Baja Designs -- Dual Sport kit NiCad battery, Recharge? Replace?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigtrailie, Jan 28, 2013.

1. bigtrailie

bigtrailie Pursuing happiness

Oddometer:
    My XR650R came with a B-D dual sport kit (high /low beams, turn signal lights and a small horn). I believe that the turn signals are driven by the pack of NiCad batteries. My signals refuse to light up or flash. Is there a way to tell if the battery pack is shot? Or is there an easy way to re-charge?
  2. Baja Designs

Baja Designs The Scientist of Lighting

Oddometer:
    Does your headlight remain on for a few seconds when the engine is off? The turn signals don't run straight off the battery.
    Also our tech support department is more then happy to walk you through a few tests to finding out what the issue is.
    Might be the flasher. I would recommend checking the battery with a volt meter.
    Thanks
    Mike
  3. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    You can buy a little charger for the battery pack. I bought one for mine about $10. If you can start the bike the pack should charge after a good ride. I don't remember getting any lights when the battery was low. My XR650R battery pack sat for 3 years no use charged up good and is being used and working for new owner.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=120001

Emgo 6/12v battery charger

[​IMG]

Just realized BAJA Designs answered you . They should know.
  4. vfxdog

vfxdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Santa Monica or London, depending on work.
    I have a Baja dualsport kit on an XR650R. The Nicads go flat pretty quickly if the bike isn't being used, but the bike will start fine anyway and you'll have functioning lights etc while the motor is running.
    I've hooked up an SAE Battery Tender lead, and give the Nicads a tickle every now and then with a very low rate charger.
    So far so good after 3 years.
  5. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude the Good Knievel

Oddometer:
    I've found that with a used up battery pack you'll get dim headlights and the turn signals and horn won't work below about 3000 rpm. Above 3000 everything will work fine. Below 3000 and you get dim headlights (and tail light) only. YMMV