unlock files

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by BKMLWR, May 31, 2012.

1. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    where are the unlock files for City Navigator? setting up a new computer and "retrieve unlocks" from garmin website says not able to download to computer
    so I'd like to get them off the old computer
  2. BKMLWR

Oddometer:
    found the file....
  3. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    If you share where you found them perhaps someone in the future won't have to ask the same question again...
  4. BKMLWR

Oddometer:
    it depends on what system you are on xp or win7. I just did a search for *.ucx and include hidden files
    win7 had it in c:\user\my name\appdata\roaming\garmin\maps\UnlockCodes.ucx

xp was this way-
    C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Application Data\GARMIN\Maps
  5. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  6. 1200gsceej

1200gsceej wanabee overachiever

Oddometer:
    I have my CN NA map loaded on my Desktop where I did all my MapSource work w/o having to connect my GPS.
    Now I have a new laptop. I'd like to also be able to use MapSource there. So do you know if I can just download/install the maps there and have them on two computers?
    I have not tried yet; thought I'd ask first in case there are some side effects that I might want to consider.
    Thanks,
    -ceej
  7. BKMLWR

Oddometer:

yes, if you have the original DVD. I have CN on desktop, laptop and now a netbook.
    Net book did not have a DVD reader so I copied the disk to desktop computer and then copied to big flash drive.
    Then installed from flash drive to netbook. That is when I needed to get the unlock code file and copy to netbook
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the way I operate, i.e., Mapsource on both my desktop and on the notebook I take on trips.

It's been well over a year, but I think I reinstalled all my maps kind of from scratch from my CD's onto the Notebook.

Since my Notebook did not have a CD drive I had to copy the CDs to the desktop and then send them to the notebook via a local network transfer. I tried putting the CDs onto a thumb drive, but it didn't work for some reason.

I was worried about the time order of things. My Topos are over 10 years old and my CN is only a few years old. I was afraid the older Topo installation wouldn't work with a new version of Mapsource already there. But this wasn't a problem. Once I had them installed I downloaded the latest version of Mapsource from Garmin and installed it over the top of the one created by the map installs.