Subaru Crosstrek

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HowlingMad, Feb 2, 2013.

1. mr openroad

mr openroad Target Fixated

Oddometer:
    that was my thinking :dunno
  2. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    I think that might be your right foot :lol3

CVT's get better MPG than even manual transmissions.
  3. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    The June issue of Car & Driver magazine compares a CVT-equipped Forester with a Rav4 and CX-5.
    The Forester was doomed from the get-go, due almost solely to its CVT -- "a deal-breaker" says the author. Suspect the Crosstrek's CVT is the same.

Crashworthy, though. This one was pulled from a river after falling in due to an interstate bridge collapse.
    [​IMG]
  4. McCormack

McCormack Cronkite of CSM

Oddometer:
    You sure the owner didn't just drive off the bridge to get rid of the POS CVT?
  5. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    I drove both just to compare, but definitely wanted the 5spd manual so we could tow it four-down behind the RV. Setup for towing below.

I did not care for the CVT though, it maintains a given rpm based on your throttle setting, and accellerates the car. If you tramp it it's noisy. The trans is said to be noisy anyway. I would much rather have a MBZ 7-speed auto, they are ALWAYS in the right gear and it shifts all the time but you never know it. Truly a nicely done slushbox.

I was the test-dummy for BlueOx, fit their base plate for Impreza on my new 'trek as a test for them. Free goods of course!!

[​IMG]

Tows my bike trailer too...win-win!

[​IMG]
  6. mr openroad

Oddometer:
    seems to have survived pretty well considering the fall. funny I remember seeing the pictures and thinking that looks like a crosstrek now its confirmed.
  7. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those "cookie cutter" wheels are the tip off!
    I really like the concept of the vehicle and love Subies, I am just wondering if a turbo or a DIESEL is in store next year...
  8. McCormack

McCormack Cronkite of CSM

Oddometer:
    A turbo diesel, 6 speed manual and pleather would get my blood flowing!
  9. browneye

Oddometer:
    Europe and AUS get a diesel and a 6spd. WTF is the matter with them not bringing the good stuff to the US??

Leather is an option,nicely done, but comes with a roof and nav (POS) which adds a LOT to the price. Oh, and no
    stick option with the up-model either.
  10. mr openroad

Oddometer:
    I actually like the cookie cutter wheels :D if either one of those options become available it will be hard not to pull the trigger.
  11. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    I continue to ingest the Kool Aid. I pulled the trigger on this one a few weeks ago...

[​IMG]

I am very pleased with this car. It is everything I wanted it to be. It gets 28-30 mpg around town and I am eager to see how well it will do on an upcoming road trip. I have the automatic, and I have to laugh at the poster who claimed the car struggles to maintain 70 mph. This car has no problem cruising at speeds well north of that. It's comfortable, roomy, and smooth. A keeper..and another Subie success story.
  12. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    I could see that maybe going over Loveland or Vail Pass on I-70 or through the Sierras on I-80. I have yet to drive the XV and it's still high on my list of potential replacements for my WJ in the future.

I've driven some 4cyl cars in the Mountains and sometimes if loaded up they do struggle going over those passes. So I wouldn't call complete bullshit yet.
  13. browneye

Oddometer:

NICE!! A KTM Subaru. :lol3

:clap:clap
  14. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    Rebadging has to happen :deal
  15. neumie

neumie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They're the fastest.
  16. browneye

Oddometer:

That has been proven over and over again on the owners forum. :rofl
  17. Guano11

Oddometer:
    Good to know everyone's happy with their Crosstreks; it's a cool little car.

We drove two yesterday, one CVT and one stick (along with Buick Encore and Mazda3) and Guanowife really wanted to like them, but the road and engine noise was a deal-breaker. Salesman took us on his route which included a downhill "winding road so you can feel the great handling". I told him I also wanted to go back up the hill to see how the CVT performed (he didn't anticipate that) and it was very telling for us -- lotsa noise, at least more than the other cars we drove. Worth noting the 5spd was noticeably quieter, so a lot seems to be due to the CVT. Neat car otherwise; Guanowife even liked the interior and seats the best of everything we drove (and it'll be her daily driver). Salesman said if we really wanted quieter, we'd have to move up to the Legacy or Outback..... which starts the search criteria all over again.

Anyway, got me looking at used Outbacks (pre '10 style, thank you) and I've noticed a trend: Several of the 2.5L turbos ("The WRX motor!") have had their turbos replaced. Are they particularly problematic?

Also, what years and motors are susceptible to the head gasket problem, and when did they get fixed, if ever? For her driver, reliability and quietness far outweigh any HP advantages. Same for the 6cyl, assuming mileage is in the low 20's. But we do prefer a manual trans.
  18. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude, the Crosstrek, LOADED is $28k , with AWD. If you want a quiet AWD wagon, you need to bump up your spending limit about $10k for an Audi... The Crosstrek to me, seems to be a throw your wet dog in the back, camp gear and no worries. YouTube had a very cool vid on the Crosstrek vs a Land Rover Defender- it was pretty amazing... I would have no issues taking that noisy Subies down Saline Valley Rd to Death Valley.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7NPq4kv9k7E
  19. browneye

Oddometer:
    My 'trek lease was cap'd at $23K. Very happy indeed, of course it's a 5spd manual.

Drove the CVT on my first test drive because the dealer didn't have a stick. Drove the 5spd in a stanadard Imprezza just to see how the power and shifting was. It's a very sorted trans, much better than the stick I had in a new-style Scion XB. It's a much more solid car than the 'yota as well. After testing the drivetrains I then decided which Crosstrek I really wanted (desert khaki stick) and got online and found one up in Puente Hills. I did not care for the auto trans, have never liked CVT's. Although I didn't really notice it was real noisy, but yes more so than the manual trans.

You have to keep in mind this is an economy car - it's not loaded with sound deading material like a Audi or Benzo. Doesn't cost like one either. I had a GLK350 for almost three years, and although it was a very nice car to drive, it didn't ride much better than the subie, it wasn't that much quieter, but the worst thing was 18.5mpg on premium fuel over 22K miles. Geez. And a payment of almost $500. The 'trek saves me at least a couple of hundred a month, tows my bike trailer, and tows behind the motorhome. After four months I'm liking it even more, this one's a keeper. Even if it's gutless and noisy. :rofl
  20. Guano11

Oddometer:
    Man I hear ya! My wife's (growing) criteria are: Quiet, small, economical, reliable, good outward visibility, somewhat elevated ground clearance and "appropriately luxurious". (Actually, her initial criteria was "quiet"; the rest came up after test drives revealing "not enough of this or that....). I'm not sure such a car exists! Even the Lexus CT200h had a fair amount of road noise. And yes, I spend some time in the back of a Mercedes E-Class taxi a week ago and have to say that noise-wise, it was just like any other cab.

Wonder if a good stereo installation shop could Dynamat the crap out of a Crosstrek with good results.....