BMW F800 R - the Rotax Roadster Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Lost Roadie, Feb 19, 2011.

1. TEZZA

TEZZA ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer:
    Is BMW trying to be a KTM ??????????????????:huh
    Ha ha ha ha ha lol:D

2. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Seems like what works on the boxers works well on the F series too.
    Akrapovic and Remus sound the best to me too.

Hard to find a good sounding exhaust for an F series if you like the way
    SV650 sounds, though.
  3. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    Not really, the colour is similar, but other than that it's comfy, fuels really well, doesn't snatch around town, has proper Brembo brakes with 4 pistons in each caliper, doesn't need a step ladder to get on, is economical and goes more than 130 miles on a tank of gas. :lol3 :lol3
  4. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    And it doesnt need maintenance every 12 minutes. :D
  5. flkovacs

flkovacs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I think I used up 2 of my lives with the double flat tyre on my '11 f800r rear. The second, suspect patch, is no longer holding and I'm now looking to buy a new rear tyre (2600 miles on it).

I thought the factory tyres were ok, fairly sticky, no rear tyre chicken strips left, some on front. The front did get a bit squirrely a couple of times (suspension suspect?).

What is the general recommendation out there for a replacement rear tyre?

I am tempted to go with the Michelin PR2, which I have on my other (running) bike.

Incidentally, I'm planning a trip to Cloudcroft NM soon (when, which route, etc. ??) from the SF Bay area. So far I've only ventured into the PNW, and some CA Sierra wonderful rides - nothing in the S/W. Suggestions for that also welcome - I was thinking one week, but now think I should allow for more time.

Enjoy,
    Ferenc
  6. EmanP

EmanP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Karhnage and I just did a instructional track day this last Wednesday and had our suspension adjusted by the suspension guy there. Hey cranked them way more than what BMW recommended. We had them turned to the recommended values and on his he cranked at least an extra 9+ and on mine it was at least an extra 6+ measureing the sag with and without us. Worked much much better. The suspension on these things is pretty bad, way too soft. I had the bike go squirrly under me a few times both in accelerating and in braking so I think it's the suspension more than anything.

What were your facotry tires? Our Pilot Powers are holding pretty good and they did great on the track. I was leaned over as far as you could lean that thing over without going down. I've been thinking about getting a set of PR3's in the winter because the amount of water on the roads we get out here but I'd imagine they'd wear out quick in any other season.
  7. gadgetguy1288

gadgetguy1288 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My F8R, before I installed the Wunderlich radiator guard and instrument panel reinforcers.

Also on the list of future mods:
    -Slip-on Exhaust (haven't decided which yet)
    -BoosterPlug
    -Eliminate the tail on the back(should be done by the end of the week, I'm custom fabricating an aluminum bracket.)
    -Ermax windscreen
    -Engine Spoiler
    -LED indicators and Taillight
    -Red Shorty Pazzo's
    -Solo Seat cowl
    -Rear hugger

When I get the hugger, spoiler and seat cowl, I'm going to repaint everything to Black or dark silver more than likely

[​IMG]
  8. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    So how many turns back, counterclockwise, from full on did he turn it?@
  9. EmanP

EmanP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Clockwise and I think the BMW recommendation was 11 and 12 for our height and weight if I remember correctly so what I wrote earlier was added to that.
  10. flkovacs

Oddometer:
    Hi, I also started with a stiff rear suspension but found the relatively soft front end presenting me with a huge challenge. My 'logic' was to balance the front and the rear suspension (I'm no expert!) I will never forget that first front end dive on route 84 here coming into a turn. the relatively stronger brakes excaseberated the experience :-)

My rear factory tire the bike came with is a Michelin Pilot Power and Michelin said not to mix treads. I still may. The two mushroom plugs I put in about 1k miles ago are down to one working plug.

I am looking into alternatives - have a southwest trip planned to Cloudcroft, NM and want to have more reliable rubber under me ...

If I do hang on to my 13.5l bike ("jury is still out"), as is, front suspension is the next project, for sure,
    Ferenc
  11. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    Just to be sure I understand how you did it...

So the knob is turned counterclockwise to a full stop and then turned back clockwise about 20 clicks? The 11 recommended by BMW then another 9 the suspension guy added? Wow, sounds stiff.
  12. EmanP

EmanP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, we applied the initial 11 or 12. Then watched him crank the crap out of it. I lost count but counted at least that much on my buddies. Then counted about 6 on mine. The responsiveness of the bike was instantly better in the first turn.
  13. flkovacs

Oddometer:
    how did the front behave under those settings?
  14. EmanP

EmanP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The front is soft and squishy and independant of the rear. It sucks and not going to change since there's no way to change without replacing it.
  15. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the fun. Nice looking bike.
  16. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    I put the Two Brothers on today. It sounds a lot deeper and throatier, but a little loud. I ordered a Power Tip for it that will lower the noise 3-4 db. I didnt weigh either of them but the TB has to be 2/3 lighter. The butt dyno doesnt indicate any added horsepower but the throttle response seems a little smoother, just a little though. I had it installed in about 30 minutes, overall I am happy.

[​IMG]
  17. Corbets

Corbets Gravity Slave

Oddometer:
    Go with the PR3s. You've probably read on the f800forums that everyone loves them (except one guy here, I think, who says they almost killed him) but they are so much better than the stock tires on the street that there's really no comparison. I've put 4 or 5 thousand km on mine so far, and the tread depth is still fine.
  18. flkovacs

Oddometer:
    thanks, i'm getting aboard the train ;-) - have one on the way.
    my upcoming planned trip through the southwest (USA) will likely see some huge temperature swings and we'll see how they hold up from below sea level to >3km elevations - mole hill to you!

perhaps my front will be cause for more concern in the heat,
    ferenc
  19. flkovacs

Oddometer:
    looks great - got audio?
    ferenc
  20. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    Not yet, this weekend.