Video game addicts...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by EvilGenius, Feb 23, 2009.

1. McNeal

McNeal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing that you've not been to G.N.R yet. That's the first chance that I remember of picking up the Fat Man which is the launcher for the Mini Nukes. Once you get the Fat Man don't waste the mini nukes. There's one spot in downtown D.C. that you'll run across a super mutant behemoth and the Brotherhood of Steel won't be around to help out like they are outside of G.N.R. when another of the behemoths shows up.
  2. 00SS

00SS Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer:
    what an un-climactic end of the game.. oh well, starting over on a "bad karma" run :lol3
  3. McNeal

McNeal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going to start over, but decided to hunt around for a little bit more so I went back to a previous save. Holy smoke did I miss a lot the first time through. It's now all about finding hidden things since my character is the baddest MOFO to hint the wasteland since Yosemite Sam. :rofl
  4. 00SS

00SS Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer:
    hmm. .that sounds like a better idea.. i have one saved game before I killed everyone in Paradise Falls.. looks to be a good starting point. now to go back and reak havoc on megaton :lol3
  5. Jonnylotto

Jonnylotto Zipper Club with Clusters

Oddometer:
    There's more than one way to use the power armor :augie

Going through Operation Anchorage is one of them.
  6. Jonnylotto

Oddometer:
    The armoury in Megaton is a real one: just used to keep weapons safe until the inhabitants need to fight off raiders.

I just finished the TenPenny Tower quest: got Roy Philips and his followers in without violence.

:scratch is it just my imagination or were all those bigots in there nastier to Ripley than Jonny?

Mee-Ooow! :lol3
  7. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    G.N.R.? :scratch

I'm playing Fallout 3, not Guitar Hero. :rolleyes
  8. Jonnylotto

Oddometer:
    :thwak

Galaxy News Radio

"Thanks for listening, childre-e-e-e-n"
  9. McNeal

McNeal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry. As someone pointed out G.N.R. is Galaxy News Radio and going there becomes the quest after you've spoken to Moriaty.

Hang in there, you'll get used to the environment soon. If you truly get stuck, drop a note since there's a few of us here who have walked around the wasteland a bit.
  10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
  11. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:

(psst. If you ever get the idea I'm being a little bit silly with comments like that, go with it...)

I was serious about the hint on the power armour. I hate the fact that I have the stuff, but can't use it.

I'm also pissed that I found the scoped .44 at level 2, restarted the game from an earlier save (literally minutes before), and then the .44 wasn't there when I went back to the spot I originally found it. :bluduh

The game's definitely getting a little easier now that I'm at level 8. Mirelurks still suck, though.

Anyone have any hints on hacking the computers? I know you're supposed to use "2 of 7 correct" and the like to narrow it down, does anyone have a rule of thumb they use?
  12. Charla

Charla Tamalamian

Oddometer:
    The character & it's placement in the word are what you are looking for.

I'm not super scientific about it but I usually scan the options and pick the most common ending like "ing" or "tion" if those don't match then you've eliminated a big pool of possibilities. Then I take the first word I chose and then kind of overlay my next option in my head to see what matches and what doesn't. I spell the second word while I'm reading along with the first word if that makes any sense. :dunno

A guess with no matches is almost as valuable as a guess with a lot of matches.
  13. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I was doing. I've screwed up more than a couple, though.
  14. ThePikeman

ThePikeman German n00b

Oddometer:
    I do the same as Charla. Just turn off the computer after the third miss and do it again. The words change, but you don't lock the computer.
    Worst case is 3 correct letters in a word ending with "ing".
    Does not help at all.
  15. Charla

Charla Tamalamian

Oddometer:
    I only hack the terminals when I have to. If I can I just prefer to pick locks or shoot the turrets. :D
  16. EvilGenius

Oddometer:
    Any tips on what works well on super mutant brutes?

I need to do some killin but nothing in my inventory seems to do much damage.
  17. Charla

Charla Tamalamian

Oddometer:
    What is your repair skill at? If it's fairly high you should be able to get a Chinese Assault Rifle or Combat Shotgun in good enough condition to be pretty effective.

I usually use Lincoln's Repeater to take them out from long range or the Plasma Rifle to turn them into goo. :D
  18. EvilGenius

Oddometer:
    Where do you find the chinese assault rifles?

I lost the one Lucas had and all I find are the crappy ones.
  19. Charla

Charla Tamalamian

Oddometer:
    They are kind of scattered around but don't start showing up until you get further into the game. I'm not sure if it's based on your XP level or where you are at in the storyline missions.

If you work the main storyline missions better weapons will become available.

Vault 86 is full of Chinese Assault Rifles but they're all in the hands of Super Mutants. :lol3
  20. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    For some reason, I keep finding a shitload of grenades.

I started lobbing the grenades at the brutes to soften them up a little. Then, shoot 'em in the face using VAT.

The grenades work well on turrets, too. I love it when the grenades "frenzy" a turret and it starts hammering the raiders standing under it. :lol3

Are the Chinese assault rifles pretty much the heaviest damage small arm? I haven't found anything that's better, yet.