Modular helmet care, is this a curable thing?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by damasovi, Oct 22, 2013.

1. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    HI,

well I have a HJC CL-MAX helmet, it is a modular helmet, the age is starting to show, when I put it in the open position, as it shows in the picture:

[​IMG]

as soon as I move the thing comes down, so I end up having the flip half way down, so it is very useless since I am neither seeing thru or the thing is down.

So my questions are:
    1. Is this normal with age? I think I have at least 3 years and this is by far my main helmet, only during summer I wear a 3/4 helmet.
    2. Is this fixable using some screw drivers or something?

Thanks

Damasovi
  2. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had noticed the same thing with my HJC . . . . . my Nolans have not done this.

I never found a way to adjust my HJCs -- but, given how porrly rated their closure mechanism was rated when taking a tumble (or a blow from the heel of my hand, for that matter), I left them behind and purchased a Nolan.

If you are talking about thte thing closing while riding, I'm sure you know those things are not designed to work that way, so I'll not lecture on that topic.
  3. K777

K777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can tighten and adjust on the Symax 3, but not the CLMax. I have both and just took a look. The shield coming down was one of the reasons I upgraded to the Symax after years with the CL. I also like the 'sun screen' on the Symax that I can have down in slow city traffic without worrying about getting a ticket from NYPD.
  4. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    thank you guys

I see what else other people have to say

Damasovi
  5. Hambonee

Hambonee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HJC is not the safest modular..sound like age getting to it and should not do that...

I doubt they are meant to stay open when riding though unless they actually have a lock for that..some do..I think Nolans do for that matter.

Solution is a Nolan or Shoei modular...honestly...
  6. KoolBreeze

KoolBreeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ticket for no eye protection?
  7. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Did you figure it out? Remove cheek pads, only a snap and some velcro on each side holding that in place.

Then remove the pivot fasteners for the "thing" or they may just be loose. Then remove the "thing" and inspect the plastic cogs that hold up the "thing".
  8. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    H and everybody else, thank you, I finally got to do what some of you suggested and now it is as new!

Damasovi
  9. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Loose screw??? Talking about them, check the ones holding the shield mechanism frequently. Already had one fall off, shield went wonky. :eek1Took a little while in the rain and some creative use of small zipties to get going again.

I put new shield mechanisms on mine early this summer, just rechecked the screws, had a loose one again.:eek1
  10. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
    "They" say you shouldn't ride with them open; I don't know why other than the obvious reason of giving up your face protection in a fall. Might not be good for your neck to land on it wrong when open, either...
  11. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I've rideen with the front flipped open, mthe wind drag was very different that with the helmet buttoned up . . . . uncomfortably so . . . .this may be part of why "they"say this . . . .