No guns in Canada, what a pity!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by JimmieA, Dec 6, 2012.

1. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    If he was straight up in the first place, he might have got the verbal experince instead of the physical experince. I think the ordeal was completly blown out.:huh
  3. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    It sounds like they were going to search him, since two different officials questioned him about it. He was probably carrying lots of camping gear, and looked like he might be carrying. I thought everyone knew that Canadian gun laws are more restrictive than the USA. Pretty careless on his part.

He mentioned that they will keep a visitor's gun at the border until they return. I wonder if each border crossing has a locked safe where they store visitor's guns until they return. That sounds pretty nice of them actually, considering you are rolling up on the border with something that is illegal in Canada. I don't think we do that for Mexican citizens, and guns are legal here.
  4. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    No sympathy for this guy. First he was to ignorant to know the laws of a country he travelled into, second he lied about it...duh.

I live in a border town and this happens all the time, if you say "yes I have a firearm" they will just give you the speach and turn you around, no problem...lie about it..problem. They give the poor student thing, hes 26 years old not some kid, get a clue.
  5. IKIGAI

IKIGAI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This story came up months ago in an American rag when the family was boosting for legal $$ donations.

The story at that time, had a link to the dummy's facebook page where he describes the planned trip, and how he was debating with the other rider (his brother) about taking their firearms along and how they should pack them aboard the bikes.
    One rider declined to bring his along, the other one didn't -- that means he intentionally decided to sneak (smuggle) it in.

It's not like these idiots are from some backwater like Florida, and are on their way to 'make a new life in Alaska' -- they both reside close enough to Canada to know the score.

No fucking sympathy for this retard. He shoulda done significant time AND had both the firearm and bike seized.

This summer we had a female border guard shot in the neck here in BC, by some wacked out fucker from Seattle who then shot himself in the head, right at the border booth.

I wouldn't blame the actions of any of these agents now, if they stopped each & every American, stipped 'em naked, and rammed an endoscope up their ass. Especially if retards like Kraig continue to show up and plead ignorance -- there are signs, right beside the road leading up to each and every CDN portal, that state what isn't admissable into Canada and what needs to be declared.

Nobody in this country will have the sniffles over Mr. Jacobson's ruined vacation.

When in doubt,.... declare, declare, declare.
    The worst thing that can happen is you'll be turned away, or required to pay an import duty.
  6. aquadog

aquadog Dude Buddha

Oddometer:
    No sympathy at all. You make a deliberate decision like that, there can be a penalty, and this was fairly light. I agree that a Canadian might have been hit harder by the law - and I say this as someone who has a variety of guns, including pistols, but our regulations are common sense, not hard to follow, and quite reasonable. Of course, we have a much less violent society. Maybe if I lived in some places down south, I'd feel a need to carry as well. Or not.

We also have a greater faith in democratic process. One seemingly knowledgeable American I talked to explained it as a fear of their own government, and the idea that a personal firearm would somehow keep them free...

If you want to get into a goofy, unreasoning argument, talk guns with many Alaskans. It's a really, really different culture, just across a line on the map. Funny note, we have a fellow in Whitehorse who has started winning some big pistol matches in Alaska, and they don't like it at all, to be beaten at what they see as their own game. Reportedly, if he wins, there is no applause, just silence.
  7. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    So what we have here is another American citizen who tried to smuggle a gun into Canada and got caught.

Sounds like he got off pretty easy. Even if he wasn't lying about being ignorant of Canada's gun laws, he still broke the law.

I have been around the world on a motorcycle and never needed a gun for protection. Lots of times I was in tight spots but always found a way out of it. Pretending the gun was for protection from animals is not the truth. Speak to an American about why he carries a gun to the mall.

With his banning from coming into Canada anymore, I guess that is the best part of this story.
  8. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty much a total idiot. Being unaware of things is not a defence. Being unaware of different laws, customs, procedures in areas where you'd like to go probably concludes to me that you should travel no further than the outer limits of your town.
  9. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    I'd cut him some slack. We were all young once and did stupid things. I, for one, think we should have conceal carry permits here in Canada.....but that's just my opinion.

Looks like he did the time for his mistake and paid the price.....lesson learned.
  10. frazman

frazman Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer:
    fun interpretation of this article happening now in the Basement.
  11. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Glock owner

Glock owner Bad Example

Oddometer:
  13. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    What an idiot! There's no way that he didn't know that bringing a gun into Canada was illegal... I mean, how do you embark on this journey and not even think to check into the legality of bringing a gun across an international border? I have a hard time believing that he never once thought to check to see if bringing a pistol into Canada was legal. Even if he was stupid enough not to check the laws, there are a bunch of signs leading up to any border crossing telling you to declare the guns. On top of all that, he lied to the border guard. He's damn lucky that he's not still in jail.

I'm a big gun rights proponent, and generally carry wherever I'm legally allowed to... But I leave my guns at home if I'm traveling somewhere where I can't legally bring them. Sure I wish I could carry when I travel to Canada (or New York for that matter), but it's your country and your laws. If it bothered me that much, I'd just stay in the US.
  14. Glock owner

Glock owner Bad Example

Oddometer:
    The gang members in Canada get off the regular Joe's get reamed. My issue is this, the guys in the story below should have never been allowed to be Canadians. I truly doubt they could find Canada on a globe. They are gangsters and some Ass Hat judge lets them off for a reason that would have never been extended for me or any other white guy.

http://www.toronto-criminal-lawyers.ca/images/imgs/Gun Charges Dismissed.pdf
  15. csisfun

csisfun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glock owner, I think your argument is quite a stretch. The details of the two cases are there and there's no reason how race played into this.

OP's case was that a person brought a gun in, and being in a sensitive area - a border - lied about the gun he carried. This can be used against him.

Your example is a case where the cop brought searched someone using a reason that is not constitutional. The search was based on a 'hunch' which was not a admissable reason to conduct a search. And as a result, whatever findings of that search was invalid, even though it might be the most illegal of things.
  16. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about the Native Canadians, in Caladona for example, running around with automatic weapons for months and the OPP looking the other way, arresting normal people for having a Canadian flag!
  17. Tengai In Toronto

Tengai In Toronto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glock Owner,

Your first problem is that the article is from the Toronto Sun. I wouldn't even wipe my ass with that biased shit pile. I've never read a paper with more of a political agenda, and less attention to facts, than the aforementioned publication. Let's just say it's never going to win any awards for journalistic integrity.

It's a known fact that the courts are currently trying to bring credibility and accountability to the arrest-making process. By making an example of these guys, the importance of acting in accordance with the constitution is emphasized.

And please, don't bring race into this.

Safe riding!
  18. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    The only newspaper that isn't left leaning, weenie liberal.
  19. Tengai In Toronto

Tengai In Toronto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh please, you only like the sun for the sunshine girl. On a side note, i hear the photographer "gets to know" most of the sunshine girls on a more carnal level than their profile (likes rollerskating, long walks on the beach) reveals. Thats one job i'd accept at that paper.... :D
  20. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that pretty much fits in with your nickname :rolleyes