Nissan Xterra vs. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Hardware02, Nov 12, 2012.

?

Which 4x4 SUV?

1. Nissan Xterra S

2. Jeep Sahara Unlimited

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    There isn't a new 4 door on a lot around here for under 40k. Totally loaded rubicon is over $46, shit the 2 door rubi was $38, neither had leather. There wasn't a door on the lot under $32. Might be the fact they are the only jeep dealer that survived in a 100 mile radius.
  2. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    You fail. I paid $35k for my Unlimited Rubicon and the ONLY options I didn't get were Leather, the top of the line stereo (I got the "middle of the road" one), and auto climate control. Now I did it correctly in getting some really good rebates, but the MSRP on the 2 door Rubicon "base" model, is $33k on the Jeep website, so I dunno, it sounds like that dealer is making the most of having a cornered market on a very hot vehicle.

Getting back on topic, I personally think the 3.73 gears aren't enough and am very glad for the 4.10s in the Rubicon. On the Rubicon trail I actually could hold the brakes in first gear climbing in 4 low- now the 4 to 1 T case also fixes that.
  3. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:

How the fuck do I fail, I didn't pay those stupid ass prices for a damn jeep. I am just posting what the dealer around here is asking. The xterra is a better vehicle for less money unless you really want wheel. 95% of people will never use a rubicon to its full potential.
  4. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    Who gives a shit what a single dealer is asking for a vehicle. When's the last time you paid asking price?

I bought my 2009 Wrangler Rubicon brand new, nicely equipped with a hard top and a soft top, power equipment group, satellite radio, blah, blah blah. Sticker was about $32,000. I paid $23,000 after all rebates and discounts, and I got 0% financing for 4 years. Couple good negotiating skills, a friend in the business, and the best resale value of nearly any commonly produced car or truck, and knocking on the door of it's 4th birthday with 36,000 miles it's still worth more than I paid for it.

So um, yes. You fail.
  5. seuadr

seuadr Wee-stromer

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  6. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    He posted his experience as though it was the norm. I don't know anyone who pays asking price for a vehicle.

In other words, you fail too!
  7. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    This thread has dropped to the mentality level of a Jeep owner.
  8. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    Says the guy that drives an OJ mobile... :lol3
  9. seuadr

seuadr Wee-stromer

Oddometer:
    you may not, but i'm willing to bet that as many people do pay full asking as don't. i've never had any of my bikes or cars go for less than asking. could i be charging too little? possibly.

how many of the 7 billion people on earth do you know, that you are pulling an accurate representation of how many people might be paying below retail vs asking price? :deal

in other words, you fail 3! :lol3
  10. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    I worked in dealerships for 29 years. Today my responsibilities involve sales of salvage - among other things - in the insurance biz. I've seen thousands and thousands of deals. While paying asking price can happen, it happens very rarely.

In other words, you fail 4 :deal
  11. seuadr

seuadr Wee-stromer

Oddometer:
    oh ya? well you are a stupid head! :wink:
  12. rodhersh

rodhersh Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thank you for the laugh
  13. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    Did I read that right? 40K for a 4-Door? Rubi with all available factory options, with highest-rate state tax/reg included (CA, NJ or NY), should be no more than 38K OTD (I paid around 34.5 for a LE Call of Duty version Rubi Unlimited...not because of the game, cause dealer was more motivated to move the Call of Duty version than a standard Rubi).

I'm a multiple Jeep owner. Currently got a 08 2D-X Softie, 11-Rubi Unlimited Hard.

So far, both have been reliable, the 08 has gone through multiple recalls though. No issues stemming from it. I do my own basic maintenance, and always do a once over and while-your-at its. Hasn't really needed anything major.

While I'm not doing rock-climbing or Level 4 or 5 trails, both in stock form, handles 75% of California desert and forest trails fine. Gets me to some of the more remote campsites/lookouts/hiking trails with no issues.

Days I don't ride to work, I take the 2D. I love it because it's easy to zip around and park. I like mine.

I know numerous folks with Nissian/Toyota variants of the Jeep. My fav so far is the FJ from Toyota. All of them gets the owners/occupants/gear to the same location without skipping a beat also.

Xtrerra and FJ definitely has much more creature comforts, ride quality, fit and finish (especially the 08 Jeep, 11 is better) over the Jeep. But when things get serious....I would count on the Jeep more, plus, working on them getting aftermarket/OEM parts is typically easier, more plenitful and bit cheaper.

If your doing some long distance driving (like 1000's upon 1000's), I would take a Nissan or Toyota version for the comfort factor. While I would do it if I had to, going x-country in a 2D soft-top Jeep doesn't sound like very much fun.

Oh yeah: If buying used is in the question....definitely look at California purchased and owned version. TONS of trucks/SUV's meant to dirt (even purposely tooled up for it) that never see it. Many people here buy it for image more than anything. I got a nieghtbor who has a 4-inch lifted Rubi, REAL bead-locks, in MINT condition. Never seen anything but asphalt. Looks bad-ass though.
  14. RedRocker

RedRocker Native Texican Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where's Klay when you need him. :huh
  15. seuadr

seuadr Wee-stromer

Oddometer:
    well, i ran out of argument :rofl
  16. awebbfire

awebbfire Stuck in the Seventies

Oddometer:
    I owned jeeps for over ten years but my last one just fell apart, with less than 80k had to replace rotted brake lines and oil pan, when the heater core went I said its got to go. Bought an 06 xterra 2 years ago & love it. One u joint in 50k . Has 90k now and runs & feels gr8. My 2 cents.
  17. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    I have a 2006 Off-Road with a 6MT. I love everything about the truck except the gas mileage (17mpg, city or highway). In the nearly 130K miles that I have put on it, I have had to replace the fuel sending unit (Nissan partially covered that, since there is a service bulletin on that very problem), the clutch went at about 126K (seems longer than typical, per thenewx.org), and one of the u-joints on the front drive shaft died at about 120K. Otherwise, mechanical issues. Also, the rear shocks and springs died by about 100K miles, though high-quality after-market upgrades are readily available

User experience niggles are the shit fabric that nissan uses for their seats -- I wore through the outer edge of the driver's seat in maybe 60K miles; a fading seat-belt retraction mechanism on the driver's seat belt which means I often have a bight of seat belt hanging out under the door, and the coating on the steering wheel wearing through in a couple of spots to the foam underneath. The passenger door speaker is toast, and needs to be replaced.

I do a fair bit of long-distance driving in the truck (Seattle to Bay Area several times a year), and the truck is great as far as brakes, accelleration, NVH, seat comfort, etc.

And it's one of only a few vehicles available in the US with 4WD/AWD and a stick shift, which was a big selling point for me :deal
  18. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is usually dirt/body oil build up on the shoulder D-ring. Clean it with a piece of fishing line to scrape out the black gunk where teh seatbelt rubs the inside and it will work almost as good as new.
  19. XPADREX

XPADREX Funslinger

Oddometer:
    I would encourage anyone looking for a fancy four door "SUV" to not get the Wrangler Unlimited. While I love my JK (that's the two door, thanks, with a stick and ragtop), the largest about of projected butthurt on Wrangler forums are from people who bought the truckster version, paid extra for the Mygig Quantum 3000 sound system, leather, and a hardtop... and found out they didn't get sokething remotely close to what they wanted despit:nortone spending comparable $$.

All this could be avoided by seeking out vehicles that are actual SUVs, and not a Wrangler based kinderwagen.
  20. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    What a bummer. I was really looking forward to next week when I could show you my new JK unlimited with hardtop, my gig, and rich, supple corinthian leather. I'm installing a lift, 35's, rock rails, winch, bumpers, and a full rack of lights.

You'll find me at the local mall.