Montana AMPS Rugged Mount Fix?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by deserteagle56, Dec 9, 2012.

1. deserteagle56

deserteagle56 deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    The "Security Screw" on the new AMPS Rugged Mount I just received for my Montana is unable to engage the lock. From a quick search on the internet, apparently there was a whole batch of the mounts that were shipped with screws too short to do the job.
    But my beef is this - I don't want to be packing around a special, tiny little tool to use on the security screw every time I want to mount or dismount the Montana. It wouldn't take me very long to lose that tool! Has anyone taken one of these mounts apart? How difficult would it be to replace that tiny little screw with something I could tighten with my fingers?
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Here is the answer.
  3. deserteagle56

deserteagle56 deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    Many thanks! Just the information I needed!
  4. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Semi-related question:

I don't have any need or desire to torque down the tiny tamper-proof torx "security" screw when using my Montana in this mount. Is just letting the security screw flop around going to create any problem, even if minor?
  5. Bullwinkle58

Bullwinkle58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've heard of them (the gps) working its way out of the mount without the screw tightened. To answer your question though, if you click on the link that Emmbeedee posted, you will see that the screw can't come out unless the e-clip that holds it in comes off somehow.
  6. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    You bought a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Montana</st1:place></st1:State>?
  7. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    :wink:
  8. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    I maybe wrong but what is called a mount here seems very similar to the cradle for my Zumo 450. The only times I need to remove the Zumo from its cradle is when I connect it to my home computer. The security screw isn&#8217;t much of an issue.
    I just use a Ram mount for my Zumo and I have a short power cord on the cradle going to an accessory port on left-hand beak. On the road if I want to remove the unit from the bike it takes all of 30 seconds, cradle and all are gone.
    I know if I eventually buy a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Montana</st1:place></st1:State> I will want to mount it in a similar manner. It looks as if I can, can I?
  9. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    I called Garmin because I lost my security screw driver and wanted to buy a replacement. My AMPS mount screw is also hard to engage and lock down and I asked them if there was a recall on them or anything. They told me that they know nothing about any problems with the screws on the AMPS mounts and have no plans to recall/replace them. They also told me they don't sell the security driver separately, so they sent me out a new AMPS mount for free instead. Strange logic, but I'm not complaining since I've spent $1000 on Garmin GPS's in the last two months. I've been fiddling with the mount recently and found that if I push up on the Montana as I'm pushing down while turning the security screw, it locks all the time.
  10. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Hikertrash, WOW! The "tool" is nothing more than what is called a "tamper proof torx" bit. They are a commonly available tool. I just don't know what the size is for the Montana, but a trip to Sears or anyplace that has a good tool selection where you can test the fit should do. When I have a reason to go to Sears, I will see if I can find the size and post it.

Example: http://www.sears.com/xbrdepot-delux...-SPM6522777907?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6

[​IMG]

Mudcat: You could do that. But, the way the power cord kind of snaps into the AMPS Rugged Mount, it might be a little fiddly to deal with every time. I haven't tried it yet, but it might be easier to deal with loosening the security screw, you'll have to try and see what your preference is.

I don't keep my Montana or Zumo in the mount all the time because as long as it is in there, it is charging the battery, and I don't want that constant(?) drain on the bike's battery.
  11. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    It's a T10 security screw size.

And rather than buy a whole screwdriver, just buy a bit in that size. One of my "precision" tool kits had the size so I just put that into my tank bag, in case I ever lost the Garmin tool.

Here's a set on Amazon.

[​IMG]
  12. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
  13. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    How can it be charging the battery when there is no external electrical power? :eek1 There is only power to the mount when I turn on the ignition switch.
    My Zumo rarely is removed from its cradle, only when I need to connect it to my home computer.
    The power cord stays connected to the Mount, (cradle), all the time. When I remove the unit from my bike, I unplug the short power cord from the accessory port on my beak. Power cord, cradle, and Zumo are removed as one package and placed into a saddlebag or my room for the night.
  14. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Oh, ok, I see. I failed to realize that the power outlet you use was switched. Apologies. So yes, in that case there would be no draining. :thumb
  15. jprovence

jprovence Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since other threads have pointed towards M3 being the size that the torx screw it, I went to looking through my computer parts bin.

The screw used to secure CD-ROM and Floppy drives is the exact size needed. An M3x5mm

Pull the rugged mount apart, put in the new longer screw. I didn't bother putting the clip back on the screw. Its about 1mm longer then the garmin screw and will secure the Montana easily using a philips screw driver. I didn't like to cleanness of the other methods.
  16. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    Resurrecting this one......they are still supplying the mount with this problem, screw is way too short, the link above was a god send today.
  17. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    We have four Rugged Mounts here and they are all still working properly. Once in a while my wife complains that she can't get the screw to fasten but if I just push the movable part in, and jiggle the gps a little to make the teeth on the mount go right into the slots on the gps, it always works. Maybe that was your problem?

I'd be surprised if Garmin was putting shorter screws in now, unless you got one of the defective stock.
  18. JD

JD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought an AMPS mount direct from Garmin about 6 months or so ago, and the security screw wouldn't engage.

They replaced it with another one, but I have since fitted one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Thumb-Screw-M3x10mm-M3-For-DIY-Computer-PC-case-Bl-/260684608371

When that link eventually dies the description was "50 Thumb Screw M3x10mm M3 For DIY Computer PC case Bl".

I just mounted it in a drill and used a file to grind down most of the threaded section, leaving a few mm of thread on the end and fitted the little spring and circlip from the standard screw.

And now I have 49 spares :D
  19. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    Trust me, I tried for about 20 minutes, different ways to get that thing to engage.

Garmin is sending me a new mount, I have to say, even though they may be slow to fix something in production, their customer service is pretty stinking good.