Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. viper770

viper770 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pure sex well i dont know about that only if it was dripping wet then it be pure sex :evil
  2. Reeksy

Reeksy high state of hiatus

Oddometer:
    I'm fortunate to live very close to an auto cable manufacturer. He'll make me any type of cable I like and indeed he told me to never lube his cables as they don't need it.
  3. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Although the cable and sheath don't need to be lubed on modern cables, the pivot point at the lever/cable connection does. I could be wrong, (I was once before) but when cables fail on the end like BluePill's did, it is caused from the cable not pivoting smoothly in the lever hole, thus bending the cable back and forth. When cables do this they rarely give warning or work hard. They just fatigue and break. A drop of oil or chain lube on the pivot every time you lube the chain will prevent this from happening. IMHO
  4. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a D606 rear in the mail today to replace the stock Trailwing. Is there any reason I can't swap this out myself? I see this as a dry run for fixing a flat.
  5. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Easier to learn how to do it when you're at home and aren't rushed vs being on the road/trail. The first half dozen or so times will take a bit but once you develop a technique it is fast and easy to change a tire.
  6. Reeksy

Reeksy high state of hiatus

Oddometer:

IIRC Yamaha specify lithium grease on the pivot point (and pegs, sidestand, etc)
  7. MingRidesBikes

MingRidesBikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the complement! Those holes were a pain in the ass to cut! hahaha, but yes I wanted to keep the frame sliders as well as have a skid plate. :D
  8. rhollamby

rhollamby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm about to do this for the first time. Lots of good videos on youtube to check out on changing the tire/tube. Not to bad with the right spoons.

Does anyone have pointers on balancing the tire without a machine? I have rim locks, and going on mt-43's. with the locks I know I will need weight. Most all of the advice/videos show using static balancer stands (which I don't have).

A bunch of ppl mention to set the heavy spot of the tire to a specific place. I don't see where this place is marked on the tire. tips?

Thanks
    Ryan
  9. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    I recently put on a 606 for the first time and it was a real PITA. Not sure if it was the tire or that bike (KTM 450 EXC). Never had problems putting other tires (Kenda/Shinko) on the WR. Warming up the tire in the sun or next to some heat sure helps. Keep the opposite bead in the groove is a must. Good skill to have.
  10. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    My experience with the D606 is that it is one of the tougher tires to mount but once it is on it is one of the better DOT tires for Dual Sport riding especially if you are spending most of the time off road.

Check out some of the YouTube videos and take your time. Tire lube or soapy water is a plus and will make mounting that tire so much easier. If you get to the point that you think you are going to bend a spoon or rim take a step back, have a beer, and reassess what you have going on. It is likely you don't have that first bead in the center of the tire or possibly a little too much air in the tube.

One thing I learned was the amount of lube is not as important as where you put the lube. When you are seating that second bead the lube really needs to be on the back side of the bead where it rubs against the rim. I see a lot of people lubing the outside of the bead but when you are mounting the tire that is not the part that is rubbing against the rim. Took me a few beers to figure that one out! :freaky
  11. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    No point in balancing an off road oriented tire, IMO.
  12. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    Balancing is a piece of cake. Use the axle and 2 jackstands. Spin the tire and add weight to the opposite side of the heavy spot. Use sticky weights.
  13. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    I'd disagree, especially if you're running rim locks. The last one I balanced took 5 ounces in the front. Before I balanced it, it would rip the bars out of your hands over 40mph.
  14. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    Ditto that. Maybe a strictly dirt bike but dualsport, you need to balance it.

I put a standard rimlock on my front (that's right, ripped the stem out of the front), and the damn thing was like nearly 6oz wieghted on the rimlock side!
    I tossed that idea...

Going with the Motion Pro Lite rimlocks, only 2+oz...

Best investment for balancing I've spent is the Marc Parnes balancer.
  15. Red Sand

Red Sand Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Awesome tip - thanks!

16. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Me on one of 3 WR250R's I saw at the Hanging Rock 200 DS ride. I'm not sure who the other guys were on the WRR's.

[​IMG]
  17. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did a thread on mounting and balancing tires on my 1150GS that might help. They are tubeless tires, though, so changing tubed tires will add an additional element of fun to this exercise. It isn't hard, really, just have to be careful and use the proper technique. Yes, you need to know how to do this.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148614

Doug
  18. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those that are pro-balancing, where are the weights on the stock rims? I don't see any.
  19. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read every post in Neduro's Tire Changing Class thread before doing my first tire change:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50717

These Motion Pro levers are the best irons I have tried:

[​IMG]

The best tire-changing advice I gleaned from the thread was:

1) keep the far side bead down in the well of the rim
    2) warm the tire in the sun (put it inside a closed car in the sun, if the air temps are low)
    3) use 3 tire irons
    4) if you are using so much force that you are afraid you'll damage something, stop and regroup before you do damage something
  20. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm done. It took about 90 minutes. In reality, it wasn't much harder than doing bicycle tires. The tools and techniques are the same.

I got 3300 miles out of the stock tire. Before and after:

[​IMG]

Using the other tire as a work surface made it easy:

[​IMG]

A floor jack helped to hold the tire and lift it back into place:

[​IMG]