Noob to Trials. Which should I look for in a first bike?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by More CowBell, Dec 11, 2011.

1. More CowBell

More CowBell gotahave moreCowbell

Oddometer:
    getting some time on it this weekend
    [​IMG]
  2. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to be looking at either a 315R Montesa, or a Yamaha engined Scorpa. Other make bikes of that age will very likely be in poor condition, and are also nowhere near as reliable as those I have mentioned.
  3. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    <MONTY Grail Holy the voice: python>{monty python: Holy grail movie line, VOICE on} "He's already got one!" {/end voice} See his pictures above your post?

LOL<END voice>
  4. val4215

val4215 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where do you find these bikes.
    I ve look at E-bay and craigs list but nothin.

Thanks
  5. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Val, give us more specific 'where you at" info, some of us can send you links? Craigslist is a crap shoot, just like anything else that is seasonal (rv, bbq related, et al). Some months have some bikes, some months dont have much... Finding trials club websites near YOU, is another good source. Older but probably good list of clubs is found http://www.trialsclubs.us/

But, as for Craigslist, If you have firefox, I use a site that lets you scan more city lists at once from craigslist, it is called http://www.crazedlist.org now you can NOT use that site with anything but firefox I think, I know you cannot use Internet Explorere. BTW, Everytime I post that site, others chime in with 'easier" setup and use sites, that I always forget to make note of... Hopes are they will here too... but I like this one, as it is fast, has lots of options... Your Mileage May Vary.

I search for "trials" in colorado-kansas-oklahoma-missouri-nebraska-and some selected 'lists" in texas with this site. I also use same site for finding ANYTHING, in what I refer to as "driving distance" after looking at the lists and picking AKA I pick the where, then change search terms so easily... On my driving distance example: so like searching misouri, I uncheck eastern mo lists, like st louis & a couple others, as it is less than likely I would travel there, but again you do it how you want to with crazed list.
  6. val4215

val4215 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in SOCAL lookin for a first time trials bike. Been riding for many years on and off, thought that trials would help me sharpen my lack luster style.
  7. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Go edit your profile, put in a location, least maybe nearby city or area? get a tiny bit more specific, some say so-cal is LA south, I dont know? Im in Kansas, so when I say central ks, that narrows it down a lot.

Ok, if that isnt doable, I say GO to that website (clublist from my earlier post), I showed you and find the club near you, http://www.socaltrials.com seems to have a nice website, but I have no idea if that is next to you, or 400 miles away...

members usually hear about bikes forsale before anyone else, EDIT: since we're mostly friends, we hear people say things, like "I'm thinking if I could sell this bike, right quick I could have that new one...." etc...

as most are keeping eyes and ears open for themselves, friends, or even just this, a new person wants to join in on the fun, needs to find a bike...
  8. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    Trials has helped me take lack luster to a whole new level! :lol3
  9. Willie B

Willie B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My son and I have ridden trials for about 10 years. Prior to this I competed in GNCC for about 6 years at a very competitive level. No matter what you purchase, the first thing to think about would be the quality and durability of your choices. Secondly, given trials in the US, consider purchasing something that has parts availability. All of these bikes are built over seas and most don't have a credible parts and service network.
    I've been through gas gas, beta and scorpa but finally landed with the Sherco. The Sherco is an awesome bike, has always been on the cutting edge of development, has a huge following, promotes young up and coming riders and the US distributor attends all the national events with bikes, parts and service. I currently have 3 and sadly don't get to ride them as much as I would like. You can ride a trials bike in your yard for hours, riding up and down stairs, over the picnic table, on the pool furniture, etc.
    When purchasing a used bike, check the bearings and pivots because most trials bikes use needle bearings instead of tapers or ball bearings for obvious reasons. With the bikes low center of gravity, they are prone to ingest water which isn't great for main bearings and the like. They are easy to work on and rebuild, but I stress to make sure you source parts availability before purchasing something. I prefer the 2 strokes for their lightness, maneuverability, lack of radiating heat and simplistic serviceability. Find the local club and attend several events, but register and ride. It's the hardest thing you'll ever do on a bike, but the most rewarding and it will bring your riding skills forward light years. The trials community is filled with an abundance of wonderful people. I've made many new friends over the past years while riding trials, and you can't be an impostor on a trials bike. The proof is definitely in the pudding.
    Enjoy
  10. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The best engineered and most durable trials bikes are those made by Honda, and these are probably the best choice for a beginner especially if a used bike is being considered.
  11. Sting32

Oddometer:
    that statement is soooooo false... Sorry.
  12. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Must obviously be some more reliable and durable bikes around than the 315R and 4RT, which I cant have heard of?

Another option for a beginner is a Yam TY mono, which is bulletproof reliable, and as they are nowhere near as capable as modern bikes, will make learning the basics an awful lot easier for a new rider.
  13. IntrepidRunner

IntrepidRunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, Twin-shocker, how do I find out more about Honda trials bikes?
  14. Sting32

Oddometer:
    I didn't reply faster, didnt wanna come off grumpy... but, I should of said, that's your opinion.

I believe most the bikes out there had the shortcomings they might of had, fixed by now. Not all maybe... Gas gas for instance, had a damn good bike from 95 to 2004 called t x t but they are old school now. Kinda like those hondas... lol

All new riders are on a 2 edged sword... in hindsight I have come to believe that starting with the newest, best bike out there, is best,IF POSSIBLE... then they don't have to relearn everytime a move up to BETTER lighter bikes. Especially true of old twin shocks, they weigh a ton, with crappy brakes and hard to pull clutch.

But kinda like you I'd rather see em get on something, then learn some things but I don't know if it's better, just usually cheaper/easier.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    As much as I love old Honda trials bikes. I have to agree to disagree. Every single one that was ment for joe average was over engineered and not competitive except for the 315r which was a head of it`s time but took too long to get to production. By 2002 it was over for the others had caught up again and least we not forget they were gray marketed into the states. The 4rt would have been dominate, but the 4 stroke rule did not happen. It was heavy and tiresome to ride. Great bike, but the rules still favored the two strokes. (And Toni`s bike is not even close to stock for any comparison.)
    Any Sherco or Beta from 2002 on would be my suggestion to any new rider. I know where`s the gassers? Until they make a real kickstart gear it is not reliable. Or find a bike they can afford. Trials can be learned on almost anything, but to compete takes something at leat a little modern. (Not including Vintage).
    Enough of this, got to get back to building my nephews Yz125 for this weekend`s race. New crank kit, and big bore cylinder and head. Should make the kid grin.:D
  16. Sting32

Oddometer:
    lineaway,

there was a problem with kickers on the older txt's? I didnt know, Ive been with a few of them, all the big bores which should have issues quicker, IMHO?

the 1st kicker I had problem with is 04 pro, and since then I learned to kick it differently. not sure that that is the solution but havent had teh problem on my '10 or dad's '11 pro 300 raga prototypes. But maybe I dont have the hours etc on them yet.... I probably ought to tear down and check.

Lastly, and you know I am GASGAS all the way baybee... :thumb

I still snicker, I might have kicker problems once in a long time, but the newest honda-tessa's I got to ride, feels like my OLD 321 (old TXT), same with up to 2011 Sherco's.

I really want to try out an OSSA, BUT, I read some had unpredictable throttle response in 2011? have you heard anything?
  17. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    For a beginner who is more interested in learning the basics of riding, than hopping from rock to rock on the back wheel, a good condition 315R or 4RT (both effectively Honda's!) is going to be an awful lot better than anything else, with the possible exception of a Scorpa with TY motor.

I cant think of any bike thats on sale currently other than the 4RT, that doesnt have some sort of inbuilt problem areas, and some like Beta have been suffering with shoddy ignition systems which fail on a regular basis.

Quality wise the Ossa and JTG seem to be well ahead of the rest, but as a beginner is going to be able to ride an awful lot better after a year riding TS, rather than the latest bike, it would be very silly to consider either of these.
  18. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    No I was including all the pros. The old txt`s were almost bullet proof. Until Gas Gas totally changes the kick start design it will always be a thorn in it`s build quality. I think Dale has all you guys brain washed. I used to always ride Beta`s, but have been having fun on the PRO lately. We`ll see this weekend if I can get a good finish on this damn bike. It`s our first event this year and it looks like snowww!! :eek1
  19. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The older Gas Gas was a lot less fragile than those sold currently, which with hard use will need to be totally rebuilt after 6 months use. Never quite been able to figure why exactly anyone new to trials would be interested in a machine intended purely for top level competition, and needing pretty intensive maintenance to keep it in good working order?
  20. IntrepidRunner

IntrepidRunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great advice Twin-shocker, I'll start to look for a 315R or a 4RT. Are parts available?