Mitas Tyres

Discussion in 'OZ Vendors & Flea Market' started by Beet, May 21, 2011.

1. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume

Oddometer:

Hey Pete,

I have an E-10 on the Strom at the moment and its wearing fast (its the second one) I must say after having such a good run out of e-09 dakars on the DR the E-10 is a dissapointment!

Did I read correctly you are going to make an E-07 larger to make it appealing to bike like mine? and if so will it reamin the hardwearing tyre that it always has been!

if so when are they going to hit Oz shores I have loved the E-07 and the E-09 Dakars but the E-10 is far to soft IMHO and I wont be going there again as they are bloody dear for 1500 ks of riding! - this may work in europe where 1500 ks of adv riding is quite big , but if you take the example of the TK memorial ride thats 4000ks there and back without any detours!

oh yeah and thanks for coming and answering questions it is appreciated!

Leith
  2. BROTOWNBOY

BROTOWNBOY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE=Mitas;
    which tyre was mounted before ?
    I heard about other mileage on the HP2 .
    ( as well I saw a TKC 80 which was ( totally ) destroyed after 1200km on a HP2 ... in acc to this the E-10 is much better )
    It would be easier to compare when I know what was mounted be4 ... and which tracks you use.

I ran the E08 on one rim and had the E09 on another. Changed wheels as needed then went with an E10 when they both wore out. My first outing on the E10 was a 1000km sealed road trip with about 36psi in hoping it would last. The first half of the trip the tyre squirmed all over the place :eek1 and was well worn by the end of 1000ks :cry.
    Will probably go back to the original setup I think. BTW I run E07s on the g/s and get great mileage, just not happy with E10 at all.
  3. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    OK.. E09.. 28 PSI on a fully loaded KLR. And distance around 5500 KM

Many thanks.
  4. motorcycletyres AU

motorcycletyres AU Motorcycletyres Pty Ltd

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, just letting you all know that the 150/70B18 and 90/90B21 E-10 have landed in Melbourne. RRP is $259 and $189 respectively, available Australia-wide through your local friendly bike shop.

I'd like to address a couple of points if I may. Firstly, I can't add much to Mitas' excellent technical posts regarding compounds, but I would like to highlight the fact that the E-10 is a very different beast to the E-07/8/9 on a much deeper level than that. Beneath tread patterns and rubber recipes is the fundamental construction of the tyre, and that is where the E-10 is light years ahead. It's belted-bias carcass, at least theoretically, is far better suited for transmitting large amounts of power to a wide range of surfaces. It offers, again theoretically, the sidewall strength and all-round toughness of a crossply, but with the greater flexion, traction and stability of a radial tyre.

I say 'theoretically' because it is for you guys to decide whether these characteristics actually translate to the real world. We love the Dakars, and all the stories we hear of groups of people riding thousands of outback kilometres without a single puncture between them. But we also know that if we were riding powerful bikes, heavily loaded, at high speeds, over variable terrain, then we'd probably want to be on E-10s. There is a lot more to a tyre than 'kilometres-per-dollar of wear'.

The other point I'd like to make is regarding distribution. We've worked really hard to make Mitas tyres more accessible through regular retail channels. As many of you know, we used to sell directly. The problem was that we simply couldn't offer all the advice and service that was being asked of us, and half of the tyres were being taken to dealers for fitting anyway. More recently we have taken to referring all sales directly to dealers and subsidising freight so that every bike shop pays the same low cost. We now have over 700 dealers, in every state and territory across Australia. It is no secret that some are more helpful/friendly/greedy than others, but if your regular bloke won't get you Mitas tyres at a fair deal drop us a line and we'll line you up with someone who will. If you just want cheap internet rubber there are other brands for that.
  5. Mitas

Mitas caretaker

Oddometer:
    let´s start with Happy snapper

The regular pressure is 33psi (Dakar 40psi)
    But 5500k´s sounds not so bad for a Knobbie...even with a visible white stripe in the midle after he worned out... (can be the natural rubber support layer,.. tread have different layers)

As you must know X-ply tyres "growing" during using. The faster you go the more the tyres have a peaked contoure ... Radial growing as well but not with a peak .. The "Belt" keep the tread flat... Have a look , E-10( 150/70B17) is belted ( even it´s still a crossply ) and have a smooth (should have ^^) and unfortunately fast wear ( looks like)

@BROTOWNBOY
    @lentil

please help me with the date of production...
    I agree.... too soft.
    If the DOT is "younger" then 35th week ( September ) 2010 (3510) ... then it´s a new problem to take care about.

E-07 is ( will ) be available in following sizes

110/80-19 E-07 57T TL/TT
    150/70-17 E-07 70T TL/TT
    150/70-18 E-07 70T TL/TT
  6. lentil

Oddometer:
    I will look forward to the E-07

My Date is 4910

ill see if the last tyre i had taken off is still floating about and get a date offf that for you as well!
  7. Luushen

Luushen Victorian

Oddometer:

best rear tyre i ever owned
  8. lentil

Oddometer:
    Yeah I have run three on the back of the DR as well as E-09 dakars and I have really enjoyed them - I hope it translates into the bigger tyre if they wear like the old e-07 and have the same level of grip - ill be as happy as larry
  9. Mitas

Mitas caretaker

Oddometer:
    ok...
    4910 is quite young
    I will check the changes who are made for 2011
  10. Mitas

Mitas caretaker

Oddometer:
    you´re absolutely right ...

There is a lot more to a tyre than 'kilometres-per-dollar of wear'. ...

It offers, again theoretically, the sidewall strength and all-round toughness of a crossply, but with the greater flexion, traction and stability of a radial tyre.

The belted tyre is radial and Cross-ply in a body....
  11. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    Haven't got the "white stripe" yet so will keep running for a while.

Many thanks.
  12. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm loving the EO7 on the Ten 12, 5000ks so far and maybe half worn. Had a TKC fitted from new, but have found no terrain that the TKC has an advantage over the EO7, and I've done some pretty shitty stuff!:evil
  13. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mitas tyres are popular here

[​IMG]

The rears are tops the fronts could be better.
  14. chadams

chadams Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HI Bob are you running tubes with those?
  15. guzzimike

guzzimike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you tell us how many of these actually stock your tyres?
    (As opposed to "ordering them in" with a sigh)
    edit. And we were buying your rubber cheap on the internet, and fitting 'em ourselves, until you set up another level of parasites (whoops, sorry, dealers) and the price went up.
    And availability went down.
    Great tyres but.
  16. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    I think basically we all want a tyre that gives good value for money.

Value basically means grip and wear for a good price, which was where Mitas excelled before, if you didn't include wet weather handling :lol3.
  17. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's exactly how I feel. I want a tyre that has OK grip, doesn't have to be great just good enough, and is good value for money.

If my tyre isn't so grippy, I'll adjust my riding to match that. But if the tyre wears out too fast or is really expensive then I won't buy it.

Extra bonus points for sure if it has great grip, but I'm not willing to hurt my wallet to achieve that goal.

At the moment I use C-02 off road and a bit on road, and Pirelli Scorpion A/T on road and a bit off road (note: these might as well be racing slicks in mud :eek1). I think I'll give some E-09's a go for my road tyres next time, but am pretty happy with those scorpions.

On the front I use whatever's in the shed, as I have about two year's worth that I acquired dirt cheap a while back.
  18. Mitas

Mitas caretaker

Oddometer:
    . . . *note* ....

what if we are adding more wet grip ?
    The value is better .... isn´t it ?

Where does "expencieve" start ?
  19. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    When it's wet, i ride with such a big safety margin that grip really doesn't matter much. I'm usually too cold/uncomfortable to care, and asking myself over and over why I didn't take the Ute to work, so I don't bother riding at 100% (my commute to work twice a week is 20 minutes of city traffic, 20 minutes of twisties, and 40 minutes rural highway).

And after riding in gravel, I'm not too worried when the tyres slide around a bit on a sealed road in the wet.
  20. Mitas

Mitas caretaker

Oddometer:
    Good attitude !

It´s not so fare away from the optimum...

But it´s clear... if there is a possibility to increase the safety even with the characteristic of the tires...

It can´t be wrong