“2010 Forever West” Featuring The Best Of The West On Big Trailies

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DockingPilot, Dec 30, 2010.

1. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR, I've been through that area twice, but no gravel.. I was on my old LT.
    Need to get back there on a GS.. I really like the way you guys have the ride set up.. Spread out, but not totally alone..
    I've fished several of the rivers in that area, I believe its called the golden triangle of trout fishing.. (could be wrong)
    Thanks for posting.
    Jeff
  2. rogerc

rogerc FJRider

Oddometer:
    Great pictures, and interesting writing on great places.
    So Little time, so many roads.
    RC
  3. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Make Moose humping your favorite! :rofl
    Q~
  4. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Ill try posting vids going forward a different way.
  5. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    DAY 4
    We had a great nights sleep. Imean it's dead quiet in those parts. The next morning we got up had breakfast in the lodge mounted up and contiued on the CDR portion of our trip. Next stop for us would be Pinedale Wyo. for fuel before heading into the "Big Empty" and Oregon Trail territory.

[​IMG]

This entire section of the route was high in alitude.
    [​IMG]

The Aspens were really alive here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beautiful alpine lake
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking north towards the Bigder National Forest
    [​IMG]

Try this fellas. Also this shows the glorious sunshine at the end of the clip.
    <object width=425 height=239><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010102501.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=aT0xMDc5NzMwMDEzJms9MmV3c1AmYT0xMzU1NDcwNV9uNkx6YyZ1PURvY2tpbmdQaWxvdA==" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010102501.swf" flashVars="s=aT0xMDc5NzMwMDEzJms9MmV3c1AmYT0xMzU1NDcwNV9uNkx6YyZ1PURvY2tpbmdQaWxvdA==" width=425 height=239 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

[​IMG]

<object width=425 height=239><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010102501.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=aT0xMDc5NzM3NjkyJms9eEJpTGImYT0xMzU1NDcwNV9uNkx6YyZ1PURvY2tpbmdQaWxvdA==" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010102501.swf" flashVars="s=aT0xMDc5NzM3NjkyJms9eEJpTGImYT0xMzU1NDcwNV9uNkx6YyZ1PURvY2tpbmdQaWxvdA==" width=425 height=239 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I come back we head into "The Big Empty" and camp at one of the amazing spots I have ever camped.
    [​IMG]

:1drink
  6. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    And I see the vids are still playing without prompt. They are Smugmug hosted so Im not sure why thats happening. For now, just pause them right away then play when your ready. Sorry about that fellas. Any suggestions would be welcome. Maybe Youtube.
  7. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    N
  8. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    The trees were definately at the prime of the color change. Some very nice pics there Frank.

David
  9. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Well, thanks for trying anyway. Not a big deal. If you had 20 on a page, it might lock computers up....but its not a big deal with two. And a least they are short...they are done by the time I scroll there anyway.

The only real downside is, they make the wife ask, " what is that?"..no matter how many times it happens.

Then, I have to respond, " they are vids...in the Epic ride report..from this NJ guy, Frank........" LOL
  10. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Hi Frank! Really enjoying the report.

The scenery and pictures are fantastic. Looks like the riding was fabulously fun as well.

Looking forward reading and seeing more from you and your group.

What a great trip!

:clap
  11. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great RR and Pics DP!!
    I rode much of the same area as you did this summer, but you did it at the perfect time of the year with the fall colors!

(Quote)
    Did I mention the Aspens were full of pomp and fanfare for us ? We frickin nailed it with them throughout the trip.
    [​IMG]

A stark contrast

[​IMG]

:lurk:lurk
  12. bricker18

bricker18 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great RR. Really enjoy this country just outside my door. Too bad it can't be more often than a few summer and fall months. Was -10 this morning here in IF.
  13. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am the reason we made this trip so late. Due to some business engagements I was not able to start the trip before 18 September. We agonized almost a year over the dates. I was really worried we would miss the prime Aspen colors and we ran the risk of really cold weather and the possibility of snow.

Well the Adventure Gods smiled on us as they always seem to. The weather was absolutely perfect and the Aspens were at their color peak. As you can see from the photos the colors were exploding!!!

It's one of the amazing things about our trips and the group we have - the weather always cooperates and there are lots of small things that occur during our trips that have no explanation other than good luck.
  14. Rutsref

Rutsref Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed :lurk THANK U!
  15. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the comments fellas and thanks for dropping in on the RR. Appreciate the intrest. These things are time consuming ! :lol3

Anyway, moving along, we popped out in Pinedale Wyoming. A regular fuel and grub stop on the CDR route. Now normally CDR riders are going to fuel up here and unless they can get fuel in Atlantic City from the local blowcal guy, there going to go all the way to Rawlins across the Big Empty. About 260 miles I believe. No biggie really. But our plan is veer off the CDR and take the Oregon Trail westerly and ride it to the "true" "authentic" Parting of the Ways
    Then not take the Sublette Cutoff but stay on the Oregon Trail (left) like the pioneers did that were headed for the relative saftey of Fort Brigder.
    Our saftey in the form of fuel and grun replenshishment would come in the micro town of Farson, where the trail would pop us out.

Getting close to Pinedale
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike enjoying the day on the GSA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outside of Pinedale on the CDR route and back on dirt again. The landscape changes dramaticly. Goes from sub Alpine to badlands in a blink of an eye.
    [​IMG]

Mulees
    [​IMG]

Pronghorn
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bruce and his beloved Super Enduro
    <object width="425" height="240" ><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010102501.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9MTA3OTcwNTA4NiZrPVBYVk5BJmE9MTM1NTQ3MDVfbjZMemMmdT1Eb2NraW5nUGlsb3Q=" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010102501.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9MTA3OTcwNTA4NiZrPVBYVk5BJmE9MTM1NTQ3MDVfbjZMemMmdT1Eb2NraW5nUGlsb3Q=" width="425" height="240" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

This particular turn, put us in awe. We suddenly were in a different place. Very different.
    [​IMG]

Another great, old homestead. You have to ask yourself, what were they doing living out here?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We just ride for a good ways. It was fantastic. Perect riding temps. Hell, we didn't even know what day of the week it was by know, nor did we care. We had loads of days and miles left to enjoy.
    [​IMG]

No one out here either.
    [​IMG]

The we saw the marker ! I had it plotted on the GPS units, but of course when wandering in these parts, your never quite certain.
    The Oregon Trail.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Oregon Trail has some awesome American history to it. I really studied up on it before we left NJ. The wagon trains were huge. Saftey in numbers right ? By 1854, when the Oregon trail was really gaining popularity, indians in the plains, today's Nebraska, Iowa, were already downtrodden by the white man. Reduced almost to beggers. In fact they did approach the wagons in those early days of the trek and did just that. Beg. But here in Wyoming near the "Great Divide" the indians were far from down trodden. They were still a very proud people. Remember Battle of the Little Big Horn was still years away. Indian attacks here were numerous and deadly. If they didnt get you, Cholorea would.

We are enjoying our ride, while settlers of all ages were dying every day, searching for water and food back in the early-mid 1800's. Estimates suggest 400,000 settlers passed on this trail.
    [​IMG]

Heading west on the Oregon Trail. That decal is now official. :lol3
    [​IMG]

When I come back we reach the Parting of the Ways. The real one.
    And the camp and the trout! Yep, we find water out here! :1drink
  16. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    And I think I figured out how to properly embed the video clips now.
  17. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    yes, you did. That last clips did not autostart. Wait....crap..as typing this, I hear it running. :huh
  18. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Its not on mine Doug...........oh wait.Yes, it is. :huh
    Dam.
  19. Rockin Rollin

Rockin Rollin Rockin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap:lurk
  20. Rockin Rollin

Rockin Rollin Rockin Adventurer

Oddometer: