938 Miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway (mostly pics)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by rockinrog, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Yamifj1200

Yamifj1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd also like to recomend both Willville motorcycle campground on rt.58 just west of Meadows of Dan Va. and the Blue Ridge motorcycle campground off of rt.276 in NC as great places to camp when riding the Blue Ridge Parkway. They are run by great folks who cater to motorcycle riders and both are very great places to relax after the days ride. I enjoy camping with other riders and hearing the stories that are shared around the fire at night.

I think KOA's have priced themselves way too high for what you get for the money. 30+ dollars a night for a spot of grass... really..

Eric M
  2. Yamifj1200

Yamifj1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I'd have to say thats true...

[​IMG]

Eric M
  3. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    A good photo op as well as a nice place to take a break and relax a little. I wanted to have breakfast in the restaurant but people were lined up waiting on a table so back on the road for me.
  4. algby

algby n00b

Oddometer:
    I have ridden the entire BRP twice. The last trip was the best. My favorite part was camping on Mount Mitchell. It is the highest point east of the Mississippi. Arrived there after dark and work up with the sunrise. Awesome!
  5. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would highly recommend that if you are going all the way down to Cherokee and plan to do the Dragon and then a back and forth on the Cherahola that you consider taking SR28 for your ride out of the area. 28 ends right at Deals Gap, it meets up with US129 there. Or you can catch it off US 74 just SW of the Cherokee/Bryson City area. Ride it down through Franklin, Highlands, Walhalla and Seneca and back to I-85 then you can super slab back up to Charlotte. It is an awesome ride. The road is as much fun as the Dragon and it less crowded with many scenic stops along the way. Check out my RR below, BMW School Trip, there are a bunch of pics from along SR 28. You will be very happy with the route.

Enjoy and ride safe still kinda cool up in the mountains in April.
  6. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would tend to agree.............

[​IMG]
  7. littlelionmonster

littlelionmonster Custom Faker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips, FLARider1. I've been working on options once I get down to Cherokee. I've been through that area a couple times, but we went mnt biking at Tsali and I wasn't too concerned with motorbike roads.

If I figure out how to post my google maps link, I might do that and look for some feedback. There are a couple good looking options when heading back east. I was thinking about heading to the Tuckasegee area then catching 281 to 215 until it connects with 276 then start heading east. Looks fun, but we'll see how the time and weather are.

anyone have a hotel recommendation for the Fancy Gap VA area? That's probably where I'll stop the 1st night, since I'm leaving after work on Friday.
  8. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because of a temporary closure on the BRP I ended up on 276 and 215, but north of the BRP. That was a fun ride. Haven't been south of the BRP. Looks like its the same covering the same amount of ground as doing 28 because you gotta run back up to catch 215 or 276 and then head south. I don't imagine you can go wrong with either choice.
  9. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry we hijacked your thread a little bit Roger!!!!
  10. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Noooo not at all. My trips over, but if we can put any info in here that might help someone else on theirs.. that's part of what it is all about.
  11. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread,,, and read thru it all,,, NICE report and pics!!!!:clap
    Wife and I have ridden the BRP end to end, but not all in the same trip. To me, the best scenery is south of Roanoke, and especially south of Asheville.
    Your fall photos are great, but I'm wondering if anybody has ridden it in the spring when all the spring flowers and such would be coming out in bloom?
    And for the folks living in the area, when would the best time be for that, late April,,,,, mid-May?
    Thanks again for the great report!!!
  12. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree the further south you go the better the scenery. I have wondered about going when the laurel is in bloom. There are several spots that would definately be beautiful in full bloom. Edit: It looks like most of the campgrounds don't open till mid May on the parkway.
  13. markcap

markcap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great, great trip. I did it too. I think it was in May 2008 and the weather was not always nice. I too got stuck one night in fog & rain, ended up camping in a picnic only area. Had no choice, couldn't see through the fog.

I rode to TN as well. I can't wait to ride it again. I love the curves, every curve is engineered the same radius. Nice report & great pictures.

Cap

Attached Files:

14. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems like the weather on the prkwy is one of those feast or famine things. In 09 We hit rain and fog... it got dark and visability was poor we pulled into the campground at Mnt. Pisgah ... decided we wanted something warm and dry so we went over to the Pisgah Inn and got them down on the price. The view in the morning from the room was GREAT!!!

Attached Files:

15. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The fog was lifting out of the valley below.

Attached Files:

16. drivefastandswerve

drivefastandswerve Indianapolis

Oddometer:
    :puke1
  17. LowAndSilent

LowAndSilent Still a newb

Oddometer:
    Wow, this thread is making me pretty homesick.

I grew up in Roanoke and have been to almost all of the places mentioned. I hope to go back and ride the entire BRP someday.
  18. PARIAH

PARIAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report.
    I've got the same tent.
  19. BlueSkyGuy

BlueSkyGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BRP, SLD,129, 421, 50, 219,6, 33, 250, etc...
    The food at Otter Creek wayside is rotten, around the corner just outside of Big Island there is a diner at the (BP?) gas station, it aint much to look at but the food is great... fried chicken too.

Other waysides line up this way in my book;

Mabry Mill mm 176 pretty good them biscuits are great.
    Doughton Park 241 ahhhhh so so at best.
    Crabbtree Falls 339 reno ruined the whole theme and the food is rotten.
    Mt. Pisgah 408 hotel food is average, just don't be first for breakfast the pre-fry the eggs the night before and then do a quick rub in the pan for the first morning visitors.
    Luck is that the Woodlands BBQ is only 5 minutes off the BRP at Blowing Rock.
  20. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like hearing about the stuff just off the parkway. I am learning the prky but unless you get off at every exit its hard to know what is around with the no sign policy .... I guess it helps with keeping the parkway pure.. but it sure whould be noce to have little signs letting you know if food/gas is available close.