Missouri/Arkansas spring trip

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Divide Wee, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Divide Wee

Divide Wee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are headed to southwest Missouri/northwest Arkansas next spring around the Memorial Day holiday and are looking for an area to set up the motorhome and ride from as a base of operations. We would like to stay in a state park or out of the way campground for a couple of days and then can move to another location if needed for additional riding opportunities.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Some of the rides will be two up and some solo. If anyone from this area has any suggestions, I would appreciate any feedback you can give me.
    <o:p></o:p>
    I ride a Tiger 1050 and my brother in law has a Honda CBR600 and an Aprilia Tuono so we are talking asphalt twisties and good scenery.<o:p></o:p>
    Thanks,
    Mike<o:p></o:p>
  2. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suggest getting the Butler maps for the Ozarks, I am very impressed with it and used it for my "planning" when I went there in October. When I got back to work, a friend that had been following my Spotwalla page asked "Don't you know what a straight line is?"

Look around the Buffalo National river for campgrounds, I recall several in the area and that would put you close to the middle of the Ozarks. I didn't have good camping weather so I hoteled near Clarksville, AR and Siloam Springs, AR

Somewhere near Eureka Springs would be good if you like a more touristy area.
  3. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    Whatever you do stay away from the Hellhole that is Branson:eek1.
  4. rufusswan

rufusswan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is the Ozark Region and the Ozark Mountain Region. Two different things. You'll find it quite scenic here once you have driven down into the mountains. There are tons of places to camp between the Buffalo and on over to Ft. Smith, Ark.

Eureka Springs is kinda kitchy but it would make for a visit. It used to marketed as the Switzerland of the Ozarks.
  5. Divide Wee

Divide Wee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks,

I'll pick up the Butler map and check out the area around Buffalo.
  6. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I live in Mountain Home, Arkansas, and you really can't go wrong anywhere near the Buffalo River. There are literally hundreds of campsites and RV parks in the area. 50 miles on either side of the river and you're going to have great scenery and great roads. RV parks will vary, but most of them have at least electricity. Other modern facilities... varies by site.

My advice: stay away from Branson &#8212; the traffic is horrendous. Pick anywhere between Harrison and Eureka Springs, and south of those two cities. That area has some fantastic motorcycle roads. If you find yourself near Ponca (South of Harrison on Hwy 43), check out the elk herd.

In fact, highway 43 south of Harrison and then turning into 21 through the Ozark National Forest is a magnificent road. Highway 7 out of Harrison is another great road. Both take you through the Boston Mountains. Which aren't really mountains, but nonetheless offer some spectacular views and great riding. Highway 23 is, I believe, called the "Arkansas Dragon" for its twists and turns similar to the Tail of the Dragon.

Truthfully, there are literally 100s of good/great roads in Arkansas. Stay in the western half of the state and north of I-40 and you'll have an enjoyable trip.

As others have said, Eureka Springs is sort of touristy during the summer months, but it's a laid-back town that is very friendly toward bikers. There are even biker-only hotels. I'm sure there are numerous campsites and RV parks in that area.
  7. Divide Wee

Divide Wee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mr Gone,

Thanks,
    This should give me a few good nights of planning and anticipation over the winter.
  8. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    You're welcome.

You do what I do during the winter... dream of my next trip and plan.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info. Glad to help. I've already remembered at least two more GREAT roads you should ride if you're in the area: Hwy 14 south of Yellville, AR, and then Push Mountain Road, south of Mountain Home, AR (I think it's 341).

Push Mountain Road is a truly world-class motorcycle road. Not to be missed if you have the time. About 25 miles in length, with hundreds of big sweepers and a lot of tight twisties.
  9. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:

Now you've given me another to check out next time I visit Mom (she lives in Ida)

Push Mt Rd was a fun ride, but coming from East TN, I didn't think its as tight and twisty as it's rep. with it being more open I can see where it's easy to get your speed up and over cook a curve.

123 North of Clarksville is awesome.

Hwy 9 from Melborne to Mt View was lots of fun.
    [​IMG]

I think 23 from Clarksville to Eureka Springs is called the Pig trail
    [​IMG]

And you can get here by pavement
    [​IMG]

Divide......one thing to think about when "planning", watch your milage, it's easy to go much more distance between gas stations than you would think. there was a couple times I wondered where I would find gas. You probably won't need to carry extra, but be aware.
  10. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    +1 on everything!!!

Push Mountain Road is definitely not as twisty as Tail of the Dragon. It's easy to ride at 60+ mph for most of it. There are only a very few curves where you truly have to slow down to 35 mph or so.

Highway 9 between Melbourne and Mtn View *might* be nearly as twisty as Tail of the Dragon. Maybe. Great road for twisties, but the pavement has degraded in quality in recent years (unless they paved it this summer, which is doubtful) and there are lot of places where red clay washes across the road — gotta watch that slick stuff. Nevertheless it is a very fun road.

You won't have any problem finding some good roads.
  11. Divide Wee

Divide Wee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, You guys are giving me a lot to chew on.

One nice thing about the Tiger is the 5 gallon tank which gives me close to 200 miles even when having fun. Art may have a little shorter range on the Tuono. :evil

Mike
  12. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    What? Are you referring to Our Boston Mountains?

[​IMG]

The entire pictured region is "The Ozarks". The Ozarks is comprised of four regions...
  13. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Too bad about the streetbike. If you didn't mind doing some gravel, this is a killer national park campground: Erbie, Arkansas

I'd be looking for RV parking in/around Jasper Arkansas. It's the epicenter of some of the best motorcycling you'll find. Everything in a 100 mile radius is killer! Plus, the town of Jasper has good gas stations and restaurants.

You also might consider Buffalo Point for RV camping. A little Eastward down the river from Jasper/Erbie/Steel Creek, but a very nice place!

You might also look around on this site: http://buffaloriveronline.com/index.html
  14. rufusswan

Oddometer:
    Yes, but let's look at it this way so that maybe we can find the 'better' portion to ride in. On the eastern edge we have the Miss. river, on the north we have the Mighty MO which drains the Great Plains, and on the west we roll into those plains. In the middle of the Salem Plateau is Taum Sauk Mtn. which is our highest point.

Somewhere on that map is a line and above that line all the rivers drain north into the Missouri River, south of that line they go into the White River Valley. The White River starts in Fayetteville and goes east along the MoArk state lines.

The farther south you go on that map the better the riding gets, until you hit the Arkansas river.
  15. Big Johnson

Big Johnson n00b

Oddometer:
    Check out HWY 125 running south out of Missouri in to Arkansas via Harper's Ferry.
  16. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    I'm not arguing that Arkansas is some good riding. It's my backyard.

However, there is some killer riding in Missouri. MO-19 through The Wild/Scenic Rivers area from Thayer to Hermann rocks. Nice riding just west of Hermann, in the counties along the Osage River. Etc, Etc...
  17. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    +1

Hwy 125 is a fun ride. Good road, not much traffic. Plus, the ferry ride across Bull Shoals Lake is interesting.
  18. rufusswan

Oddometer:
    H125 is one of the great roads. I live a few miles off it just north of Ark. The ferry down there is great fun to ride for lots of riders on day trips from Harrison. All the bikers stop at the beer/pizza place on the Missouri side.

By the way it's called Peel Ferry.
  19. Wdwrkr

Wdwrkr Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are already getting some great suggestions here many of which I would only double. I just came back in late October from 8 days in the area you won't be disappointed. A friend who used to lead dual sport tours in the area sent me a couple day trip tank bag maps which were outstanding routes. I'd be happy to make you copies of the paved routes. These were incredible rides though I will say they are all day rides. Don't know what you ride I ride a GSA , but my travel buddy was on a 990adv. We passed one gas staion and ended up siphoning from my tank to get him to mountain view. Just sayen if you see gas get gas. I'm sure there is plenty there I didn't see, but it sounds like you will be traveling like we were, and once you get away from the towns it can be a spell before you get to the next town with out leaving your route. Absolutely some of the best riding in the lower 48.

PM your address if you want those routes. I'm traveling for a week, but I'll get them out when I return
  20. Divide Wee

Divide Wee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More and more to chew on. It sounds like I almost can't go wrong in the area.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I'm chomping at the bit to get down there and will have plenty of time to decide where to base my stay. Keep the suggestions coming!
    <o:p></o:p>
    Unfortunately the snow is ready to fly up here this weekend and it looks like the Tiger is probably down for the winter. Once the ice builds up on the road up to the county road, its usually there until the spring.<o:p></o:p>