#8217;s look at the Delegate&#8217;s arguments. First, Virginia Code Section 46.2-1095 requires that any person who drives on the highways of <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:state w:st="on">Virginia</st1:state></st1:place> any motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1968, shall ensure that any child, up to age eight, whom he transports therein, is provided with and properly secured in a child restraint device. (emphasis added). You do not place a child in a motorcycle. It is impossible to get in a motorcycle. You get on a motorcycle and therefore the child is being transported thereon not therein. As such this section does not apply to motorcycles. When this legislation passed not a single member of the General Assembly was considering motorcycles. If the delegate wants to clear up the code he can do so by adding motorcycles to section E of the statute which lists vehicles to which the statute does not apply, such as taxicabs, school buses and limousines. <o:p></o:p>
    The Delegate&#8217;s safety argument also fails. According to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles there have been fourteen children age eight and under injured as motorcycle passengers over the past three years. That is an average of less than five per year. There have been no deaths in the past three years. How is this safety issue? It seems to me that the motorcycling parents of this Commonwealth are doing a pretty good job of deciding for themselves when their children are ready to be motorcycle passengers. <o:p></o:p>
    I would urge all motorcyclists to call and/or email Delegate Stolle and voice your concerns over HB 1850. Delegate Stolle&#8217;s phone number is (804) 698-1083. His email address is DelCStolle@house.virginia.gov <o:p></o:p>
    I would also urge you to contact your legislator and let him or her know how you feel. You can find the contact information for every legislator at the following link: <o:p></o:p>
    http://lis.virginia.gov/111/mbr/MBR.HTM<o:p></o:p>
    It is of great importance do this now. The session is only 45 days long and this bill could come up in sub-committee soon. When VCOM receives notification of the subcommittee meeting we will put out another notification so that anyone who wishes to attend can. The more motorcyclists we have in sub-committee the more likely we can defeat this assault on the rights of motorcyclists. You can also follow VCOM on twitter @VAMotorcyclist. <o:p></o:p>
    I would also strongly urge you to attend Lobby Day this Monday, January 17, 2011. Come to the Capitol with other motorcyclists and tell Delegate Stolle and other legislators how you feel about this bill and other matters of interest to Virginia Motorcyclists. There will be a legislative meeting starting at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday January 16 at the <st1:placename w:st="on">Holiday</st1:placename> <st1:placetype w:st="on">Inn</st1:placetype> <st1:placetype w:st="on">Airport</st1:placetype> in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Sandston</st1:city>, <st1:state w:st="on">VA.</st1:state></st1:place> We will discuss all upcoming legislation and how to speak with your legislators. After the meeting there will be a free BBQ Dinner cooked by Stewart Newton. The next morning we will depart for the Capitol where you will have access to members of the General Assembly and their aids. After we speak with the senators and delegates we will go to Penny Lane Pub where lunch will be served compliments of <st1:personname w:st="on"><st1:personname w:st="on">Tom</st1:personname> McGrath</st1:personname>&#8217;s Motorcycle Law Group. I hope to see you there.<o:p></o:p>
    If you have any questions or comments concerning this or any other matters please feel free to contact me.<o:p></o:p>
    Matt Danielson<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:personname w:st="on"><st1:personname w:st="on">Tom</st1:personname> McGrath</st1:personname>'s Motorcycle Law Group<o:p></o:p>
    1-800-321-8968<o:p></o:p>
    www.motorcyclelawgroup.com
  3. SRMN8R

SRMN8R Down & Out

Oddometer:
    Have you tried yelling, screaming, cursing, and throwing the computer across the room?

It doesn't usually work for me, but that's what I usually do.

Just a thought.
  4. jwray76

jwray76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks, I am not sure what time we will be heading up but will look into springfield schedule. I will try to catch you at the show to say hi.
  5. niceviewbehindbars

niceviewbehindbars out enjoying the vu

Oddometer:

This is getting ridiculous. They need to move on to something more important.

My little boy has had a dirt bike since before his 3rd birthday. By the time he is 16 he will better because of it. It's not just about riding motorcycles. It's life lessons. There will be others that follow. I'll teach him how to drive a car when he is 10 or so and a straight drive at that.

Those ding dongs don't understand this. There going to have to take me jail before I take his dirt bike away from him.

As far as I can tell the is no age limit for riding on the back of a motorcycle on the street, is there? I did get some funny looks the last time we rode to church together. :lol3
  6. JHVA

JHVA Long timer

Oddometer:
    several threads ago and not sure what to look for in searching for it (tried already) there was a guy demo'ing a new fangled wearble sleeping bag. Anyone have a link to that vid or the name of the bag?

thanks,

j
  7. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was me.... REI featured the Exped Dreamwalker
  8. SRMN8R

SRMN8R Down & Out

Oddometer:
    I believe the intent of that law is to totally prohibit children under the age of 8 to be a passenger or operator of any motorcycle. At least, that's the way it will be interpreted as the bill is currently worded. (Note that this is a bill that will amend and already poorly worded piece of legislation.)

I would be very surprised if this bill finds any traction. Most likely, it was written as "payback" to someone who has an issue w/ kids on bikes. Still, it's worth a call or note to your legislator in the House.
  9. Greenflyfarmer

Greenflyfarmer I'm better now.

Oddometer:
    HB 1850

It would seem to me that this would also outlaw taking kids on side by sides like Kawasaki Mules or even the family tractor if you went on a hayride down a country lane! I just sent off my email on this.
  10. SRMN8R

SRMN8R Down & Out

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty certain that side by sides and tractors do not meet the legal definition of a motorcycle. Only motorized 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles...

Regardless, it's bad legislation and should be stopped.

I was goose hunting with some of our legislators a little over a week ago. Had I known about the bill then, I could have spoken with them about it in person. I guess I need to set up another hunt...
  11. pplassm

pplassm Brace for collision! 40488

Oddometer:
    It's just like the stupid federal lead law (CPSIA). The real intent is concealed.
  12. Greenflyfarmer

Greenflyfarmer I'm better now.

Oddometer:
    Jimmy you are right, when you look at the link and not just the post text, only motorcycles, three wheelers are excluded though. How about a side car?

Virginia just gets more and more strict about everything, no wiggle room for personal freedom.
  13. SRMN8R

SRMN8R Down & Out

Oddometer:
    Yep, I think sidecars would be included. Case law has probably already spoken to that.
  14. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    What really concerns me about this bill is no mention of dirtbikes. So...no more XR50's or PW50's for the kids in the backyard?
  15. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
    That could be a loop hole. No plate ? Might not qualify as a bike.

This is bad policy. I do get a kick out of the T. Mcgrath lawyer bringing "patriotism" into play in the first paragraph. True blue Americans from the left and right have chiseled away at our rights for years.
    I oppose this law change because it is misguided . Don't try to get my hackles up by calling my love of country into question.

that stuff always makes me chuckle.:deal
  16. kwn306

kwn306 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Law should be that the childs feet have to rest on the passenger foot pegs and be able to stand up on the pegs to lift themselves off the seat no matter the age, IMHO

It was either 3 or 5 years ago in VA a young child (I think 5 - 6 yrs old) was riding with his father, the kid was secured to Dad with a harness, fell asleep, rocked over to the right side, feet didn't touch the foot pegs, foot ended up in the rear spokes, kid lost his right foot.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for my grandson to be able to ride, with ATGATT, but common sense needs to be used, age shouldn't be a factor if this bill moves forward.

Between the Feds and the lead paint rule and VA with the 8 year old rule, kids are doomed to become X Box / WII vegtables.
  17. niceviewbehindbars

niceviewbehindbars out enjoying the vu

Oddometer:
    Yea, I didn't read it all the way through. I thought it was something about that lead law that has been ongoing for the last couple years. I emailed my legislator.
  18. Smiziley

Smiziley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fix it yet?

This might help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928737
  19. JHVA

JHVA Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just venting...
    During the past several weeks, I have intermittently seen a Chesterfield County Pirate running radar just outside of my neighborhood. While I have never paid him any mind, this morning I was lucky enough to receive a personal greeting from Officer Scuderi due to a two week old expired inspection sticker on my truck.
    I was honestly VERY surprised that this young man (who obviously wasn't going to waste his time giving me a warning while standing outside at 7:38 am when it's 19 degrees) wrote me a summons to go to court in March! Seriously!? Do you really think I'm going to blow a whole morning seeing patients for a $75 fine!?
    Now, I know that he sees me as a dangerous lawbreaker with a spotless 26 year old driving record screaming down the road at 27 mph in a 25 mph zone with my 5 year old partner in crime strapped into his car seat on my way to daycare with a inspection sticker that is TWO WEEKS overdue, but don't you think he could have simply said "get it inspected before I see you again on Monday!"
    I guess you know what I'll be telling the Chesterfield County Police Foundation when they call me again this year asking for another donation...