Bringing a bike from Europe for a tour of US

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Whele, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Whele

Whele Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been looking into bringing my KTM to USA for an extended holiday maybe from East Coast across to Cali and possibly down into Mexico or beyond. Currently return shipping of my bike from Europe (Southern Germany) comes out at about $1700 with all the customs charges and transport to a sea port. Bringing over by air is about $2200 and requires a bit more preparation (smaller crate)

Hiring a KTM990 is not so easy, especially as I want to drop the bike off on the opposite side of the US at the end of the vacation.

So I started to think that maybe It would be better to buy a used bike on the East coast and sell it somewhere on the West coast at the end of the trip. However, I guess I am likely to have issues trying to register it, as I don't have a US address.

Has anyone experience of this?

Other thoughts are to try arranging an exchange or bike swap, maybe someone with a KTM 990 wants to come to Europe for 5 or 6 weeks in spring or summer 2014 and would be willing to exchange bikes. Anyone tried this? The sole cost is likely to be insurance and fuel, or am I missing something?
  2. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    Registering a bike in places like NM, AZ and NV is easy - just ask in ADV regional forums for an Address.

I recently registered my 990 in the AZ - very simple process.
  3. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Getting insurance is another issue. The best place to ask is over at Horizons Unlimited. Loads of people have done what the OP is asking for and it's not specific to the KTM. I think it makes the most sense, financially, but you have to know what the hoops are are how to jump through them. Good luck!
  4. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at Motorcycle Express for your shipping.
    No crate needed.
    They ship from many Euro countries into several Canadian
    cities.
    You could ship into Montreal and back to Germany from Vancouver.

I've used them twice with good results.

Max