smallest cruising(55 mph) scooter for GF

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by scottorious, Sep 12, 2012.

1. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bought a new 2012 Zuma 125. I don't know about top speed, but it should be around 60 mph. I only have 12 miles on it so far, I will find out soon enough. I bought Japanese because I traded a crotch rocket in on it (probably saved my life). But the Agility 125 is just as good, cheaper, just not quite a fancy looking. If money were a major issue, I would have no problem at all buying a Kymco scooter. They are NOT typical Chinese JUNK. I saw a video where an Agility 125 ran off and left a Vino 125, and I know a Vino 125 will do 55, and that is with my 220 pounds on it.

One thing to remember about these small scooters that top out at 55-60 on flat roads with no wind. Just the slightest headwind or an uphill grade that you can't even see can slow them down considerably. Nevertheless, I have put over 2000 miles on my Vino 125 on the freeway without problems, even though it is technically illegal.
  2. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying Supporter

Oddometer:
    Assuming she's physically comfortable on this (inseam etc play a part) I can verifiability say that this can cart someone around all day on back roads at back-road speeds. The big wheels help with the occasional pothole, or squirrel. It can run freeway speeds reliably. I have done it. I didn't like it on the freeway vs. my Burgman, I found it a bit light.

You can find them relatively cheap used if you poke around.

It's ceramic cylindered & water cooled. My wife uses the 2k8 model. Carburated & drum brakes in rear.
    Overall reviews are all about the same. Engine is excellent. Suspension is a scooter (aka aftermarket tweaking can improve. The brakes are "OK". I gather the brakes improve if you put on aftermarket pads. (EBC, fits same as the people 150) This is on the list for this winter.
  3. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Super 8 150 tops out at around 65 on the speedo, so around 60 actual speed. Head winds and hills have little effect unless they are pretty steep. It's less effected by hills than my Sport City 250.
  4. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, Kymco is a Tiwanese not a People's Republic of China scoot. They acutally do have quality control, so much so that they are making the parts of the new BMW scooter and have also made parts for Honda. PGO is another good Tiwanese brand which manufactures the Buddy and some of the other Genuine Scooter models (Genuine is a US based company that works with PGO on scooters for the US market - as several have mentioned Buddies are extremely reliable.) Sym is a good Korean scoot. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a scooter from any of those brands but I won't buy an LML or one of the mainland produced Chinese scoots.
  5. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    FYI- SYM is a Taiwanese company. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYM_Motors
  6. lifer

lifer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The agility and super 8 and a few other Kymcos are made in main land china. The rest are made in Taiwan.
  7. hexnut

hexnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But they are made in Kymco's factory in mainland china with kymco's quality control in place. Also the engines are made in Taiwan with other parts and shipped to China for assembly from what I am told.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawisaki, and Piaggio seems to do well with their mainland China factories also.
  8. Warney

Warney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Piaggio does "well" with their mainland Chinese factories and suppliers? What about the faulty Chinese Fuel Pumps used on Vespa, Aprilia, and other Piaggio products.:huh
  9. hexnut

hexnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't own a Piaggio product so don't know where the fuel pumps were made. They did a recall and replaced them free of charge. And they still love their Vespas over on Modern Vespa.

My Kymco S250 was made in Taiwan and runs great. It has never given me any trouble.
  10. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    The '09 Zuma 125 had the same fuel pump issue, which, as far as I know, has been fixed. I never knew exactly what the problem was. I do know that defective parts can be made in all countries, including the U.S. You will not likely find any Asian scooter, including Japanese, that is of superior quality to Kymco.
  11. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    How about this thing?

[​IMG]

Not sure if it's available there, but the Kymco Like 200 with FI will return
    better MPG figures then the already amazing Agility 125, and be a bit faster
    too. Chix love the way it looks. Usually.

My GF hates it.
    I love it.
    :huh

It's actually 163cc, around 12hp, and I believe it's rated for 68mph
    top speed.