AR-Bonded Titles

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by DrLewall, Oct 9, 2008.

1. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    As many of you out there know, not many of us "dirt bikers" kept or keep title to our off hwy dirt bikes. Usually a Bill of Sale would be proof enough of ownership.

In 2000, I purchased a used 1996 XR400 from a local dealer and all I got was a bill of sale and I figured the "title" would be mailed off to the finance co.

In 2002, I paid off the finance co and got from them, a Lein Release and no title. Didn't even think about a title because now I have a lien release and a bill of sale.

Forward to now (2008)..I now have a Baja street kit on the XR and wish to get it tagged, well guess what, no can do with out a title!

The DMV ran a VIN search and no such records came up. So now I have to do a "Bonded Title"..and here is what I have to do:

Went to the DMV and got a "Request of Bonded Title" form, fill it out. Explain on form why you need a bonded title.

Take the XR to the ASP (Arkansas State Police) for VIN verification. After they verify, you then mail the request and the ASP verification cert to the DMV in LR, (Little Rock).

They down there in LR will look over your request and will either deny or grant your request. If they grant it, you will be given instructions as to the next step to take and I was told that one of them was a Insurance binder (proof of insurance will not do!) and this binder could cost abt $125..

I am at the point now of taking the XR to the ASP for VIN verification and will mail the request off tomorrow. This process should take 3 to 4 weeks I was told.

So here I am, with a "almost" street legal dirt bike still confined to dirt only..oh well..will keep y'all advised.
    (old)
    *********************************************************************************************************************************************
    EDIT: 14 NOV 08 (New/update)

FINALLY! I now have the XR plated! Took a whoppin 36 days and $120...$100 for the bond and almost $20 for title and registration.

You can go to the DMV and get the Bonded Title App or you can download it here..you can scroll down to post number 21 for some more info on this..in short, give your self almost 40 days to get it all done.
  2. tcourdin

tcourdin Resident Spooner

Oddometer:
    The DMV search came up with nothing because it's never been titled. Dirt bikes arent required to be titled in AR. (I think they changed the law recently though and you're "supposed" to title them now.)

Anyway, go back and tell them you want to title and tag a "dirt bike that you've converted to be street legal" and it's never been titled, you should be able to pull it off.

I'd rather take a beating from scrazor than deal with the crazy women at our DMV anyday!
  3. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Ive had a couple of buds go thru the same ordeal..

if the original owner didnt send off the MSO and apply for a title, and you are stuck with the MSO but you are NOT the original owner, its bonded title territory.

PITA.
  4. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    I HATE THE DMV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I would rather beat tcourdin's ass than to have to mess with them.:D
  5. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    well boyz and girlz..I got the ASP to do the VIN verification today..will get this stuff in the mail tomorrow (sat) and see where it goes from here. One thing in my favor tho is I have a Bill of Sale from the dealer.

I guess the "smart" thing to have done FIRST was to try and get this title thing straightend out BEFORE I spent the $600 for the street legal kit!

Would recomend anyone who wishes to tag their dirt bike for street use is to get the title FIRST and then fork over the dollars for the street kit..leason learned!
  6. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    Get insurance on the bike, and make out a bill of sale, dated in the last 30 days. You got 30 days to license a used vehicle in Arkansas.
    Now get out there and get riding :D
  7. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    IM buying a bike out of MO..

it has a title, and headlight, tail light, blinkers.

but its NOT a dual sport ( technically)

IM wondering if they will simply re-issue me an AR title for it ( along with a plate)

the have never checked any other bike of mine, other than look at the title, and send it off.

the bike is a DR350 by the way.
  8. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    you have no worries..if you have a title, even from another state, they will swap you titles (they will take your MO title and put that info on a AR title)..as for plates, you will get a new plate, for AR that is..so when we going ridin?!
  9. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    thats really what I was hoping on the DR350, its got everything I need, Ill get it plated and have another dual sport..

sweet!

IM riding this weekend.

shores lake, camp with the okie dudes, and then some fishing on the way back towards fayetteville.

come on out! Ill even have you a cheap ( and hopefully COLD) beer.
  10. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    are you going to camp out at shores lake fri nite with the okie guys?
  11. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    Yes!
  12. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    cool..any chance of you swinging by my place here and you and I can take the back roads to shores lake..I cant do an overniter but will ride with ya there..ya interested?
  13. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    I might be able to do that, depends on what t9ime my bud from MO hits town, and how long it takes to pack and leave fayetteville!

a coworker/freind and his lady freind have been fishing out there a few times in the last few weeks, he says it is just as beautiful as I remembered it.

He said though, no smallies have joined the party yet..
  14. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    I think you have my contact numbers..keep me advised..if you cant make it by here, perhaps we can hook up at the Combs grocery and then do the back roads from there, ifn you want to that is
  15. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    that will work for sure I think.

it might be a time crunch, and since I have NO idea where it is, if you could guide us, that would be great!

gas pumps at combs? or is durham the last one?

Hey lets take up this topic on the other ( nw okies thread)

pig trail cafe will be the last fuel wont it?
  16. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    if you have small fuel tanks, mite wanna top off in crosses..it's on the right hand side, brown wood looking building..combs doesnt have gas anymore from what I have heard..and if we need to, we can take the dirt roads to Turners Bend for more fuel..anyway lets see if we cant pull this off.
  17. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    Talked to LR today..it's been almost 3 weeks since I sent my paper work in for the Bonded Title, so LR informed me today that my paperwork was recieved and I should be getting the approval for title next week sometime. Looks like I will have to purchase a "bond" of abt $125 from a bonding agent and then take that with my paperwork to the Dept of Finance and get me a plate..so HOPEFULLY by end of next week, I'll have the XR tagged! :clap
  18. tcourdin

tcourdin Resident Spooner

Oddometer:
    It's about time! It always takes a month or two when you deal with L Rock on anything that has to do with a title.
  19. red neckerson

red neckerson Lifetime novice

Oddometer:
    Hey Doc, I'm just about to have to go through this same BS. I discovered this yesterday after returning to the dealer where I recently purchased a used XR250R. I stopped in to check if they had received the title from the original owner (bike was on consignment) and discovered there was no title. Oh what fun. I have two questions. What exactly did the ASP need to look at for VIN certification? Which ASP facility did you visit for this to be done? TIA
  20. TT.TOM

TT.TOM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have done this procedure on an old (1920's) car. It takes a little effort but it works.