Looking for Baja tracks around San Felipe

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by scottcolbath, Nov 5, 2007.

1. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone got some?

I have the one from that six days post, but I'm looking for more.

S.C.
  2. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    I'm also looking for some. None to trade unfortunatley, but could I get yours?
  3. Jerry Atrick

Jerry Atrick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me too, me too! GPS newbie with a Baja trip in my near future. I'm looking for help/ideas/advice...whose Mexico maps are best?

Thanks for any help
  4. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the Bicamapas from LB maps. I talked to a guy who is supposed to send me his personal GPS track logs from the area, but he is off on a trip so I probably won't hear from him for a couple of weeks. If he sends them you guys are welcome to them as well.

When are you guys heading to SF?
  5. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got back a few days ago. I was down there for the 1K.

Post up what you get when it arrives.

S.C.
  6. SeabeeLT

SeabeeLT Seabee

Oddometer:
    cmwoodys,
    Do you live in North Carolina???? How do you manage to go to California and do Baja adventures? you are my hero, god, and inspiration.
  7. justJeff

justJeff Banned

Oddometer:
    I used the LB maps on a Baja trip last year and was really pleased with them.
  8. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should ping Gaspipe as he has more and better info than almost anyone alive. I'm sure he could comment on your tracks.

Bruce
  9. 2 Wheels

2 Wheels .

Oddometer:
    The locked gates and new fences are between La Huerta at the south end of the Compadre Trail and Ejido Jamau close to the turnoff for Mike's Sky Ranch (east side of Highway 3 between Ojos Negros and Valle de la Trinidad). I keep seeing threads about how guys get around them so I guess it can be done if you look around.

This also is the area where Steve Martz was shot last year, it's an area one of the Baja tour companies has been avoiding for years, and it's an area where small airplanes coming from further south drop off their cargo at improvised landing strips (article in Tijuana newspaper). Just avoid that area and ride pavement for 30 minutes.

If you're trying to cover a lot of miles, take the Compadre trail from Hwy 2 to Hwy 3. It's a fast road.

The road through the National Park from Hwy 2 near La Rumorosa to Hwy 3 should also be open, but it's slower than the Compadre Trail. As you probably already know, the Rangers in the National Park are considering closing the road to all motorcycles and quads, so stay within the posted speed limit to help keep it open for all of us. Mexico doesn't seem to differentiate between street-legal bikes and off-road bikes.

I read about another closure from Rancho El Compadre to El Topo in a thread in Thumpertalk sometime last year. The ranchers were irritated that all the bike and quad traffic was messing up their road. I haven't tried to go through there since the closure. If you're looking for a scenic, easy ride, you may want to avoid that section anyway. It's whooped-out in a lot of places and technical in a few.

I bought gas out of gallon jugs in Heroes de la independencia in March. The Pemex in Valle de la Trinidad is still open.

I wish I could help you with the route through Laguna Diablo, but I don't know anything about it.

Have a good ride!
  10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Gene, Thanks for the input......much appreciated
  11. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    Your left turn heading south off El Compadre Trail at El Compadre ranch may or may not be open.......it hasn't been open for a while but a lot of folks just blow by the signs.......which doesnt help re-open the area for all.......Racers and Ranchers are working with the local community to reopen this stretch......if there are still a lot of "prohibito" signs up at that location/turn off you may want to proceed further down El Compadre and turn left for Laguna Hansen at the Exit 066 waypoint in attached track file which will run you up the Saw Mill/Laguna Hansen.......

The attached track file provdes a basic/easy way to travel between Tecate, Mike's and San Felipe. (except for short cut from Suzy's - WHOOPS)

Attached Files:

12. ROUNDSTOCK

ROUNDSTOCK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the left you usually blow by at the ranch is usually being watered by the rancher to keep dust down ,so when you cross some water like someone left their hose on thats the turn............steve
  13. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love the constant news reports about how terrible and lawless it is down there.

When I was at Alfonsina's I had the entire beach to myself, and there were not even footprints in the sand.:deal

The only place I felt I needed to watch my stuff like a hawk was in-n-out in San Diego.
  14. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3

I've had nothing but positive experiences in Baja......that said I don't push the limits riding anything extreme down there (not worth the hassle/risk of breaking bike or body south of the border) and I respect land owners property rights/wishes (don't want to be seen as the ugly/arrogant Gringo)

Time to head back down now that it's cooling off..... :clap
  15. petelatteier

petelatteier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody been down past San Felipe? I am doing a trip this weekend down as far as I can do in a weekend. Is there any place to stay down there (in Puertocitos or past it) or is it just camping? Anyone have any tracks?

I am planning a bike trip this winter and this is a little prelude ride. I have a Wee Strom so I am not looking to tackle anything too aggressive.
  16. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Google Alfonsina's

Nice road from Puertocitos to Alfoncina's. Sorry I don't have a track though. See my ride report in sig for pics :)
  17. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:

Hey- I wanna go.
  18. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    It is a "nice" road to Alfonsina's. IF you like rough rocky roads though sadly, the rough rocky part is getting shorter by the day. You'll be fine on the vstrom if you don't mind slowing down a lot on those rough rocky parts.
  19. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've read online that it's "the worst road in Baja"

Hardly.

I'd rate it a 2 or 3 out of 10. I blew up a shock on that road which would imply it's brutal. OTOH I was going about 60 at the time so :dunno

Maybe I'm remembering it with rose colored glasses, but I thought it was a fantastic dual sport road.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9619408&postcount=45