Quadrotors and Multirotors

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by biggziff, Feb 8, 2013.

1. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
  2. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    Looking for someone with RC experience to build a cable cam for my gopro.

PM me if interested.

I do not have time or experience with RC, and I can't find one that can be purchased, so I would like to hire someone to build it.

Requirements:
    • Decent quality parts should be used, not parts from a $20 walmart RC car
    • Should have speed control (throttle controlled motor drives unit on rope/cable) and panning capability (camera mount attached to controllable servo)
    • RC experience with proof (pictures/video of projects) a plus
    • Builder will provide a design plan and quoted budget and will be paid at an agreed upon schedule

Here are some ideas to get you going:
    http://goprouser.freeforums.org/my-gopro-cable-cam-radio-controlled-t3421.html
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tedbrock/aircam-gp
    http://www.cablecam.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6
    http://www.cablecam.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6756770/
    http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=142784
  3. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Pm'ed you. Sounds like it could be a fun project!
  4. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Ok, so now that I can control servos from my Blade 350 I need a fun project to make them useful.

Dropping water balloons? Putting an airsoft gun onboard? A grappling hook to make it a skycrane?

Hmmmm :lol3
  5. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    Spent the day yesterday finishing up the build. What I thought was going to take 20 minutes took 6 hours :eek1

I had my esc pluged into the kk2 board upside down and that took an hour troubleshooting. Next I had my servo plugs upside down and I spent a couple hours troubleshooting the transmitter thinking it was configured correctly. It was a day of learning! But it came out ok.

I'm still trying to figure out the correct settings in the kk2 mixer page. Anyone know how to measure a quad to get those numbers?

So here are a couple photos and a rather boring video. I want to thank you guys for helping me get the right parts ordered. I'd still be wondering the internet in search of answers. My poor neighbor is still struggling with his open forum control board. I haven't worked on a mount for the GoPro yet but I figured I should learn how to fly first before I worry too much about that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/82464787" width="500" height="280" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/82464787">quadcopter first flight</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user6073316">Dan Kleinsmith</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  6. biggziff

Oddometer:
    You're very fortunate that your didn't burn up the RX or worse. The devil is in the details.

You should dial in some expo to make it less "touchy". Start with 30-40% and go from there. I run my quads and tris now at full throws (lots of stick scaling and lots of throws) and just smooth it out with expo.

Keep practicing and it'll come quickly. They're pretty fun.
  7. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    "dial in some expo"

Can you be more specific. I'm not familiar with that term.

Thanks.
  8. biggziff

Oddometer:
    This should help. If not, let us know.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/skU51E5ilG0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  9. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, got it. Thanks that helps a lot. As a matter of fact I cruised past that screen in the menu figuring it was something I would eventually need to learn. Looks like tomorrow's goal is the day.
  10. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Expo is your friend. I run 70% or more on some of my more aerobatic planes. If you have 1.6++ flashed on that KK board you have something similar with the self leveling around center on the sticks now. It's magic.
  11. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    Ok I think I have it entered correctly and set up on one of the switches. Should be interesting and fun to try out tomorrow depending on the weather. I'll let you know how it goes. :clap
  12. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Most of us don't put it on a switch we leave it on all the time. I do have less expo on lower rates (dual rates), but it's on all the time.
  13. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    Well to be honest I put it on a switch in case I screwed it up. :lol3
  14. biggziff

Oddometer:
    That's a great reason!

You should be able to watch the control surfaces and see the expo in action on the ground. Just move the aileron stick slowly from center to full deflection and you'll see how the surface moves slowly at first and the quicker as you reach the end of the travel. Usually it's most effective in the first 30% of stick motion.

Have fun. Expo is usually an epiphany to those just starting to use it.
  15. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    Pretty windy with gusts but I had to see how those changes affected the controls. I started out with 40% across the board and realized I just didn't like the feel of lack of control, especially in the wind. Just didn't feel like I was getting the control I needed so I dialed the controls back to 20% and actually bumped the throttle up to 50%. This really helped my control with the throttle, not quite as up and down. One of the reasons I liked having them on the switch was going back and forth and noticing what the effects were. But this wind is just more frustrating than fun so after I slammed the quad into the side of the garage I called it a day. Instead of working on a couple goals I had in mind I was just constantly reacting to where the wind was taking the craft. So I straightened out some bent motor mounts and am calling it a day. Hood River is typically a pretty windy place so I'm going to have to get good in the wind or I'll never fly.
  16. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Wind can be a real pain, but learning to fly in the wind will make you a much better pilot. Our club flying field sits on 100 acres on one of the highest hilltops in the area and is crowned with not much for windbreaks. You either learn to fly in the wind or you don't learn!

Keep at it. Buying a little indoor quad like a MQX can really help also.
  17. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    Flying in the wind is fun. I love wind surfing with airplanes. I'll take a dead calm day over wind any time, but wind surfing is a good time.
    I was just on my back deck with UMX Sbach - winds about 10-13. Good times. Was able to elevator it down onto my deck. haha
  18. biggziff

Oddometer:
    {biggziff likes this} :evil
  19. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    Took the quad out to our local RC park where there was a lot more room to fly without running into anything....................except the ground.

Hit pretty hard and snapped a few arms off :D

I don't think I want to replace the arms because this frame just wasn't going to work very well for what I want in the long term.

Once it got up into the wind I just could overpower the wind it to make it back to where I launched. I cut power trying to get down out of the wind but I cut it back too much and it oriented itself in a way that by the time I realized what I had done it was to late. It was fun watching it hit the ground though:lol3

Maybe flying in the wind in self leveling mode doesn't work well. I just don't know, thought I was handling it pretty well but in a split second it was toast.

So, I'm looking for a new frame...................
  20. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    For indoor messing around, do you think that's the one to get?