Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. RodT

RodT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just bought the Explorer bars for My XC, the sweep is perfect, but the bars are not a direct swap. the bars are a little wider and the position holes for the controls are not in the same place as the XC. you either have to drill differant holes for the electrical controls or grind off the locating tabs. also the left hand side you have a gap of about 1/4 inch differance, between the handguard and the tapered spacer. So you either have to drill out the handguard spacer or drill more holes for the hand grip to screw to.
  2. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Have plenty of experience with them - my Photoshopped R1100GS was in their catalog. My feelings are that that they are struggling financially but hopefully they will get there
  3. invicta1

invicta1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They state they've had a lot of interest for the tiger. I take that to mean preregistrations for the spring release. i just signed up, eagerly waiting what they will provide.

I emialed Spencer in FL, he did a phenomenal job on my Bonnie seat for relatively cheap, As of my email a few weeks ago he had not even seen a 800. I think he was planning on changing that in October, see if he could make an improvement. I'd be happy to let him have a go at my seat this winter.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    They definitely need to get a direction of some sort. When I was into the Daytona 675 scene, we had gotten something like 13 deposits together to do a Sargent deal, but, Sargent backed out. There's a market for new applications. Doing nothing, despite interest, is a sure way of going under. Either lead or get out of the way.
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if there was ever a TSB for the gear position sensor? I seem to recall reading about it but I am not 100% sure. I know there was a TSB for the shifter return spring (I had that done). My gear position indicator is starting to act up. Mostly it will show 6th sometimes while I am in 5th gear. Usually only briefly then it goes back to 5th but sometimes it will stay in 6th. Does anyone know how the sensor works?
    Thanks
  6. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    I don't recall anything like that. Surest way is to pick up the phone and call a dealer. Any dealer.
  7. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    You should get your dealer to go ahead & order you a new gear position sensor. They are on the third part # for that sensor. It will eventually throw a check engine light. You can take it off & clean it, but that's just a temporary fix. It's just above the front sprocket & slightly rearward. Mine took 6 weeks to arrive in the US.
  8. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I find the people on this forum to be more useful than my dealer..
  9. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Good to know. I'll at least have a look at it to see if anything looks out of the ordinary, maybe clean it once and see how that works so I can at least have that data point when I talk to my dealer.
  10. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a 4 day dual sport ride. It was dusty and I knew I'd need to change my air filter, but WOW! What a procedure. My wife and I were supposed to have a quick turn around, just swap my BattleWings back on for a 3 week street tour but had to change our plans. Good thing cause I sure wouldn't want to be changing an air filter in a motel parking lot. Here's my filter after 7000kms of 99% street riding and 4 days of a dual sport ride through the mountains.

[​IMG]

I can't believe what's involved to get to the air filter. I ordered a UNI pre-filter from Australia, it can't get here soon enough. I honestly think the Tiger will pretty much be relegated to street duty from here on out. Disappointed and a little sad. The Tiger could be my only bike but there's no way in hell I want to be trying to keep clean filters in it on dual sport rides. Plus the parts availability or more accurately the lack of parts. I bought this new filter because I knew I needed it, and wanted to have a spare on hand but the dealer only had ONE filter for the Tiger.

I will never bitch about cleaning and oiling our DR filters again and the DR just got bumped back up to primary back roads explorer. Triumph got so many things right with the Tiger but for an "Adventure" bike this filter thing sure lets it down.
    :cry
  11. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    It's not a DR. They actually did improve the air filter access. Have you ever read about the air filter on a Steamer?
  12. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can only assume you mostly did it with dual sport bikes. Coming from combination of street bikes and thumpers I see no problem at all in this filter change procedure even on roadside. Specially since it really keeps intake clean really well.
  13. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    +1

NOT using it as an adventure type bike due to the air filter seems a little short-sighted to me. No bike is perfect, least of all the Tiger but I'll take it over anything else.
  14. turboICE

turboICE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Christ, because it isn't for you doesn't mean it isn't for others. Some of us do think it is a big issue.

The difference in down time on the trail between a flat rear with and without a tube is signficant. Most of us are out to ride, not struggle with a PITA tube. And until they came out with an announcement of actual tubeless wired wheel on a Triumph it isn't any shit that has been gone over before, because the shit didn't exist to go over until it was announced.

And when it is your bike that is totaled due to what would otherwise be a mild low side slide the issue of the pillion peg design will become a pretty big issue.

Your opinion of an issue being big or not is not the sole determinant of whether or not it is.

15. Rabbot

Rabbot Life goals-Die with memories not dreams.

Oddometer:
    AAARrrrrgggghhhh Broken throttle cable, pull side. :baldy Out of stock till who knows when.:baldy:baldy:baldy
  16. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    If you've ever changed an air filter in a Gold Wing you wouldn't think the Tiger was that big of a deal. :lol3
  17. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    Which end broke?
  18. Rabbot

Rabbot Life goals-Die with memories not dreams.

Oddometer:
    Pull cable about 6 inches from the grip
  19. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are repair/DYI kits for cables. May be you can use it and you do not have to wait for replacement. I must admit I once rode my bike with cable, made using such kittill the day I sold that bike. Since that I always carry it with me (the kit)
  20. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    This subject has been beaten to death many many times. That was my point. Live with it or do something about it (as some have) but please, stop going on about it.

I've never had a puncture in all my time riding dirt (small and big dirt bikes) and when I do, I'll deal with and not bitch and moan and as for the frame, I have fully comp so if they total it, I could give a shit.

As I say, these 2 subjects have been gone over so many times - it is what it is so live with it or buy something else.