DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:

There is a kill switch in the wring I sent your way also. Swap everything, or swap one item at a time.
  2. redleger

redleger Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello guys, Current 1996 DR 350SE Rider here and I love this bike. My first dirt bike in over 15 years. Was out of the riding biz for so long because I joined the Army, and finally decided after second deployment life is too short and bought my mistress(The bike)

I have a question. I have been spending more time off the road than on, finding that I love dirt and speed and occassionally a little air when I hit things just right. Everyone says my DR is not meant to be ridden like a trail bike, or jumped, or meant to handle and corner well going fast in a harsh trail environment.

I have been looking at buying an actual trail bike. I found a 2005 DRZ 250 but I have read a few reviews, and no matter how much I stare at it, It seems to look like my DR, minus the lights and mirrors.

My question is, is the DRZ a better bike for handling in the trails, single track and sandy pits, or is it basically going to be like riding my DR? If it is basically the same thing, then I might as well hold out for a different brand of trail bike, thought I was hoping to be a Suzuki rider.

Any input from people who have been doing this alot longer than me would be very much appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. heirhead

heirhead Worlds Worst Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Who are you Columbo?
    Its only 10:00 pm here and I am taking the carb off again. Shimming and jetting. I know piece of cake, right. Love to tinker in the garage, no shop, just garage, but with something I can hit with a hammer or weld. Little jets, washers, needles, YUCK!
    Did they put the air box in the air and build everything around it? Don't know how you put up with that thing RuggedExposure? I don't own a gun but I do live very close to a Harbor and that thing would be swimming with the fishes a long time ago!
    I can hear that Husky, can you? Come and get me, Come and get me, COME AND GET ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heirhead
  4. MadChap

MadChap Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I can't say I've been riding "a lot longer" as I hadn't ridden since college (read 1980's). In 2004, I bought a Yamaha TW200 (after researching bikes for about 6 months) and ended up putting 10,000 miles on it before I found I needed a different bike. I again did a ton of research and it came down to the only bike I wanted was a DR350SE. I bought it in 2010 and have added about 8,000 miles to it. Spring 2011 I knew I needed something more road worthy and added a V-Strom 650 to the DR. Things happened and I've only put about 4,000 miles on that so far.

I get the "different bike itch" from time to time. I also think about a more tight trail worthy bike. Light and flickable. Something with some real punch when you hit the throttle and a suspension that can really absorb riding at speed. I'm always on a tight budget so Orange is out. In my research I've come upon lots of feedback that really makes me want to ride a KDX200. Cheap to purchase used, the snap of a 2-stroke. Yet everything I read tells me it still has low end torque and a much smoother powerband than any other 2-smoke. Decent suspension and I see them selling all the time in the Northwest for 1,000-1,500 bucks. I even saw one that someone had gotten plated in WA.

However, for me, I would get killed if I brought another bike home (the TW is long gone) and I don't want to part with either of my bikes. Also I don't want to trailer my bikes to ride them, that makes a short afternoon "quickie" into a much longer ordeal.

I think the answer for me will be to do some suspension work in the DR, add a 385 kit and have Jesse modify the muffler. I'd go pumper carb but I ride long distances through the desert and fuel range is a real issue. To me that's much cheaper than adding another bike and I really love my DR.

Certainly not an expert, but that's my $ .02.

Tim
  5. wangiles

wangiles Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Ghostyman

Ghostyman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Greg! I finally went and inspected the "L" shaped piece.I pulled the one from my other bike to verify that it was bent. It was bent... not sure how that happened but it was causing my problem getting past 2nd gear.

I'm thrilled to have one of my bikes almost back up and running.

I reassembled the clutch and put everything back together. Of course, I had a part left over and I cannot figure out where it goes. It might not even be from this bike but it was with all the other pieces I took off this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to start the bike until I figure out what this is (or convince myself it's not necessary).

[​IMG]
  7. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you found the source of the problem (that "L" bracket is easily bent). Sorry, I don't recognize that pin with the oval-esque head shape and the yellow cad? plating.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  8. markk900

markk900 Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I gather, the DRZ is only a little lighter (maybe 10lbs) and the motor is significantly less torquey. So I'd actually assume it wouldn't even be as good as your DR.....(not that the DRZ is a bad bike or anything).

Other than weight, I find the DR excellent off road. Simple suspension mods and especially tuning the suspension to your riding style and weight make a world of difference. Motor is amazing.....its just heavy.

If you truly want a trail bike I can say from experience the WR250 Yamaha is a joy to ride off road. Requires more maintenance than the DR, and is in no way suitable for even short road rides, but for pure trail riding its amazing. I also have a little bit of riding on a KTM 450 off road - that was too much for my skill level (but FUN!).
  9. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:
    This is actually the easiest bike I have worked on it a while. Compared to my '98 KTM 620 or '03 TTR250, this thing is a breeze. Even with the Acerbis tank on, I can have the carb off in just over 2 minutes without removing any body panels.

When I bought it in sept I stripped it down to pretty much the frame and motor in a few hours, painted everything, and reassembled it the next morning: The NM Dirt Bike

Everything will be swapped one at a time so I can be certain what the culprit is.
  10. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    I've had a few bikes since my first in"68, and no one bike that I've found will do it all. All the DS bikes are some amount of compromise. The DR350 is about as close as I could find to fit my needs for a DS bike. The problem with a lot of models is the transmission gear ratios. Most don't have a low enough 1st gear to do the nasty, rocky, pick your way through, slow stuff, and then a high enough top gear to run 65mph on the road, with out spinning the motor to much. The 3 best I've found are DR650, DR350 and Husky TE610. The KLX300 is a fun little bike with a lot of torque, really light, great suspension and rides a lot like the DR350, close ratio trans that tops out about 50mph. Geared mine up as far as I could and did the Continental Divide Ride and most of the Trans America Trail on it. Tried the KLX450 but it is almost uncontrolable in the rock gardens and rocky, tight, jeep trails, and does not have a DS usuable trans. The DRZ has the same trans problem, although If spinning the motor on the hwy doesn't bother you, they work ok. Thought about the WR250R and other FI bikes, but after a lot of research, I decided I didn't want to spend the $1000+ for power commanders and lap top software to get the air fuel mapping to work. Not that you can't figure that stuff out, it's just not that hard to jet a carb. And I've never had a carb screw up enough, that I couldn't fix it, and leave me stranded. If that FI screws up on you, you're walking.
  11. BigD_83

BigD_83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a lock pin to something, and looks pretty large, so it shouldn't be an internal part. Looks familiar, and similar to Part #8 in this diagram of a footpeg, but the base looks to be the wrong shape...

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/1994-suzuki-dr350se-footrest-assembly.html
  12. dav_dman

dav_dman old guy tryin' to stay young on a bike

Oddometer:

i made the mistake of disconnecting the airhose from the airbox to help get the carb out once.

Once.

Never touching that damn connection again.
  13. Ghostyman

Oddometer:
    Good call. It's not that, and it's not the lock pin for the rear braker lever to the master cylinder. It is the same dimensions as the lock pin for the rear brake but has a thicker base (and the base is shaped a bit different, as you noted). It also doesn't have any visible wear marks on it so it never got moved much.
  14. Spad

Spad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just had my clutch (well, the whole engine) apart on my 99SE and that part doesn't look like anything I came across. I didn't take off my footrests, but it does look like some kid of pivot pin that would get cottered. As for the clutch and engine, I spend a LOT of time looking at parts and part diagrams.

Now I just need a bit warmer weather to finish putting the bike back together and see if it runs and/or I fixed what was broke. If I find a part like yours on the workbench when I'm done, I'll let you know.

- Spad
  15. jplum1556

jplum1556 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had the clutch torn apart numerous times and that piece does not look familiar so i doubt it's an internal piece for the engine. The only part on the bike I've come across that looks like that is the lock pin for the brake lever but you already ruled that out.
  16. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    I've taken apart at least a dozen DR350's and don't remember seeing a pin like that.
  17. Chiknmunky

Chiknmunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That pin looks to me like it's from a bike with a brake drum. The one that holds the brake arm.
  18. Ghostyman

Oddometer:
    I think you are my hero. :clap

I've got a 1973 Honda XL100S in the garage and recently played around with the front drum brake while drunk. Hmmmm... :freaky
  19. heirhead

heirhead Worlds Worst Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Last night I told you how tough it was take carb, air box ect off and shim carb put it back together.
    Well today put on all of my gear as it was raining and rode to Oceanside and San Onofre Surf beach.
    It was beautiful as lots of surfers out and raining on a sandy trail, had to walk down as gate was closed.
    Felt like Patrick Swayze in Point Break. Bike ran perfect and I was dry. Came home, let bike cool and wanted to check plug. Taking plug out it got kind tight and I put a little more pressure on it. SNAPPED IT OFF !!!!!!!!

Worlds worst mechanic for sure, NOW WHAT????????????????

Heirhead
  20. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:
    By 'snapped it off' do you mean 'snapped it off in the block and I'm looking for a new bike'?