My 60csx failed me on my trip...waa, waa,waa

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by HOFNAR, Feb 23, 2013.

1. HOFNAR

HOFNAR Nobody panic. Let’s all clam down.

Oddometer:
    I just came back from a Death Valley and Joshua Tree trip and halfway through our ride, my 60csx crapped out on us. I bought the unit used from an inmate and thought it might be "user error", but it worked for the first couple of days flawlessly, then decided it didn't want to play anymore:cry
    The problem specifically is when I go to "Saved Routes" and try to navigate I get the following message: "Route Calculation Error: No roads near destination." I tried it on the route that we used the first couple of days when the unit was working fine and I got the same message. I thought I would be slick and use the "Find" button, but lo and behold the "Find by Address" icon was not to be found:huh
    This happen to anyone else? If so, any advice on what to check? It's my first gps unit and Im keeping my fingers crossed that I'm the problem and not the unit.
  2. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My first thought is that the GPS doesn't think any maps are installed. The "No roads near destination" is the best clue, I think. Did you not download a map for that area, by chance? Maybe the memory card failed.

Try pulling the memory card and putting it in a PC. You should see a Garmin folder and a big .img file in that folder. If not, that's the issue. Of course, if the card doesn't work at all then that's the problem.

Good luck.
  3. HOFNAR

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick response Phil.
  4. HOFNAR

Oddometer:
    I did as you suggested regarding pulling the memory card and what do I find? The memory card slot worked it's way open from vibration and the memory card was wedged behind the batteries!:eek1
    Put the card back in the slot, and presto, I'm back in business. Turns out I WAS the problem. Haha
    Thanks again, Phil.
  5. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    A well placed piece of electrical tape will keep the card lock mechanism from moving.
  6. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this one more of the small deficiences of the 60? The 76 snaps in and I don't thinik it will just vibrate out, you have to push it in then it pops out.
  7. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The place the memory card fits in a 60 is a bit fiddly, IMO. You slide the metal cover forward, lift it open, place microSD card in position, close the cover and slide it back to lock in the card. It usually takes a couple of attempts when you first get the unit to get the hang of it. It isn't always real obvious when the card isn't seated just right. I have never heard of one coming loose before this. Of course, if it isn't seated, the maps don't work.

I agree, the 76 is better in this regard. Also, the RAM mount is more secure, I think.
  8. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    No, the 60 and 76 have totally different card systems. The card fits into the body on the 76, held in by a kind of spring mechanism, but the 60 has a little metal flap to hold it in. As I mentioned, a piece of electrical tape can hold the flap in place so it doesn't unlatch and let the card fall out.

This is the mechanism in my Montana - it's virtually identical to the 60's card holder.

[​IMG]
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    okay,
    Vunerable antenna
    Pops out of RAM mount
    Buttons are small
    Memory card pops out

Why do people buy these things, the 76 is so much better?

Then for the greate upgrade they remove the 12V input in the 62 and people buy those?
  10. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My one complaint about the 76 is that the buttons are above the screen. Often, your hand or arm blocks the screen as you are using it. Minor, but the 60 buttons are better. Just me.

I think the biggest issue is the RAM mount for the 60. The top piece of the mount breaks off a lot. The 76 RAM mount is excellent.

Screen is too small on both.
  11. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    The bottom line...

That's why my 62S is now my handheld unit and I have a Montana on the bikes.
  12. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heh. Great minds...
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't say that the memory card system on the 60/62/Montana is inferior to the 76's slot load. In fact, I think being able to see the parts of the system is an advantage. No tiny spring inside the box to fail at the worst possible time. The flaw with the clip system can be fixed with a piece of tape.

And the 76/78 series is designed upside down. :lol3
  14. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    The other big advantage the 62/78 has is the onboard 1.7 gigabytes of storage space. The 60/76 has zilch.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
  15. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Never had a problem with any of those.

That's why people buy these things.

I like mine a lot.
  16. Farmer1

Farmer1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here and there, but usually, leaving Illinois
    If you want a bomb proof mount for your Garmin 60 /62 and some others. http://bustedcompass.com/Starving_Buzzards.php scroll down the page a bit for photo's.

Stovebolt is a inmate and rider and standup guy, who got tired of his gps being launched off the bike, so he built his own cradle.

I have one, your GPS is only leaving if you remove it or a semi hits you about the top of your triple tree!!

And no I get nothing for telling you of this.

Jailor8
  17. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    His cradles look solid but the one for the Montana has a fatal flaw, IMHO: it forces you to use the usb power source. There is NO WAY I am ever going back to that. It's too bad he didn't incorporate the Garmin Rugged Mount into his model. I bet it would sell a lot faster if he had.
  18. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I've seen 2 of the 60's break the antena's. One of the main reasons I went with the 76 instead.
  19. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    What Albie said. I have had a couple of friends break theirs too.

Like anything, some people can be given two steel balls placed in a locked closet for an hour and when you let them out they'll have broken one steel ball and will have lost the other. Just sayin
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Defective Users, they're called. :lol3

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk