Garmin GPS custom routing options

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by kave, Jul 25, 2005.

1. kave

kave Gravel rules

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a Garmin GPS MAP 276C. One of the major reasons for this purchase was the function "Custom Avoids and Custom Road preferences to Road Routing setup". This option should be really well suited for motorbike use to be able to be routed to the destination on really small roads for example. I have tried this on different occasions but I haven't seen any difference in the calculated route whatever I chose there. I use the european cityselect 7.
    This option should also be available on other GPS units, for example the 2610 and 2620.
    Anyone with experience?
  2. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    I do custom routes all the time - bottom slider (minor roads) all the way to the right, middle slider (medium) in the middle and major all the way to the right - works like a champ for me.
  3. Possu

Possu de-nOObed!

Oddometer:
    Works for me too.

If still not being routed the way you want, force the route to do so using the Add/Edit Waypoint feature.
  4. yzf1kr

yzf1kr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Remember that your GPS has a maximum amount of point it can contain.

So if you try to do 700km on small backroads the route will go over the maximum amount of points and wil be simplified. Especially in Europe where the road density (and thus intersections, roundambouts etc etc) is much higher.

Try to make shorter routes with custom route.
  5. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    When you enter the route, does your Garmin ask you the routing preference? i.e. faster time, shorter distance, off road, or Custom? It could be that the feature is turned off.
  6. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the options is to "avoid" unpaved roads. If only there was a way to "avoid" paved roads it would be perfect. Can someone hack this?
  7. Possu

Possu de-nOObed!

Oddometer: