The XR400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hayduke, Jan 16, 2008.

1. sbruton

sbruton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

It's nice to see this thread. :clap I've been over at TT lurking around, but I'm really interested to see how you guys have outfitted your XR400 for "touring"...

I acquired my '00 XR400R this summer in a trade for an '01 DR650. The reason I went for the trade was that it was in great shape and was already Dualsported, so I didn't have to go through the hassle. I'm a big fan of the simplicity and reliability of the XR's - as was the case with the DR. I also like the off-road tendency and reasonably light weight of the XR vs. the DR.

At the moment my bike is apart awaiting the 440 kit (cylinder is at the machine shop) and the 200W stator the just arrived in the mail :evil. I also have a black SDG seat on the way to replace the stocker that the PO cut
    way down...

Here's a pic from last summer:

[​IMG]
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    go with some of tom's products:
    http://www.turbocity.com/default.php?cPath=69_83
  3. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice bike, sbruton. I'm still torn- I like the Acerbis tank, but I don't want it's size to interfere with riding singletrack. What are your thoughts? Also, coming off of the DR650, how would you compare the two on road and off....
  4. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Good question. :ear
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    offroad,
    xr does much better as it more agile and the xr motor can be lugged while the dr motor is not happy when lugged. xr is a single track king. dr is better at fire roads and such.

onroad,
    dr is happier. i've geared my xr down (14 tooth CS) to work optimally off road so that has an affect on road. still gets me down the hiway just fine, just not as fast or comfy as the dr.

as for the tank i'd say go with a clear ims if you need maximum fuel but i would not go any larger. any more and you're carrying too much weight up too high. a 200 mile day of single track would be mega epic and there are places in the ark valley/taylor park to plan and peel off for gas if need be. you're proabably think longer rides out to the advanced stuff in taylor park aren't you? just gas up at the taylor park store.

like i said you can throw 2 large msr bottles with gas in a pack if need be or get a rear rack and strap a gallon on the back or mount a small koplin tank on the rear.
  6. playzNmud

playzNmud I love pedal derby

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

the cameo "salutes"

[​IMG]
  7. playzNmud

playzNmud I love pedal derby

Oddometer:
    then.. when those don't work.. cuss.. kick the bike.. cuss some more... take a dirt nap.. throw a temper tantrum.. and finally someobody will take pity...:lol3

oh ya... dirt nap again from exhaustion from kicking it!!!!:rofl
  8. sbruton

sbruton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

The Acebis tank is BIG and I would only recommend it for back country type DS rides where it's not too aggressive. As eakins eluded to - it adds a lot of weight up high if the tank is full. I am running the stock tank now and will continue to do so unless I really need the extra range on long back country trips. The good thing is that they are super easy to change out and isn't a big deal to keep both tanks around!

I was trying to make my DR more capable off-road with various mods and now I'm trying to make the XR a bit more capable on-road (taller gearing, big bore etc). The suspension in the DR is very soft and more suited to true dualsport and back roads, however very comfortable on-road. You can ride single track with the DR, but much slower pace than the XR. There is no question the XR is a true dirt bike and the DR is not. If I can get the XR to run along the highway at 100 kph without ringing the sh!t out if and still have low enough gears to ride single track - I'll have the best of both worlds! I find the XR quite comfortable on the road, provided I can keep the RPM's down....
  9. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking about a light DS bike that can carry some gear and had looked at the XR400 a couple of times. Now leaning towards the 223lb dry wt KDX220.

It's all a compromise and mind set thing.
  10. 2old2race

2old2race I wana ride

Oddometer:
    And ajust the valves :evil
  11. sbruton

sbruton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're absolutely right...

I had a '97 KDX 220 that was "plated" for the road. It was a great bike, but the buzzy road manners were not pleasant. I found that I had to blip the throttle all the time when I was droning at a constant speed, even on a gravel road. Short blasts down roads to connect trail heads is fine, but I can't imagine riding for much distance on it....

Also keep in mind you'll need to carry oil to mix with your gas if you have to stop at a gas station to fill 'er up!
  12. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I'm just hoping the XR will keep up with the wifes XT225 on the road.

Eakins- Taylor park etc is what I was thinking for the big tank (and some other even longer "secret" routes). :evil I've been over there when the Taylor Park store didn't have gas, though :eek1 Luckily I was on the KLR supertanker.

Also I dream of some long rides in Utah and Baja...
  13. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I did a short CO Rockies trip on the DR last summer and really enjoyed it, especially going solo and camping. To save the knobblies (and to get me to CA) I only rode 45-50mph on the pavement sections (4th gear) and I didn't go insane, was actually OK, hence the mindset reference.

No intent to hijack. I wanna see all the good XR400 info that spills out here.
  14. Hayduke

Oddometer:
  15. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    I'm really beginning to like this little bike. Just before this thread popped up, one appeared on my local CL. A 2001 for $1650. Alas it sold quickly to some other lucky bastid.
  16. Hayduke

Oddometer:

They can be had for super cheap, that's for sure. :nod
  17. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a pic of my 2000 XR4 with 440 kit and Mikuni pumper.

I have run the IMS 4 gal tank on it full time for the last several years. Takes a little while to adjust to the handling and weight but I don't notice it now. I love being able to go all day at places like Taylor Park without having fuel issues.

When I had my suspension done professionally, I had them take into account the big tank.

[​IMG]
  18. Wallace

Wallace Seat belt tight babe?

Oddometer:
    Had the original 96 XR4 for two seasons and nearly 4k miles.

The Good;
    Bullet proof, can't kill them. Its a Honda.
    Good bike for entry level off road.
    Lots of after market.
    Excels in tight knarly slow technical riding.
    Short wheel base makes for easy wheelies.
    Easy to maintain.

The Bad:
    Its a Honda.....
    Heavy, why I never put a big tank on. Too much weight too high.
    Suspension mods are a must! See Neil Hors or Slavens.
    When its hot (and you will get it HOT) it can be real cranky to start. Know the starting procedure. TDC, hot start, choke ,half throttle etc. Learn it ,Live it.
    Doesn't like to be pushed , I got chucked off this bike more trying to go fast then any other four bikes put together.

Enjoy.....:evil
  19. paochow

paochow Bye bye desert

Oddometer:
    Uh oh, another XR400 rider and to think I thought you had good taste Hayduke:lol2

In all seriousness, my buddy has one and I've done my fair share of miles on it. Good bike and very easy to work on. He recently got bit by the pumpkin bug though so he will likely be parting his Super XR soon if you know anyone looking for blingy gold Ohlins forks.

Here's a few pics to share..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    oooh! Nice bike- I like the forks, but they probably cost more than I payed for my whole bike!

Are those dunes near where you live? Damn I gotta get down there and ride with you. :deal