Central Valley Dual Sport Rides more fun good times

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by dsrider, Jul 18, 2007.

1. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    You know I would kill myself on that little beast, what is that?
    [​IMG]maybe this would do?
  2. powerman

powerman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Steve,

That's an Aprilia. Italian V-twin, 550 cc and it comes with blinkers.

Maybe you should stick to the Husky, seeing as how they are owned by BMW now. You're a Company man to the core.
  3. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    Don't you bleed orange? I don't know if I am man enough for that bad ass machine. Since I am a BMW factory rider, maybe the now BMW owned husky would work, but that twin sure is sexy. Wow, street legal too?

Dont you think a good ol' XR650R would work good for me?

I found a plated one..............what do you think?
  4. powerman

Oddometer:
    Steve,

I said the Aprilia had blinkers, I didn't say it was CA street legal. The dealer says that he sells them as dirt bikes, but when they come back for service they all have plates on them. They love them.
    I had an Aprilia Falco(streetbike), sold it to get the Adventure S, great bike, no problems.
    As for my blood, it's still Honda Red, it's just that I have been forgotten by the family. They don't build what I need. I wanted a CR 450f in 1998, but they didn't make it until 2002 so I got a 1998 YZ400f, then when the dual sport laws changed I needed a new bike to replace my beloved-heavily modified XR 400. I needed a CR 450x, but that was 2004 and the X wasn't out yet, so I went KTM because they made what I needed when I needed it. Same for the Adventure S, if team Honda had an upgraded Africa Twin that they would bring to the U.S. I'd be riding that. I've been forsaken by my own family, maybe I'm just ahead of my time.
    So yeah, Get the XR, it'll stomp those KLRs in the dirt, you just have to kick start it. If you get it, I'd love to test ride it.
  5. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    xr650r is really what I think I want, put a cushy seat on it weld a rack to it and off we go.:clap :clap :clap
  6. powerman

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    There stuff isn't cheap, but it won't likely break on the trail. I've got one of their kickstands on my 525, way better than the stocker. You can even get a rack with a slot in it to carry a chainsaw for clearing trails.
  7. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy Labor day everyone.

<TABLE class=tborder id=post5208240 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175>powerman<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_5208240", true); </SCRIPT>
    Adventurer

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_5208240><!-- icon and title -->Steve, how about this for you next dual sport?
    <HR style="COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->[​IMG]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  8. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    Looks Fierce
  9. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    After much deliberation I think I am going to keep the berg. I may buy a second bike once I have the berg paid off, to ride when the berg is broken. I was really lookin forward to the October 20th ride, it is my birthday, but I don't think I can afford the nessisary parts before then.

Heya Tom... Where'd you get your FCR? I plan on getting one as well. Is there a main screw adjustment for altitude changes? A hot start decompression deal? I saw one that has a TPS on it, but I don't know if I can get that working right, that is just one more thing to go wrong if you ask me. The banshee had a similar mechanical system that was junk. That was the first thing I took off. I called APF here in town, he had a 39mm Quicksilver off a KTM 620 that I was considering having machined to 41mm, but it is an older carb and from what I hear hard to find jets/needles. It is cheap, ($75 vs. $500+ for the FCR) but I think in this case cheap = trouble.

All in all I think I need around $1000 in parts/improvements and this does not count what ever detonated in the head when I was on highway 1 in July. I got a hold of Linaweaver again, he said December/January was the soonest he could take a look at it. Even then he wasn't sure he would have time to work on it he said. I asked for a price quote/hourly rate and he hasn't gotten back about it. He may charge in first born children if the guy is half as good as he claims.
  10. tr1200

tr1200 High Side

Oddometer:
    Montibanks-
    I have a local contact for you to try. The #'s in my work truck in the shop right now, but I can send it to you via private message next week. He's in Clovis and came highly recommended from an out-of-town Husaberg/Husqvarna/VOR/TM/ATK mechanic. Glad you're keeping the Berg; when you get things sorted out you'll be glad (I think)
    HST
  11. tr1200

tr1200 High Side

Oddometer:
    PS- my 41FCR has TPS and was stock on the bike. One of the many upgrades after '03
  12. powerman

Oddometer:
    I've got to give you guys credit for loyalty.:clap That Husaburg sound like an exercise in frustration. Good luck!
  13. shazamdrz

shazamdrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The xr650r is truley a bad mother. The prob is no elec. start. U can get a bolt on elec. starter for it though. cost about $1k. A truly bad mofo though.

I saw your DR @ moto one yesterday. What up with that?
    jeff
  14. shazamdrz

Oddometer:
    Is anyone riding on Sunday. I am going to but i don"t have a plan so I am open to anything. call 213-0217. Jeff
  15. dsrider

dsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How is the bike running? How was camping. My people said that you went undetected And I was distracted last weekend which made it very difficult to get up there.
    May ride today and Sunday May also have some extra luggage on back
  16. shazamdrz

Oddometer:
    It's sweet now. the crank siezed. New piston, rings, crank, oil pump, clutch, clutch cable, honed the head and re-inspected everything. Thank God for ryan @ moto one... he could have taken me to the cleaners but he cut me a major brek on the labor and discounted the parts. I couldn't have got them cheaper. I tried! I saw your DR there Steve. What r u doing to it?

I am down for riding today. What time r u thinking? I can through some extra cargo on the back too. Ol' girl loves going for rides.:evil
  17. shazamdrz

Oddometer:
    That would be "throw":huh
  18. shazamdrz

Oddometer:
    Just a stop along the way

Attached Files:

19. stevele5

stevele5 knight errant

Oddometer:
    The lag between rides is pure torture. I am looking for a sponsor who will allow me to ride every day, I just need enough to cover my expenses, I will quit my job and ride for the team. Maybe the guys at Gold Bond could pony up a small fortune every month. My bike is already yellow, and gosh I have used enough of that stuff. If any of you guys run across some sponsors that want to invest in me riding more, please let me know. Maybe I can start a paypal account on advrider and beg for 5.00 at a time. "Will ride for food" Until then I will have to sponsor myself........or how about I can send out letters to all my friends and family to support riding for a cause................................now, I only need a cause, hmmmm, any ideas?:ear

I know, I will be a motorcycle missionary, spreading the good news of dual sport riding and saving mens lost and pathetic lives from the duldrom of ordinary existence bringing them into the light of the Sierra mountains where God can clearly be seen!!!!:eek1

For a small tax deductable gift you can partner with me to spread the good news, I only need 100 partners to to seed 100.00 each per week to get the message out to the lost.:wink:

In return for your small gift and to say thank you for partnering with the cause, I will send you the SECRET.:deal

Oh, and by the way I look forward to seeing you guys at the secret disclosed location for some great breakfast and strong coffee. Come early and stay late..........is that the secret.....oh know/no!!!!!:eek1
  20. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    Stevies kids