riding in snow and ice

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by braindigitalis, Dec 7, 2012.

1. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Salt truck just made his rounds. Should I try again? Don't know if I want to get that much salt on the bike unless it's a few mile ride though.
  2. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Don't forget that the salt truck will provide lots of orange stuff all over your rotors, chain and anything else that may need some tenderizing :eek1 ... my reason for sticking to the lake or non-salted surfaces.
  3. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    True.

Heck with it, It's not like I need to go anywhere anyways. Maybe pull the bike inside finally and get some work done to it. I have some little stuff that needs done, and I'm tossing around building saddlebag mounts. Get it in and look at it at least.
  4. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. JDK111

JDK111 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who said I no experience on two wheels on ice??
    Two wheels in traffic + snow and ice = Stupidity :norton
  6. oldschoolsk8ter

oldschoolsk8ter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fixed that for you! :wink:
  7. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree 100%, and if you live in a country like Finland, snow and ice bound for about six months of the year, you'll agree as well. Even with stud's on tyres, cars must have studed tyres from november to march, riding a motorcycle on icy roads would be fucking lunacy. I have never seen a bike on the road here, in the mid winter month's, it's just not on. Scooter's and mopeds with studs, yes. I've got a friend that rides a scooter, max speed 45kmh, thru the winter, you can hardly call it riding, more like walking, and he drops it at least dozen times a winter. My advice would be, if you don't absolutely have to, don't do it.
  8. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few guys over here did the Ironbutt-ride in midwinter, 1600kms/24hrs, and coldest temperatures were lower than -30C. Solo bikes, too, no sidecar. And I think they plan to repeat it so that they'll stay north of the Arctic Circle all the time!

Lunatics... but real winter-riding pros, too :lol3
  9. blackcap

blackcap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi all, ive got a bit of a strange question that i thought might not be so strange for you guys considering the riding you all do. it got to do with snow/mud chains. im riding a DR650 around the world at the moment and being in SE Asia right now have found that mud is a pretty common road building material here. and not the nice mud that makes a rider look good blasting through it. this is the slippery shit thats hard to walk on. i used chains once before to get out of the jungle and they worked really well.

[​IMG]

now im starting to think about running some 50/50 tires and carrying a set of chains with me all the time. this would give me better tire milage and good grip when i need it. this will mean i wont have to be loading the bike down with heavy and awkward spare offroad tires that dont get as good milage as something more road oriented.

i know this is off topic, but i figured that guys that have more experience with chains than me are probably going to congregate here and could let me know of anything that i need to be aware of when running this kind of setup. good idea? bad idea? why? thanks in advance