Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fred, the rack is directly bolted to the frame. This mod was described in detail with a bunch of pics way back in this 1000 page thread. The standard OEM Triumph chrome rack was ditched in favor of a SW-Motech Alu rack from a KTM 950.

Here is my theory. The beauty of this set up is there is no 'windage' with bulky panniers slowing things up and sabotaging fuel consumption and tyre wear on the long rides. A typical outback loop in Australia can be up to 8500kms (Brisbane, Mt Isa, Alice, Broken Hill, Brisbane) so this is important. The bulk of the gear is were the pillion would normally sit whereas a lot of bikes mount their top box further back behind the pillion perch which is not so good for handling. The soft bag on top contains a lightweight sleeping bag so most of the weight is not set high. This set works great in all situations including the tight tracks.

The problem with pannier boxes is they can weigh up to 5-6 kg each and riders tend to put things in them which makes them even heavier. Hell, that's all well and good if you are only riding nice straight and smooth highways but what if you want to slither and slide your way down a wet and muddy bush track! Each to his own.
  2. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Joe883

Joe883 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hobie Mirage Outfitter is 12'8" Trailer is 15'2"

4. henryII

henryII Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mounted and tested this afternoon. I think they are outstanding compared to the stock on asphalt.
    Gravel testing have to wait for the snow to melt :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We rode out to a traditional gathering place on Tuesdays, but we where pretty much alone
    I guess it is a bit early.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. FoothillRyder

FoothillRyder Tiger Cub

Oddometer:
    :roflI'm trying to imagine what that green Metisse would look like parked next to my Scrambler. :D
  6. FoothillRyder

FoothillRyder Tiger Cub

Oddometer:
    So fix it! You can have any color you want (just not from the dealer). :1drink
  7. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    I can do that?:clap
  8. thistle66

thistle66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's no a trick. You just need to get a fine edge under there. Think I used a steak knife.
  9. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've used a box knife, and a thin paint scraper before.
  10. sark

sark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a decent rear tire they care to sell,cheap? I just need something to get me through the New York state inspection. Please PM me if you have. Thanks for reading.
  11. Fredicchino

Fredicchino Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks Goodcat, Roadscum & Grizz for the answer.
    I'm seriously considering to buy a Scrambler before the end of 2012, but the "luggage options" are important for me, as I want to do long trips with it.

The pics above by Henry beg a new question ! :D What's the model for this flyscreen ? Me want very much ! :deal
  12. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Isn't that the Beelzebub screen made by Serpent Enterprises? :scratch
  13. henryII

henryII Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That flyscreen is the oem number plate that I have fited togheter with my dartscreen brackets :1drink
  14. Fredicchino

Fredicchino Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I was sure of it, looked totally like the OEM number plate, thanks Henry !
    Would you care to show some pics of the mounting points of the number plate there ? Basically I'm looking for this flysreen solution with the dual gauges of the new Scramblers, it looks fantastic !
  15. henryII

henryII Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks:-) bracket mounted with help of the screw for the headlight. As you see I also have
    to clocks
    [​IMG]
  16. sark

sark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. Northern-Boy

Northern-Boy n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok so not a big "poster" but I have to tell ya, I had the perfect day off yesterday. Sunny, warm and most of the snow has gone. I have only put on about 150 miles on my 08 and I just love this bike. I think the best part of my ride was that my old friend came to town on his Super T and off we went, riding with him just confirmed that I bought the right bike. I was able to get in and out of tightspots with ease while he labored to do 27 point turn around :), it was awesome!
    We have some great back roads up here and some single track so if you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods lets go riding.
  18. Chowdown

Chowdown Texas Aussie

Oddometer:
    i picked up my bike last saturday and have been commuting on it this week. I filled it on monday morning and wanted to see how far i could go before the fuel light came on. I have read in this thread that running it for long after the fuel light comes on is a bad idea.

I'm still in the break-in period and got right to 100 miles before seeing the fuel light. When i filled it, it only took 2.68 gallons. With a 4.2 gallon tank i figure i should have been in the ballpark of having atleast another 1.5 gallons in the tank.

is that normal for the fuel light to come on so early? i should have been good for atleast another 40 miles but people have reported running out of gas pretty quick once the light comes on.
  19. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Always err on the safe side Chow. I figure conservatively and my fuel light almost always comes on at 123-126 miles. Guessing to have 1-1.5 gallons left I try not to ride out past 150 miles. I have gone to 160 a time or two.
    Keep track of you mpg each tank, how much you fill up each time and learn your bike.
    I figure my fuel requirements at 45 mpg.
    I do not trust a low fuel 'idiot' light. The trip meter rules!
    Your mileage should improve slightly when you get more miles on it.
    Then maybe carry an extra gallon and run it out to see where you stand (by the side of the road lol :rofl).
    I will 'short fill' on a long stretch when I know there may not be fuel handy on the 'far end'. IE filling at 50-100 miles into a long no fuel section.

Gettin' to be riding season! :evil
  20. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

Henry, wheels and bike look great. Just wondering if you considered using a 21" front and 18" rear? A few hundred posts back, Mcole mentioned such a setup.

BTW, does anyone have any idea how much longer the rear shocks have to be to maintain the current geometry with a 18/21 setup?