BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. felix_gt

felix_gt step by step

Oddometer:
    Hello everybody.

I had the X since october and ... it's wonderful!!

I have the nuts from ktm. And yes, they where normal 27mm. And the price here in Spain is 2 dollars each one.
  2. Rayzor61

Rayzor61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone used KTM Black Cheapie handgards? No Alum inserts in them but good brush and chill protection. I use them on most every bike including my street fighter 1 ltr bikes. I wanta use them on the xmoto.

http://www.ktmtwins.com/950superenduro/6000207910030.html

They fit 1 1/8 fatty's and standard 7/8. (Adaptors for each). I just don't know if the BMW's controls/function controls will be in the way.
  3. Somber

Somber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. fronton

fronton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the 6 inch long black plastic cylinder just behind the seat lock???? Perhaps have something to do with ABS?? i see most bikes don't have it, my x country does. does anyone know? Can i remove it?
  5. ropedrag

ropedrag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. RockemRdr

RockemRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking it would be a good idea to keep a second pump in the garage so I wouldn't have to take the seat off to get the pump to add air to the rear air shock. That's until I saw this:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=507 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=ListPart style="BORDER-LEFT: #b0b0b0 1px solid">04 </TD><TD class=ListPart style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d3d3d3 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d3d3d3 1px solid">33537697026 </TD><TD class=ListPartNarrow style="BORDER-LEFT: #d3d3d3 1px solid" noWrap>air pump, gas-filled shock absorber </TD><TD class=AddToCart noWrap align=right>BUY </TD><TD class=ListPart style="BORDER-LEFT: #d3d3d3 1px solid" align=right>1 </TD><TD class=ListPart title="" style="BORDER-RIGHT: #b0b0b0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d3d3d3 1px solid" align=right>$174.42 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Even I'm not that lazy. :D
  7. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    F-that...at that price you can get a couple of Playboy bunnies to blow on it (the shock dude...:wink:...nautghy fawkers!)

:D
  8. felix_gt

felix_gt step by step

Oddometer:
    Better a bicycle front suspension bump, no more than 50$ and up to 10/12 bar (enought).

Regards.
  9. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can pick up a bicycle suspension pump for $25 easy or you could just triple the cost of that BMW POS pump and get an Ohlins. :lol3
    Kyle Racing is giving killer deals on Ohlins for the X right now. Ordered mine yesterday. I plan on usin that space under the seat to roll up my Playboy mag so I can see those bunnies on the road. :D
  10. RV8Pilot

RV8Pilot Blue,Green,Blue,Gree..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you know which model # fits the X-Challenge? Have you had experience with Kyle Racing as far as setting the shock up for you personally?

I'm also looking to ditch that bitch of an air shock but I want a shop that is going to work with me on what I am looking for as far as performance from the shock and not just a good price. I feel good setup is worth a few extra bucks.
  11. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
    RV8, Dan spent 30 min or longer on the phone with me yesterday regarding rear setup and front fine tuning (new springs). I'm fortunate that Ohlins is in NC, so I can run up to the factory anytime I need to. That being said, I've been an Ohlins man forever. Running them on the
    R12S as well.
    Break
    DockingPilot gave me your contact info. I'll be calling you soon for the gouge on the X Challenge TAT setup. Ride Safe!
  12. Rayzor61

Rayzor61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sprung for the KTM Hard parts Hand Guards, got the 15t counter sprocket, ordering the belly pan. All I need is input on the aftermarket exhaust. I really don't wanta spend the cash but I like a louder exhaust note. Has anybody researched the power gain on a Leo, Remus, or Ackrapovac, if any. I know I'll lose weight and heat but is it worth the investment? Is there really any poer gain? And finally, does the bike need remapping?
  13. ropedrag

ropedrag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282159

my opnion in a nutshell

Remus is the loudest but likely the most performance gains.

Ackrapovac, the sweetest looking but no real dyno gains and ungodly expensive.

Leo, the middle ground in performance, looks and price. I just ordered one from motostrano.com as they are also on sale!
  14. TimCz

TimCz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all - did a bit of a search but couldnt find an answer to what im looking for... looking at a few bikes for a bit of a trip around australia and the xchallenge seems like a possible option with a TT tank. However, premium fuel is a bit of a luxury if you can find it in the australian outback.

So my question really is, can the bike be run with 91 fuel and an octane booster? and have people done somethign similar with the x challenge in other countries with limited fuel?
  15. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    If you are interested in some more power, do not forget to remove the inner airbox cover. Quite a difference especially low down.

And you mention you ordered a 15 tooth front sprocket. I take it you either have the Xcountry or the Xmoto, for on the XChallenge 15 tooth is stock (and the XChallenge really loves a 14 tooth btw).
  16. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine runs just fine on 87 octane here in California with all of the extra crap they put in the gas.
  17. mcgiggle

mcgiggle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    87 octane................ that must nearly be drinkable, I can get 102 at my local BP ( Aston Martin is across the road from me and the fuel station about 500 metres ):clap
  18. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When we have the awful "summer blends" here, the stuff is blue and doesn't evaporate. Too many environmentalists screwing things up!
  19. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Don't mix MON with RON octane numbers. :wink:
  20. Somber

Somber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Max - did you try just going to the Uni-filter and leaving the airbox cover in place, or did you just do both at the same time to feel the "down low" power increase?

I yanked the cover and swapped the BMW paper filter for the Uni-filter foam one and put the bike back together. I noticed a "seat of the pants" difference in the bike that is like you said most noticeable at the lower RPMs. I then read a couple different posts scattered around the interweb claiming that opening up the intake that fully was actually hurting the torque at low RPMs.

So I figured no better way to find out than to try it myself. So I left the Uni in and put the cover back on the bike. I can certainly tell the difference in noise the bike makes, especially straight up above the airbox, but I'm having a hard time feeling a difference between cover on and cover off with the Uni-filter.

Now, there were some pretty big temperature swings which perhaps masked the differences, but I was just curious to know if you tried it half way or if you've always had the cover off since shifting filters...