Excursions pour la Journee avec Gaston

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Gaston Gagne, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    I was nearly sorry for my overestimation of the amount of life my front tire had. Obi Won appeared to me and told me to go to the Degobah system. There, I will seek Yoda. Lucky met me at 181 at 730 and we were off. We froze our tailfeathers off on the way up to NC 105 pass over Grandfather.

Let's see, do I have any more clothes in here?

[​IMG]

We did Old 421 and new 421 over through Shady Valley. Lucky split off at the North Fork of the Holston. Maybe he'll chime in with what happens out that way.

[​IMG]

I rode 5 3/4 hours to get to here. This is the south end of a 48 mile run on the crest of Pine Mountain. It starts off as a nasty, broken up blacktop road. At a certain point, it turns to washed out gravel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At KY 160, it turns to pavement and is a fun roller coaster ride through a mature hardwood forest.

[​IMG]

It dumps you out on US 119.

[​IMG]

I dropped off the Cumberland side, and continued northeast along the bottom of the mountain. I had to cross the divide between the Cumberland and the South Fork of the Pound. Before I crossed 23, I made a wrong turn which afforded me this view of Pine Mountain.

To the north

[​IMG]

To the south

[​IMG]

I continued following the Pound toward Flanagan reservoir. All of the roads are pavement bliss. I met up with Layla in Elkhorn City. We went out to dinner and racked out.

[​IMG]

I didn't get such an early start. We had breakfast at the Rusty Fork.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The road off to the left is now my favorite road anywhere.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ridge that forms the WV/VA line is like an airplane ride.

[​IMG]

My fifth state in two days.

[​IMG]

Down through Bandy and Baptist Valley, Rourke's Valley, and on into Frog Level.

[​IMG]

16 into Troutdale, up Fox Creek and over to Konnarock. Grayson Highlands was about peak for the foliage. Very pretty.

[​IMG]

Going up 421 out of Mountain City.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My tire made it. At the end, I was stopping every 10 miles or so to inspect it. New tires coming this week.
  2. Lucky Intervale

Lucky Intervale Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It took us 20 or so miles and 2000 or so vertical feet before we saw the great heattab in the sky...

Attached Files:

3. Lucky Intervale

Oddometer:
    I was mightily impressed to see Gaston in cotton pants since it was only 42 when I left the crib...

Attached Files:

4. Lucky Intervale

Oddometer:
    By this point it was in the 30's... I opted for the full space suit, but was wishing I'd put the quilted pant liners in at this point! Don't let that sun fool ya... it was c-c-c-cold!

Attached Files:

5. Lucky Intervale

Oddometer:
    After some coffee and an as-always awesome shred through the sssssnake, we successfully avoided attracting TN's finest and had a nice ride up 421 through the color... it did warm up, but not enough to make us bust out the t-shirts!

Attached Files:

6. Lucky Intervale

Oddometer:
    mmm mmm....

Attached Files:

7. Lucky Intervale

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry, did you say something? I had Wilco music running through my head... Big Laurel is schweeet....

Attached Files:

8. Lucky Intervale

Oddometer:
    Seeing the rest of Gaston's pics makes me really REALLY hate that I had to turn back... ain't nuthin' good about having to do w.. w... work on a Sunday:dog

Attached Files:

9. Lucky Intervale

Oddometer:
    But if you have to go home, at least it was an awesome day to do it... Big ups to GG again for a great ride!

Attached Files:

10. Lucky Intervale

Oddometer:
    315 miles on a Saturday ain't a bad days work... did someone mention new skins? Got some Michelins comin'!!!

PEACE

Attached Files:

11. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Brown Mountain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Trip to Madison County! :clap :freaky:norton

Got out of school and strapped down. I had a car free run up 226A. I got behind a slow truck on Windy Gap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was it for photos for Friday. I went down to Marshall for beer and a sandwich. Then I headed up toward Hot Springs.

Saturday morning

[​IMG]

Nice scenery in these parts.

[​IMG]

KTMike took us a twisty tour. I didn't see much of him as I was bringing up the rear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had an extended tour of Marshall looking for lunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After lunch, the pace quickened a little bit. We got a good clean run of 63. Super nice roads out there.

[​IMG]

We were back at Rally HQ before 4. The temptation to go for a short spin before dinner wore off pretty quick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gumbeaux

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went down pretty early. After breakfast, knybanjo, robble, and I headed back to the Catawba Valley.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NC 197, do it every chance you get.

[​IMG]
  13. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Layla headed out to the Cheoah super early on Saturday. She and her group were going to run the Cheoah and then head over to Clayton, GA to stay over at a motel for a run of the Tallulah on Sunday. Destination: Clayton.

I did a bunch of chores in the morning, so I had to make up a little time by blasting over 40, but only over to Old Fort.

[​IMG]

The first real twisties of the trip was Bat Cave Road. NC 9 to US 64 to Slickrock to Grants Mountain to St Paul back to 64 and Hendersonville. I wended my way over to Pisgah Forest and Brevard.

NC 215, I do it every chace I get. I was having so much fun, I blew off the Charlies Creek turn and went all the way to the top.

[​IMG]

Back down to Charlies Creek and then over Wolf Mountain to Horshoe Rock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went down 281 to Cullowhee and then over the hill to Ellijay Road.

[​IMG]

Then I went up the Cullasaja Gorge to Highlands

[​IMG]

and then down 28 :clap to Warwoman Road.

[​IMG]

The white road surface in Georgia is toppers.

[​IMG]

Layla's and my arrival times were remarkably close. She and her friends had had a stomping day on the Cheoah. We went to Mama G's for delicious Italian and then called it a night.
  14. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Sunday we got up and hit breakfast. It didn't get so cold out, so I was itching to get going because I had a big agenda.

Things get interesting before you're really out of Clayton.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blue Ridge Gap is a great road. I worked my way over to Plum Orchard and Popcorn.

[​IMG]

The leaves are still really nice in this neck of the woods.

[​IMG]

I had hoped to make a run up to Brasstown Bald, but I was in a squeeze for time. About 20 years ago, I used to run around this area with my Sabre. I wanted to see if the roads were as good as I remembered.

More white aggregate material. It's sparkly, too.

[​IMG]

Make time for this highway. It's worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I looped back into Clayton. It was 12:00. Boy, I'm late. I did another run over Warwoman and up 28. Then Horse Cove Road out of Highlands. Fun road! It's like it was made to be a Versys proving grounds.

Bull Pen road is awesome.

[​IMG]

You could go kayaking or canoeing here, but it would take an act of the federal government.

[​IMG]

I ran down 107 into South Carolina and then up to Whitewater Falls.

[​IMG]

NC 281 goes right up there with the best of them. Then over Charlie Creek and up 215 to the Parkway. Then down 276 to Pisgah Forest.

[​IMG]

I then slabbed it home and made it before dark. Layla called. One of her party had an unfortunate incident at The Thing and broke a rib and maybe punctured a lung. They had to go back into Tallulah Gorge to hump his boat out and then run his car to the hospital. No punctured lung, so he was being released. He's going to have a shiner from smacking his face off of the rock as well. Ouch! Heal quickly.

This trip put the point under the exclamation mark about the necessity to visit Rabun, Towns, White counties more frequently. Someday, I'll make it to Suches.

Thanks for looking!
  15. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Got out of work early today. It was still warm when we left, but we were freezing at the Parkway.

226A

[​IMG]

Chestoa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    It was just barely over the freezing mark when I took off this morning, but it warmed up rather quickly.

[​IMG]

I have been riding 226A so much lately that it's getting boring. Time for a change of pace.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought I recognized this fellow as I rolled by.

[​IMG]

I made the appointment time. We took off over Grapevine, Big Laurel, Revere, and Lonesome Mountain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pace was brisk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We worked our way up 208 and 212 and then went back into Big Laurel. We rode over the Old 23. I had never been on the old two lane on the Tennessee side. Cool road. I had never been on 19W back into Ramseytown either. Gotta go back and scout those falls on Spivey Creek.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got us lost trying to get down to Barnardsville to go after the Appalachian tag.

[​IMG]

After running around for a half hour, I decided to bag it and head into Burnsville for home. 80 --> Seven Mile Ridge --> Crabtree

[​IMG]

Even though I am getting tired of riding 226A, I took it down into the valley and then around the back of Lake James.

[​IMG]

Nice day. Thanks for the ride
  17. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
  18. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    What to do with a 70 degree day in November? Today's trip involved three trips to Burnsville and four into Tennessee. I've been finding myself in Burnsville a lot lately. It's not a bad commute.

[​IMG]

I found my way through Paint Fork to get to Mars Hill's Ingles more or less on time.

NC 197? Not again.

[​IMG]

But first, a quick side trip. :eek1 :eek1 Note the slalom gates.

[​IMG]

Back on it.

[​IMG]

After lunch, we headed to Carver's Gap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had I excercised good judgement, I would have split from the group at this point. :deal Instead, I was enticed by the description of the forthcoming ride.

We headed down into Roan Mtn, TN and then zigzagged across the NC/TN border several times. One of my hobbies is finding new ways to cross the line, and I added several today.

On the way to the Beauty Spot.

[​IMG]

OK, now I really have to go. It's after 4, and I'm pretty far from home. Thanks for the awesome ride. It was an uneventful day, that is, full of unevents. :clap

[​IMG]

No more photos because I blasted home to optimize every bit of daylight. I got an end to end run of NC 80 from Loafer's Glory to Marion.
  19. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down

Oddometer:
    Quiet a long day for you...
    Thanks for the pics!

I guess "somebody" got lucky that there was not barbwire between the gates :eek1
  20. _anatic

_anatic Plated

Oddometer:
    Yes, very lucky! Liked the suggestion we should all give Moose money to buy us lottery tickets.:D

Really enjoyed ridin' with you yesterday Gaston. Amazing stuff in your thread, just read the whole thing, very nice!:thumb