What bike did you take your test on....

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Displaced Mike, Nov 2, 2006.

1. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    XLNT. It's been about ten years since I ran my '67 CB77. Great bike.
  2. coloradomotorrad

coloradomotorrad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tried it this am on the pig,...failed!

Stupid cones. Looking for a small enduro to try it again! I knew better after the two harley guys in front of me blew it. :rofl
  3. MotoMarkus

MotoMarkus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took my test on a 703cc Suzuki DR650.
    We have two licenses, one is for max 25kw the other is for all bikes. I'm not sure if the regulation has changed, I took my license in 2003.
    Anyway, the bike for the unlimited test had to be of at least 700cc, so what would be better than a bored out DR :thumb
  4. PhilzLeads

PhilzLeads Goin' mobile

Oddometer:
    Cool thread, brings back memories. My MC test was in York, PA in 1977 on a 1972 Kawasaki 750 H2. For those that are not familiar with that bike, it was a three cylinder, two smoker, kick start only. After I put expansion chambers on it(flat black), I got pulled over so much by PA's finest that I eventually removed them. The bike ran like hell man. I tore the engine out one winter, carried it to the local Kawasaki shop, had them bore it out 1st over, then put the thing back together in my parents barn. The thing would wobble like the frame was made of rubber at speed around sweepers, but I loved the bike. Got rid of it for the rocket ship of the day - the KZ1000, four-into-one Kerker, electric start! And no more two-cycle oil.

Behind me in this shot is the headlight of my older brother's KZ900 that he uncrated new and put together while working at a Kawasaki dealer in CA. He then rode it home cross-country. Next to that bike is his buddies Harley. Them were the days...

[​IMG]
  5. Aerocycle

Aerocycle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lol. Yea its a pretty fun little bike! I definitely wouldn't mind owning one. I compare my current bike, Suzuki dr650, and I'd say the dr handles similarly, just has that extra power, but still relatively light. I love the dr650, but still, nothing IS the same as a TW. :-)

I actually took my class with team Oregon through pcc. We did all of the training off of 185th st near Hillsboro. Good times! I moved back down by Salem since then though.
  6. OhioGuy82

OhioGuy82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2008 Peace Sports 50cc. :rofl I felt as if I cheated. No clutch, light, easy through the cornering portion. Passed with flying colors. I still have that little scooter.
  7. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    1971, no extra test for a motorcycle license in NC. Had a 1968 CL350 Honda, a pig on the trails but at 16 who cared!.
    Sometime in the late 70's - early 80's NC added the motorcycle endorsement, if you could prove you'd been riding at least 5 years you were exempted - only had to take a written test.
    My first senior citizen discount.
  8. JoshBMW

JoshBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1991 on a red Honda Ascot FT500
  9. 105mmgunner

105mmgunner n00b

Oddometer:
    my first ride was an 83 750 shadow...

rode with a learners for near a year before I went it. had me do soem cones, u turn and ride around the parking lot using a coupel of hand signals before passing me.

quite the joke back then, my wife had to put a radio on (2007) and a car followed her monitoring her every move.

I really liked that 750, good times indeed
  10. vecchio Lupo

vecchio Lupo Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer:
    I had been riding bikes for about 10 years and never bothered to get an endorsement (It was Louisiana, what ya gonna do?) so I hopped on the only biken that was fully functional with working turn signals and everything. It was a 1973 Moto Guzzi 850 with a Jawa Sidecar bolted to it.

The DMV testor came out to observe the road test portion and proceeded to tell me to "Make a figure eight in the cones then a 180 degree U-turn before returning to this spot and stopping, if you put your feet down at anytime other than the final stop, you fail."

I asked her if she realised that I had a sidecar and my feet were not on the ground right now with the engine off and completely stopped, she replied "Thats whats on the test, thats the rules.":lol3:lol3:lol3
  11. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never took a test.... back when I got my MC endorsement AL only required a written test.
  12. Ballics

Ballics Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG]1983 kawasaki Gpz 305 belt drive
  13. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    LOL

1964 Honda CL77... in 1989!
  14. Beemersailor

Beemersailor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bultaco Alpina 250 - I think it was a 1977, but I don't remember exactly. Wish I still had it.
  15. Buffalo Bob

Buffalo Bob Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took my test on a early-70's Kawasaki 175 enduro-type bike (before they invented dual sport, I guess). It was in the late fall up in Hancock, MI, colder than heck, and the poor lady at the Sec. of State had to put her coat on and watch me do a couple laps out in the parking lot.

Piece of cake.....
  16. smokey3644

smokey3644 not so n00bish

Oddometer:
    I got my first bike in 62, at that time in Cal. all you needed was a learners permit.
  17. aint_life_grand

aint_life_grand Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took mine on a 82 Seca 550 when I was 17. I rode that bike from Portland, Me > Charleston, SC, with only my learners permit, to attend my mothers wedding. Left Charleston the Sunday morning after the wedding and got back to Portland monday afternoon feeling extremely confident to take my test the following day.
  18. bloodandmotoroil

bloodandmotoroil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    a 45 harley 125cc hummer when i was 16
  19. pmacb

pmacb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I failed my first road test on a borrowed R80ST in '83 or '84. I had that bike for a full day plus before the test and rather than practicing the slow speed stuff that I knew was going comprise the test I spent my time tearing around Grand Island, NY having a blast. Of course, when I was confronted with a U-turn or figure 8 in the test I blew it completely to the point of lugging the engine and nearly dropping the bike. :shog

Somehow I still ended up the owner of a FT500 Ascot after college :loco until it was time for diapers and playpens.

Fast forward 25 years and I was smart enough to finally take the MSF course locally and passed on their 200cc Chinese QLink "supermoto" which allowed me to upgrade my license without managing the logistics of a borrowed bike, a chase car and M-class driver just for the road test.

pmacb
  20. boomhwr

boomhwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had to take the class twice. First time took test on a Honda 250 street thing. Second time I took the experienced riders course, had to take to continue in motor school, was on a Road King that I picked up the day before the class started. not the easiest to but made it through. Only dumped it twice, but that was the easy three days of class.