2013 Husqvarna 650 Terra

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by grunkster, Sep 11, 2012.

1. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I understand completely. I purchased an XT1200z 1 1/2 years ago to get a more, better, faster KLR. It was great both on and off road. The only drawback was the amount of effort I put into it off road just wasn't fun anymore. My KLR on the other hand isn't a lot of fun on road. I took a TR650 for a test ride and after an afternoon with it I knew it would fill that space of being good enough off and on road. Picking it up this Saturday.:clap
  2. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    That sucks because without luggage this bike won't work for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Their web site also shows a center stand

[​IMG]

footrest kit

[​IMG]

engine guard

[​IMG]

crash bar (note the tool box on the front of the engine guard)

[​IMG]

Hand guard kit (rebadged Bark Busters by the looks of things)

[​IMG]

luggage rack

[​IMG]

as well as several types pf panniers

[​IMG]
  4. njoytheride

njoytheride NJOYN' THE JOURNEY Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had good luck with SW-MOTECH parts. I will be saving up for the engine guard and some type of luggage system. The Caribou's on my Beemer have servred me well (tested) for almost four years.
    I want to make sure I don't mess up the balance and handling with the farkels. I went out today and can say with confidence that this is the best dual sport bike on the market. The more I ride it the more I like it.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Caribou has cases (Pelican and others) pre-built with adapters to fit Motech racks. http://cariboucases.corecommerce.co...Luggage-Pannier-Kits-for-SW-Motech-EVO-Racks/ These have integrated locks and lid straps.

I've used Caribou's (Pelican cases) and the rest of your bike will break in 1/2 before those are broken. That's why the military uses them.

Caribou's complete bike packages (racks and cases) utilize Hepco-Becker racks for the most part, so when & if they are released you'll see a full package available from them.

The also do Givi compatible cases if Givi makes racks plus they offer Cases w/o adapters if Happy Trails does racks (you use HT case mounts). If Wolfman does racks you can also hard bolt Caribou's to those.

Touratech has said they will have their specific racks in march if you want to use their cases.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    That's a very well coveraged skid plate from Motech.
    Appears to be a tool box mounted to the front of it in that 1 pic?
  7. byron555

byron555 Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well I have not been following much... the bikes that shouldn't be discontinued are the terra and its variants. these bikes do not threaten ktm in the least...

The traditional line of Huskies do, High performance dirt/dualsports do. BMW created bikes for husky that directly compete with their line of thumpers at a lower price than a bmw? A question for the ages. The Terra has more power than the Seratao and is cheaper? Makes no sense, other than to sell the brand. That was probably BMW's plan in the first place... they are no dummies at BMW... If the ktm affiliates are allowed to produce the Terra and its variants as designed, it will be a good buy for ktm. These bikes have a future in the market.
  8. William42

William42 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree on the quality and fit of SW-Motech products. I plan on buying this engine guard when it becomes available.
  9. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:
    Does that say 'Honda'?

On 2nd look, thats not even a Terra.

Wth?
  10. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:
    864.95 Euro equals
    1139.31 US Dollar

That's without shipping... $1500 for panniers?

I can make my own.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because it's a stock photo just like many manufacturers use. They are advertising the hand guards not the bike.

Check ALL the prices. These are pre production photos and the prices shown are stupidly high because the final sales prices has not been established yet.
  12. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    I thought the same thing when I saw it.
  13. Idle

Idle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know, it's kinda random but anyway...

Was messing around on the interweb with the tv on. I'd left it running after the news this morning. Let's make a deal was on and I heard....................
    "A BRAND NEW DIRT BIKE!"

Looked up and it was a Terra, behind door number 2. Thought it was pretty cool...

The girl was way more exited about the $3,000 led tv ultimately.
  14. spjinseattle

spjinseattle Strom and DR Rider

Oddometer:
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The story is more likely to refer to the Nuda than the Terra despite what the journalist wrote. There is no question that the Nuda is finished.
  16. Chris 690R

Chris 690R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My dealer confirms the Nuda is a complete flop. Terra is not a road bike. Suspect Terra will remain as entry level DS bike with KTM as the high end. KTM now control both markets. Very common business strategy.
  17. TheBikingEngineer

TheBikingEngineer n00b

Oddometer:
    I got mine last Saturday and I'm loving it so far. Haven't taken it off road yet but with all these mountains around here it's only a matter of time.
  18. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Motorbike Times are full of it. They are way behind the info curve here.
    go back, read all the news stories, read Pierer's quotes directly. The Nuda will go ... but NO mention of the Terra. The article makes several other gross errors. They are not a reliable source.
  19. trapperj

trapperj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    About a week after I bought my TR I read about the change. I am so glad I didn't find out before because I may have balked and not purchased this wonderful bike. I smile every time I get on it. I've owned a bunch of singles and none of them have worked better for my needs than this one.

I am not worried about support from Husky/KTM/BMW or whoever. The past several bikes I've purchased new I have avoided the dealer whenever possible anyway. A bunch of these bikes have been sold so the aftermarket will step up..(already are) with farkles. This bike was relatively inexpensive. I've wasted more $ on bad beer pizza over the years. Not a gamble in my eyes. Glad to own it. YMMV.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    he's talked about dropping the nuda the whole time and keeping the terra on (for a few years) as of late. the bmw engine will more than likely drop out however with another shoe horned in. this article is interpreting his words as dumping the terra too however.

guess we'll see. either was it's gonna be a classic & potentially sought after bike like the 630 is.

as far a future 650 Husky, I see that as a 690 but built at a lower (component) price point. KTM wants to compete in the 650 class (& the 690 is $$$). They will using the same base-platform several-model method that VW is all about. Husky will be the working man's KTM.

I expect all future KTMs, Bergs and Husky to use the same frames & motors, but Berg will get all the top shelf & new technology equipment, KTM will get all the quality parts and Husky will get all the solid yet more affordable parts.