The Lifan engine thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by hugemoth, Feb 22, 2011.

1. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    Lifan engines are commonly used on pit bikes and as replacement engines for Honda Super Cubs, Trail 70s, 90s, and other small scooters. Tell us your success stories and your horror stories with Lifan engines.

My story is one of success. I currently own 3 Lifan engines and used to own a 4th.

First one I bought was a Lifan 200cc dual sport motorcycle in 2007. It's a good runner that has never missed a beat in 24,000 miles with only normal maintenance. 1 spark plug, several valve adjustments, many oil changes.

Second one I bought was a 110cc manual clutch to put in a 71 Trail 90. Gave it to my daughter who put about 2,500 trouble free miles on it before selling it. Only normal maintenance. Oil changes, valve adjustments, 1 spark plug.

Third one I bought was another 110cc manual clutch to put in a 68 Trail 90 resurrected from the back yard junk pile. 2200 trouble free miles then engine transferred to a 65 Super Cub where it continues to run perfectly.

Forth one is a 140cc manual clutch to put on the 68 CT 90 for more power. Only 250 miles on this one so far but it's a strong runner with lots of torque. This will be my main commute and trail bike this season when I expect gas to be over $4 gal.

Here are pics of the Lifan powered bikes.

The 200 Lifan dual sport and 71 Trail 90 with Lifan 110 engine.

[​IMG]

68 Trail 90 rat bike with Lifan 140.

[​IMG]

65 Super Cub with Lifan 110.

[​IMG]
  2. Bandit Bill

Bandit Bill Newfie Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between Hamilton, Ontario and Hell
    I've only dealt with one Lifan motor so far, and though the motor still has very limited miles on it so far, i'm impressed with it's quality (some would say that's an oxymoron with anything Chinese.. but nevertheless).

I also have bought a Lifan 140cc manual clutch model, and installed it into a CT70 project. Very impressed with it's power output - I built the project up with an extended swingarm, expecting a power increase .. and wasn't disappointed.

[​IMG]

I'm in a bit of a conflict now, with my next project. the '82 C70 Passport that i'm currently working on - either tearing the stock motor down and rebuilding it with a 108cc stroker kit, 4 speed manual transmission, beefed up clutch, new carburetor, oil cooler, etc.. vs dropping in a Lifan in it's place at less than half the cost involved, including all necessary other mods necessary to do so.. I've been stopped on the project while i work through that decision process, precisely because my original experience with a Lifan has been good so far.
  3. PinkSteel

PinkSteel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My winter project this year was to install a Lifan 125 semi auto into my wife's 1981 C70 Passport, and upgrade the 6v to a 12v system.

I debated about this for years....intrigued by more power, but intimidated by the fitment and wiring. Overall, it was surprisingly easy...with help from the drawings at DrATV, Hooper, and the Yahoo Clone Group files. Added a new front sprocket too, so she'll better be able to keep up with me.

But I have yet to fire it up. Soon, as the weather improves.

Questions for the more experienced...how do I find TDC, what are the valve gap settings, and how did you break yours in?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  4. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    The big valve 125 engines should be set at .003" and .004". There is a TDC mark on the flywheel which is easy to get to by removing the left side cover.

My break in method is to take it a bit easy for the first couple hundred miles. Others will surely have different recommendations. I don't think it matters much.

spokester likes this.
  5. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
  6. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    The POS Lifan 200 left me stranded in far southeastern Oregon. Broken rod put a hole through the case.

Just kidding.

The 200 has clicked over to 28,000 and the 140 has hit 1,400. Running great, no problems.

Over the next few months I expect to put well over 5000 more miles on each of the bikes while traveling around the west with my daughter.
    showoff and Scooter Addict like this.
  7. jcmcc

jcmcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hugemoth, That is the highest mileage chinese cycle i have heard of.. pretty impressive!

How is the rest of the bike holding up, aside from the engine? What speed can it cruise at?
  8. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    The rest of the bike is holding up great. I've gone through several tires, a couple chains, a set of front brake pads, a battery, hand grips, that's about it. Tightened the spokes once. No broken or loose bolts ever. Removed some baffles from the muffler and increased outlet size, replaced stock air filter with a foam Unifilter, changed main jet from 98 to 108. Cruises pretty well at a GPS checked speed of 65 and will push past 70, flat ground, no wind, 4000' elevation.
    yamtastic likes this.
  9. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm digging that upswept pipe on the supercub Mr MOth:rofl!! That thing says... DON"T MESS WIT ME.........SUCKAH!!
  10. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    Ditto on the first 2 to 3 hundred mile break-in. Change the oil often, like after 150 miles initially if not maybe 100 miles and keep changing it at 500 to 700 mile intervals there after. The transmission gears break down the oil viscosity, and the less than a quart sump capacity doesn't have much thermal cooling, especially if you're running it hard.

They make oil coolers for these engines

Just passed to 6000 mile point with the Lifanhaha, still on it's second spark plug. Never gets very dirty. The PK Keihin clone carbs these engines come with are pretty bulletproof.
    Ruffian likes this.
  11. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    lifans are a great motor , the 125 and 140 cc's are a strong motor with miles expected in the 8,000 with minor maintenance

i ride a hotted up honda z50 and have used there motors for a long time , form the 125 to the 150 cc , the later was the motor i had the most problems with

150only has a small oil capacity 800mls including the cooler , for rd use it was just not enough at high revs at prolonged speeds

my pick of the 3 is the 140 by far , left standard the motor will run for over 10,000 kms problem free

i have now upgraded my motor for the daytona 150cc in my street monkey bike , this is a lil more on the expensive side of the china motors but , money well spent :evil

heres a small vid and a few pics of my bike

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y6BY2b8Cnjk" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="349"></iframe>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Rawrr!

Oddometer:
    That is a bitchin scooter! Looks like one I have stashed deep in my shed. Something's wrong with the motor, it doesn't run like it used to.
  13. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    Mileage update:

The Lifan 200 has turned over 35,000 miles. Running great with zero problems. Oil changes, valve adjustments, and 1 new spark plug are the only things that have ever been done to it.

The Lifan 140 has turned over 4600 miles. Also running great with zero problems. Oil changes, valve adjustments, and replacement of the crappy oil cooler lines which started to leak (not Lifan made).
  14. PTC

PTC Turd polisher

Oddometer:
    hey moth< great work there! i am interested in how the 140 was fitted to the ct90. i have a st90 that i am interested in installing one into. i cant find any good info and i believe the ct and st share the same motor configuration. how easy did it adapt as far as motor mounting and electronics, exhaust... any info would be great. thanks and happy holidays
    :freaky
  15. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    Swapping CTs over to Lifan engines takes me about a full weekend but I am an experienced mechanic. Fitting a Lifan 140 to an ST90 should be just as easy or easier than putting it in a CT 90. I'd recommend joining this yahoo group for info:
    http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/honda_clone

16. PTC

PTC Turd polisher

Oddometer:
    thanks hugemoth, could spend days looking. ive just rebuilt the original(spring seat broke and ended up bending the intake valve, aside from the head, everything was in great shape. but ohboy this thing could use a few more ponies and a manual clutch would be the cats ass!:evil
  17. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    I've owned CT90s since 1971 (among larger bikes) and although they were great for exploring trails they were too slow for the daily commute to work. The 140 made it into a much more practical bike that I find myself using every day, both on road and off road.

18. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    It's been over 25,000 miles since I cleaned the centrifugal oil filter in the 200 so today I did it and took a few pics. Here's what it looks like with the clutch side cover off. From left to right is the clutch, centrifugal oil filter, counterbalance shaft, and below is the oil pump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still running great. I'm planning on doing this to the 140 later today and will post pics of that one too.
    inmatenumber1 likes this.
  19. yzmaico

yzmaico Slacker

Oddometer:
    It would be really neat if Lifan started making last Gen XR250, XR400:clap
    glittleman likes this.
  20. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    Here are some pics of inside the clutch cover on the Lifan 140. This engine can be started in any gear because the clutch is mounted on the transmission input shaft where Lifan engines smaller than 120cc must be started in neutral because the clutch is mounted on the crankshaft, electric start engines excepted. The centrifugal filter is heavy steel to act as a second flywheel. It also has a oil filter screen in the same position as the small Honda engines. This engine has just under 10,000 miles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]