Tracker Build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Tracker7, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Tracker7

Tracker7 n00b

Oddometer:
    I am in the early stages of planning a Tracker build. It helps pass the time and keep my brain occupied while I take care of business half way around the world from home in a high, dry, landlocked place that time has forgotten.

I won't call it a Street Tracker because I expect much more than that out of it. I picture one bike that does it all. From slamming canyons, to commuting, riding backcountry fire roads, a little off-road in the desert or two-up day touring with someone special.

I focused on the following priorities in choosing a base motor. It must be a twin, between 600cc and 900cc, with readily available parts, have a broad strong power band, be capable of 70HP or more with a little work, be relatively lightweight, have a good track record of reliability and not be crazy expensive.

To this point I am looking closely at the Aprilia 750, BMW 800, Suzuki SV650 and the venerable Yamaha XS650. None are perfect, but I think all could do the job well. I'm very interested in feedback.
  2. clevishook

clevishook stevedore

Oddometer:
    check out the "Some assembly required" thread (above) project with a Ninja 650 engine into a Versey frame. Could be adapted to tracker format.
  3. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    Of course the OP hasn't specified what kind of tracker he is referring too....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and so on and so forth....
  4. pregrid

pregrid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you're interested check out my XS650 build here:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7059

I wouldn't call it a canyon carver but ut's a blast to ride. If nothing else it might give you some ideas or answer some questions if you go that direction.

Dave
  5. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Depending on how much building you want to do, the Ninja 650R or the naked ER-6N are modern, 70hp parallel twins. You could put the quasi-aggressive Avon Distanzias and a different headlight and tail on it and call it good.

Lose the radiator cowl, put on rearsets and ditch the heavy passenger supports, and get one of the race-plastic ninja 650r solo rear seats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    FUCKER!!!!!

Just read your thread top to bottom. I was doing fine until I saw this:

[​IMG]

I have a pair of Daytona Specials that I've had for about ten years and not done much with, other than keep running. I have a real nice one with 3,000 miles on it, and a less-than-perfect one with DG heads like pictured that may just get sacrificed on the altar of Omar-Tracker-ness.

Sweet build, BTW. You're an inspiration to us all. :thumb.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about a Hawk.

Have JD Hord build a motor. The HP level you're looking at would be easy and reliable. Single-sided swingarm. Of course, if you're wanting spokes, this may not work.

More inspiration here.

:eek1 Is that a Kawi promo bike?
  8. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep. They've done well in their WERA class in previous years, I think they are showing off some pieces that fit on the new model (new frame for '12).
  9. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    That was exactly my requirement 4 years ago, apart from the HP part...I'd take just whatever power the engine could give, stock or modified. I found an airhead Mono the best candidate. some may question the R65, but the build was required to do lots of gravel roads, and in my experience power is wasted in wheelspin - a lower powered bike hooks up better and goes faster. Anyway, the R65 is down 2hp on an R80. I have small panniers for it, and can convert to stock with BMW panniers in 30 minutes, a real dual sport. My wife likes it too....it was her bike to start with.

[​IMG]
    smolt likes this.
  10. Tracker7

Tracker7 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the idea and comments. I appreciate it. looks like a rock solid bike. Do you have to worry at all about rock damage?
  11. Tracker7

Tracker7 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll check out JD Hord.
  12. Tracker7

Tracker7 n00b

Oddometer:
    Are you familiar with Lazer racing in San Leandro? One of my biggest concerns is to keep this bike down to about 325# dry, so I may have to go with a racing frame. Also prefer a mono shock or high end dual shocks to the more vintage short travel standard frame. Thanks for the help.
  13. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I didn't really build it to go off road, and gravel is fine. Off road has just been mud or grass...the one time I took it on a road with large rocks none hit anything.