Countersteering confusion : (

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by IrishJohn, Dec 30, 2012.

1. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:
    Flysniper nailed it. The rest is just arguments. If you ride 2 wheels, you countersteer.
  2. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    The faster you need to change direction the harder/faster you countersteer.
  3. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:

You are correct, Sir!:deal
  4. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :stupid
  5. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Push with left what? What is it I'm pushing? :wink:
  6. shaddix

shaddix Banned

Oddometer:
    I think you push the front wheel left is what it means
  7. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    I am gonna' have to say that I believe the majority of the people posting in this thread are making light of this. There simply CAN NOT be this many people that have little to no basic concept of how to control a motorcycle.

Of course, maybe I am expecting too much, given the shitty riding I see on the street. Maybe it is just the track junkies that can pilot a bike. Dunno... amazed at this thread though...

Barry
  8. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    In ErikDK's case it is "people away" with his sniveling strain at a gnat nitpicking mentality. :lol3
  9. ErikDK

ErikDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Up yours too.
  10. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your what? Thats a bit ambiguous. :norton
  11. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  12. IrishJohn

IrishJohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for clearing the reaction/speed/time thing up. I honestly never thought my question here months ago would create all this response - I kind of keep hoping it will go away, there are a lot of personal attacks floating around which is a shame.

Anyway - if the darned Instructor had said 'To go Left you STEER right momentarily until the bike is in its turn which usually happens so fast and is so automatic to SOME of you you won't even notice it etc etc etc" a lot of time and pondering would have been saved.

Anyway - I have given up 'noticing' what the handlebars are doing for that tiny fraction of time and am really enjoying riding in a away that I hope I will never find out what I will actually 'do' in an emergency swerve : )

A sincere thank you to those who really went the distance helping me (and others) with this - and those who got upset with those trying to help, well I am sorry about that but as far as I know one is supposed to be an 'adult' before getting a MC licence over here, right?
  13. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Try going down a winding road at a moderate pace with your left hand on the gas cap. You,ll understand it better.
  14. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    IrishJohn

You shouldn't worry about the personal attacks. This is an important conversation item, many riders, including veteran riders of many years, still need to learn about this.

The back and forth here with some personal attacks is entertaining, and the people who participate actively on these conversations can take it. At the same time there is good and important information being passed along.

It is all good!

Lion
  15. Valker

Valker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Barry, I have had track veterans, racing veterans, etc. in a basic skills class who totally misunderstood countersteering and could barely control their bikes at anything under 30 mph.
  16. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    i saw a youtube vid of a RC Harley, 1/10th scale, running down a street upright under power. As the operator at the RC controller would "steer" the bike I could clearly see if he "steered" it right, the bike very slightly went left before initiating the lean to the right.

Proof to me that even without a rider aboard, countersteering is needed to "initiate" the lean that causes a cycle to make a turn.
  17. Fajita Dave

Fajita Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, I have an 1/8 scale sportbike and it works just like you would expect it to. If the wheel is turned left, the bike leans right. Once its leaned you practically let go of the steering wheel knob on the radio. There is no rider moving around or personal "feel" to screw up the results.
  18. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Boggles the mind...
  19. lnewqban

lnewqban Ninjetter

Oddometer:
    Now, after you have finished leaned-turning and you need to roll the bike back up to a vertical position...........would you call that control input counter-steering or over-steering?
  20. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    Well-played.