Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a good eye, you're quite correct. On right handers I'll get my lower body off low and off on the inside but I like to keep my helmet relatively centered over the tank. The reason is that here in the heavily forested Northeast, the best twisties will have foliage growing right up to the edge of road which leaves right handers pretty blind. So positioning my head just a few inches/feet further left, than a full body hang-off, gives me a few degrees more viewing angle around the corner. Here's an example of the visibility difference between winter and summer, any why the former is my favorite time to ride (same exact section of road).

Anyways, due to visibility, and several other unique risk factors associated with right handers, I take it significantly easier on right handers :deal.
  2. aarlint

aarlint noob rider

Oddometer:
    My wife and I decided to head to argentina on motorcycles so we picked up a couple of adventure bikes. My bike of choice was the 2012 tiger 800xc which I bought in january of 2012 in cash.

I love this bike! It was fast and smooth on the road and great for playing in the utah mountains as well. After a 6 hour drive or so down to moab utah, my wife and I stopped to take a break and wait for some friends. We turned the bikes off and I left my key in the ignition. When i went to turn on the bike all I saw was a red alarm light in the lower corner of the panel. There was absolutely no sound or other activity. No pump prep, nothing. We fiddled with everything; kickstand, killswitch, battery, ignition button, key positions, gas tank (couldnt hurt). We tried everything, eventually, after about 45 mins the bike roared to life and we were on our way. I gave triumph a call right then and there and said... wtf... what happened. They couldnt explain it and said that since there wasnt a showing problem I should wait to bring it in. The rest of the trip was awesome... tearing up the moab hills on a tigger was awesome!

Unfortunately this wasnt the end of the issue. Shortly after the trip the bike did the same thing in front of bestbuy in my home town. Luckily my wife was able to pick me up and take me to work and I picked up the bike after work. It started! So I looked up on the internerd to see what the deal was and if anyone else had experienced this. There are a few different cases of it but all were resolved by replacing the immobilizer.

I took my bike down to the dealership in salt lake city and they started to diagnose the problem. They got the exact same result as me and decided that the immobilizer should be replaced. Here is where the story goes from bad to worse. The immobilizer took 3 weeks to get here from the UK and it didnt work!

They then decided that it was necessary to replace the computer. So they did that. No change. I was still out a great bike for the beginning of good riding weather. The service headquarters decided that it could be the wire harness and they should check that out. So the dealer went through the wiring harness with a comb and didnt find anything. Still NO JOY.

At this point in the story the bike has been in the shop over a month and the main service headquarters decides that the immobilizer that was a replacement must have been a dud on arrival. They send a new one. This time direct! It still takes 2 weeks and FAILS to fix the problem. The bike is now giving another error on top of the other one and is failing ot sync with the keys.

The bike has now been in the shop since may and has had the following parts repaired or replaced:

Immobilizer
    wiring harness
    computer
    Immobilizer (again)

The tiger is still not fixed and the main service headquarters in the states are frankly handling the situation very poorly. The law in Utah states that if a bike has had 6 or more repairs OR has been out of your possession due to repairs for a business day month, then the bike is a lemon and needs to be replaced or bought back. My situation clearly fits the description (using the 30 business day rule) and triumph will not give me a new bike..

I am now talking to the state about starting a law suit and I have warned triumph that I am beginning the process.

I would like to know what the community thinks about this kind of outrage. I would also like the owners and future owners of the tiger 800 xc to know what they potentially could find at their door. If anyone has experience with lemon law cases or maybe what I should do in this situation... please help!... you are my only hope! :ear
  3. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    It's never fun to be the one who gets the lemon.

I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties; at this point is seems like invocation of the lemon law is indeed the way to go.

Have you contacted your state's Attorney General? I'd start right there. Give them a call and ask if they have an information on how to proceed.
  4. aarlint

aarlint noob rider

Oddometer:
    I have talked to the state and they said that it could take up to a year and that I defiantly qualify. Its such a pain that triumph needs a lawsuit and a pissed off customer before they will do what needs to be done.
  5. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    Make sure they know you are serious. Take notes on every conversation and start the process. Most companies look out for their own best interests, but stupidity can get in the way. Eventually they should realize their own best interest is to get you a new bike, particularly if you are so clearly covered by the lemon law.

Sorry you got the lemon, but as you know, the lemonaide is pretty sweet when they get it right. Please let us know how it turns out.
  6. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    Have you called Triumph? You need to deal with them, not a dealer.
  7. aarlint

aarlint noob rider

Oddometer:
    I have been in contact with both. The dealer is on my side and is prodding triumph to take the issue seriously and get me a replacement or get the right part.
  8. basepc

basepc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, my cstand has none of the rubber bumpers, and the dealer did the one recall on the stand last summer and put on a heavier spring. The cstand leg bottoms hit the underside of the swingarm where I now have some serious gouges from the centerstand legs hitting it.
  9. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear this, as mine is my daily driver your issue would be crippling for me. I've read a few of your posts & responses, and I'm just wondering. Seeing as how you do a bunch of dirt, could it be the stepper motor? I've read that if it gets loaded up with a bunch of dirt (we sure have some fine grained stuff, so...), it will do what you're describing. The solution always seems to be to clean it up, then lube it up good. Also a pre-filter seems to help.

2 cents worth for you.
  10. Vzuke

Vzuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hang on let me go down and check my swing arm............

Nope no dings in the swing arm. I have about an inch clearance
    between the feet of the center stand and the swing arm.

So far so good. Of course I don't do any off road work either.
  11. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know mine is due a replacement centre stand, but to be honest mine is fine. It doesn't come near the swinging arm and works perfectly. I added an extra rubber section to the bump stop. Am also due the clutch return spring. They can do that but they can leave the centre stand alone.
  12. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not wild on the new center stand design. With bumper stops mounted on each leg, it basically rides on the swingarm all of the time and uses the rubber bump stops as a cushion. Even though everything else looks the same on the cs it seems harder to deploy then the older design and harder take off. I don't know if its my imagination or reality, but either way I don't like the design. :puke1
  13. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Installed new center stand a couple days ago. It took around 90 min. to install. Not difficult just a little rigamarole. I wouldn't think there was anything wrong with the design unless I was told there was:lol3:lol3:lol3
  14. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if there a way through tuneECU or other means besides dealer tool or having the dealership do it to clear the service interval indicator?
  15. basepc

basepc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go to posting #6536 here, Birdy68 describes how to do the service indicator reset with freeware Torque and an android cell phone with a bluetooth dongle (whatever that is).
  16. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    I believe Dealertool or dealer are your only options. Dealertool is pretty cool.
  17. hecpilot

hecpilot Dreaming of my trip...

Oddometer:
    Just out of curiosity, do you have both keys on the same keyring?
  18. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    No only a dealer or using "dealertool" I prefer dealertool for servicing as I like the layout better. Use tuneecu for mapping only.
  19. elan

elan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's the link to 6536: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16169050&postcount=6536

And he says:

Despite what the above reads, I was also under the impression you need dealertool to clear the service indicator. I'm almost up to 5k miles though, and I have all the above mentioned, so I'll give it a go when the time comes.

BTW, I don't think you need to start the bike as mentioned in #5 to see codes. You can just turn the ignition on. Of course if you want to see parameters of certain sensors, you'll have to start it. If you don't start it, pull the headlight fuses to keep the battery from draining (this is more important for tuneecu).
  20. xylent

xylent n00b

Oddometer:
    So my new tiger has shed 3 of 4 indicators in under a week. Seems like the heat has made them super soft and high speed wind or light pressure makes the rubber crack and tear. My front signals are being held on with gorilla tape right now, and right rear is duct taped to the side of the bike. Anyone else having problems with this? Bike has not been down. Its almost as if I have a turn signal gremlin chewing on them at night!

Other than that. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!