2011 AMA KTM Shenandoah 500 National 2-Day Dual Sport - Oct 1st & 2nd

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by VA Rider, Aug 13, 2011.

1. VA Rider

VA Rider New Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    ** IMPORTANT ** - Pre-registration for the 2011 AMA KTM Shenandoah 500 National 2-Day Dual Sport will open up via ONLINE PRE-REGISTRATION ONLY this upcoming Monday, August 15th in the late afternoon on the WATR home page at http://watr.us/ . If you would like to be put on the Shenandoah 500 email list to receive event specific information, please send an email to dualsport@nvtr.org

PLEASE NOTE: This event is ONLINE PRE-REGISTRATION ONLY! No entries accepted after Friday, September 2, 2011 or 200 riders, whichever comes first. NO MAILED IN PRE-REGISTRATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED!! NO POST-ENTRIES!!

REQUIREMENTS TO RIDE: Your bike must be fully street-licensed, with a hard tag or a documented temporary tag. You must show current and matching registration for your bike, as well as a valid drivers license and current AMA membership card. Your bike must be equipped with a USFS-approved spark arrestor and pass the AMA sound test.

The National Forest Service monitors our behavior closely! Irresponsible riders need not apply. Please save your enduro riding skills for an enduro!

THE RIDE: Approximately 500 km (300 miles) total over both days of scenic back roads, dirt roads and trails.

THE LOCATION: Natural Chimneys Park, Mt. Solon VA, 12 miles southwest of Harrisonburg, VA off Interstate 81. GPS: 38.4371, 79.0119

DIFFICULTY: Relaxed and fun for all riders with some trail riding and road experience. Optional 'hero' sections for the more experienced and adventurous riders. This is not a race!

ACCOMMODATIONS: Camping will be available (with running water bathrooms and hot showers) for Friday and Saturday night at Natural Chimneys Park Campground. Please call 540-350-2510 to make your camping reservations ASAP. Electric hook-ups are available. If you are not interested in camping, there are numerous hotels also available around nearby Harrisonburg, VA.

Natural Chimneys Park Info - http://www.co.augusta.va.us/Index.aspx?page=616

Natural Chimneys Park Campground Info - http://www.co.augusta.va.us/Index.aspx?page=617

FOOD: Entry fee includes lunch for Saturday and Sunday. Hot breakfast available Sat. & Sun. Spaghetti dinner available Saturday night.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: Ultra Heavy Duty (UHD) inner tubes in both your front and rear tires are highly recommended to help minimize the chance of pinch flats.

QUESTIONS?: Feel free to email us directly with any questions you might have - dualsport@nvtr.org

We hope to see you on the trail with us in October!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS3ZfjOR_kg&feature=player_embedded
  2. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    IN! but likely without the totally awesome Dual-Sport MX sidecar - I need more than 1 passenger and can't find a spare manly enough to do the job.
  3. BluWolf

BluWolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In. First off road rally ever.
  4. Motocox

Motocox We will call him Thunder!

Oddometer:
    We are In.
    450 EXC
    WR 250
    XR 400
    super sherpa...
    :1drink

5. VA Rider

VA Rider New Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm sure someone on this forum will step up and hang off that sidecar with you. Cheers.
  6. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    some pics from last year to whet your appetite! This is a great ride and highly recommended.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. gastone

gastone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Edit: Better try to sneak it by the wifey before I declare my in-ness.

Edit II: I snuck it by her... In!
  8. 1Bonehead

1Bonehead Fearless of Falling

Oddometer:
    In!
  9. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    How passenger friendly is this ride? Are the tougher stretches something she could get off and walk pretty quickly through? Two-up-able on a KLR?
  10. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    I think the answer depends on how good a rider you are. I saw Lafferty leave a bunch of guys in the dust in Joisey when he was two up.
  11. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    All signed up! Will probably not do it with a passenger unless I magically find a KTM 990 between now and then and get some A level riding skill.
  12. BluWolf

BluWolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just registered.
  13. Glowplug

Glowplug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. nvtr

nvtr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

2011 AMA KTM Shenandoah 500 National 2-Day Dual Sport - Oct 1st & 2nd

The 17th annual AMA KTM Shenandoah 500 National 2-Day Dual Sport returns this upcoming October 1st & 2nd

Pre-registration for the 2011 AMA KTM Shenandoah 500 National 2-Day Dual Sport is now open up via ONLINE PRE-REGISTRATION ONLY at http://watr.us/

An event flyer will be released, however it will NOT have a pre-registration form. Pre-registrations will ONLY be ACCEPTED via ONLINE.

PLEASE NOTE: This event is ONLINE PRE-REGISTRATION ONLY! No entries accepted after Friday, September 2, 2011 or 200 riders, whichever comes first. NO MAILED IN PRE-REGISTRATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED!! NO POST-ENTRIES!!

REQUIREMENTS TO RIDE: Your bike must be fully street-licensed, with a hard tag or a documented temporary tag. You must show current and matching registration for your bike, as well as a valid drivers license and current AMA membership card. Your bike must be equipped with a USFS-approved spark arrestor and pass the AMA sound test.

The National Forest Service monitors our behavior closely! Irresponsible riders need not apply. Please save your enduro riding skills for an enduro!

THE RIDE: Approximately 500 km (300 miles) total over both days of scenic back roads, dirt roads and trails.

THE LOCATION: Natural Chimneys Park, Mt. Solon VA, 12 miles southwest of Harrisonburg, VA off Interstate 81. GPS: 38.4371, 79.0119

DIFFICULTY: Relaxed and fun for all riders with some trail riding and road experience. Optional 'hero' sections for the more experienced and adventurous riders. This is not a race!

ACCOMMODATIONS: Camping will be available (with running water bathrooms and hot showers) for Friday and Saturday night at Natural Chimneys Park Campground. Please call 540-350-2510 to make your camping reservations ASAP. Electric hook-ups are available. If you are not interested in camping, there are numerous hotels also available around nearby Harrisonburg, VA.

Natural Chimneys Park Info - http://www.co.augusta.va.us/Index.aspx?page=616

Natural Chimneys Park Campground Info - http://www.co.augusta.va.us/Index.aspx?page=617

FOOD: Entry fee includes lunch for Saturday and Sunday. Hot breakfast available Sat. & Sun. Spaghetti dinner available Saturday night.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: Ultra Heavy Duty (UHD) inner tubes in both your front and rear tires are highly recommended to help minimize the chance of pinch flats.

QUESTIONS?: Feel free to email us directly with any questions you might have - dualsport@nvtr.org

15. slowinfastout

slowinfastout Halfway to nowhere in particular

Oddometer:
    Signed up with another inmate...but a question!

I spoke to someone just this morning who has run the Shenandoah 500 four times and he tells me we will absolutely tear up our 2011 KTM 990 Adventures, and that we need to buy real dirt bikes for the event. I ridden the Peter's Mill / Tasker's Gap trail many times on big Adventure class bikes and can't imagine it to be much more difficult than that on the "C" or "B" routes at the 500.

I understand the "A" routes or 'hero sections' are not really suitable, but neither my pal or I really want to beat up our new $ 14K bikes doing this ride. We don't mind getting them dirty of course, and are prepared for some drops, but we want to avoid flattened rims and damaged body work that would occur on stair-steps of shale rock, etc trying to hump 480 lb of motorcycle across.

So what say ye, those that have done it? Lend some advice so we can decide if we should plan to go or perhaps relinquish our spots to others? No money to go buy 'real' dirt bikes, although we know that's probably the best option.

TIA
  16. nvtr

nvtr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fellow Dual Sport Enthusiast:

Pre-registration for the 2011 AMA KTM Shenandoah 500 National 2-Day Dual Sport is almost full. Pre-registrations will ONLY be ACCEPTED via ONLINE.

PRE-REGISTER ONLINE at http://watr.us/

If you have not pre-registered yet and would like to join us, please don't delay. Again, we are ALMOST FULL!

The 17th annual AMA KTM Shenandoah 500 National 2-Day Dual Sport returns this upcoming October 1st & 2nd.

If you plan on camping with us at the Natural Chimneys Park Campground and have not yet made reservations, please call them at 540-350-2510 to make your reservations ASAP. Natural Chimneys Park Campground Info - http://www.co.augusta.va.us/Index.aspx?page=617

Washington Area Trail Riders
    http://watr.us/
  17. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    it depends on how you ride it and whether or not you do the options.
  18. BluWolf

BluWolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have not done this ride before as I am a noob to offroad riding all together. I plan on doing it on my F800 which is about as heavy as the 990. I haven't seen anything that scares me yet, but I also have no intention of screaming through the sections. If we want to put together a bigger bike pack, that may help manage pace and damage?
  19. Glowplug

Glowplug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did it last year on a G650Xchallenge (all the weight and half the power!), and had no trouble. I remember seeing at least one other big KTM. Lots of people 2-up. It seems very dooable, very big-bike friendly.
  20. nvtr

nvtr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ***Aug. 16th: IMPORTANT UPDATE*** - This event is sold out!

We will be filling the waitlist ("Add Me to the Waitlist" button on the event website - http://watr.us/) if we have any cancellations.