KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Mnrider2

Mnrider2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Best of luck to you with the new bike!

Good to hear you got through the unofficial issues and finally got the bike.
  2. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yesterday, when ADV was blacked out, I habitually kept navigating to the page just to see if it was back up yet... wishful thinking I guess.

Anyhow, I stumbled across a link on that page (on every ADV page, to be exact) that wasn't dead.

The ADV Hall of Wisdom :pope

There are several archived KLR tech/mods posted there. Just an FYI

It's always hiding down there on the bottom right corner of every page on ADV.
    :hide
  3. woodmnctry

woodmnctry Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks -- that is a great reference ---did not know that existed
    G
  4. Knightwork

Knightwork Have Coffe Cup--Can Travel Supporter

Oddometer:
    But don't worry -my Nihongo is bad too

welcome to the net-----
    Spent 6- 1/2 years in Iwakuni MCAS---just 40 km south of Hiroshima -wish I could go back now and ride again over the roads and see the sites that I remember---Awesome riding and Awesome people too
    :norton
  5. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn it got quiet here all of a sudden.....? We all must be in the garage installing farkles or repairing our bikes......lol:ear:huh
  6. Dan Stark

Dan Stark You can't be serious.

Oddometer:
    I haven't been on mine lately. Finally got a seat deal in the works, so I'm seatless right now.

I did want to say that after posing the question about wind buffeting on my 06 with the tall windshield I tried something. I put on a large tank bag and it solved the wind problem. No more buffeting. I do not like a tank bag however, cause I stand up alot. So now I'm back to cutting the windshield or trying to find a stock short one.
  7. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found the best one was either none or about one 2" high. I like fresh air over buffeting......it's also quieter I found.:freaky
    What seat did you get? Or is it a local shop making you one up? I found it easy to make my own and then get a shop to cover it, not time efficient but you could sit on the bike for hours finding the very best configuration to make it the best in comfort. The shop would them add some felt and cover it professionally......worked best for me.:freaky
  8. Dan Stark

Oddometer:
    I am trading a Corbin flat for a 09 stocker believe it or not. I am not a fan of the Corbin and I like the seat that was on my 08. The only thing I might add would be a walmart pad or a sheepskin for longer treks. Otherwise the newer stock seats are hard to beat, IMO.
  9. Bobby C

Bobby C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are we selling the corbin at a greatly reduced price? Just asking.
  10. schaffer40

schaffer40 I look lived in.....

Oddometer:
    Well I have a stock 09 that I would trade if the Corbin does not work for you. I have been looking to try something different than stock.
  11. Dan Stark

Oddometer:
    Well, the seat's gone. I made a trade in the flea market. I thought about putting something in this thread, but I didn't want to break any rules.

I do have a stock rear shock for sale, which I believe has the preload adjuster broken. I don't know if anyone would even want it.
  12. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is a preload adjuster for a stock seat?:huh
  13. Dan Stark

Oddometer:

Shock, not seat.
  14. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    DOH!!! I was too shocked at the seat trade to read correctly....sorry....:huh:freaky
  15. Dan Stark

Oddometer:
    No sweat. We both got a good deal on the seat we wanted... except while we are waiting on seats we don't have one. :lol3
  16. SocalKLRRiderGhost

SocalKLRRiderGhost n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys! first time post here, had a quick question, just got back from a ride in the mountains on my 2011 KLR, has about +300 miles on it, was on my way back and ran out of juice, had to switch to the reserve, I got to the gas station with 177 miles on the odometer since the last fill and when I filled the tank I only put 4.3 gallons in, Reserve is, according to the manual, 0.5 gallons. So am I missing a gallon? (haha not literally) or am I just missing something else, if the reserve was 1.5 gallons, that would make more sense, but I couldn't figure it out.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance.
  17. Yokomo

Yokomo Trials & Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    Sounds about right for a brand new bike.
  18. Dusty_Bottoms

Dusty_Bottoms Part Time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    and the non-petcock side of the tank holds fuel you can't get to unless you practically lay the bike over to let it slosh over to the fuel pickup
  19. SocalKLRRiderGhost

SocalKLRRiderGhost n00b

Oddometer:
    How much does the non-petcock side hold?

And as for it sounding like a new bike, it I had used 5.3ish gallons to get 177 that would make sense since the reserve is 0.5 gallons. it just seemed like fuel was missing, although as someone else suggested, the main stem fuel line may be too long and so i have to switch to reserve sooner.
  20. Dan Stark

Oddometer:
    Sounds reasonable if not a little low. Post up what the next tank gets for milage. You should be getting close to 50 mpg soon as long as you aren't flogging it. My 08 got 48 at it's lowest and that was alot of sand riding. They are capable of much better, maybe not 58 or 59, but 50-52 should be doable.