Is this a dangerous situation??

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by yeoman, Apr 7, 2013.

1. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Think about having a crotch full of gas several hours away from home. We had it happen to a guy once, and wound up in the quarter car wash hosing him down in his skivvies, then his pants, and him drying out riding home in wet gear. He ended up with a nasty rash for a while afterward. Not fun.

Anyone who is dumb enough to fuel up sitting on the bike when I'm around better not count on me getting burnt putting him out if he catches fire.
  2. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    It's the Ironbutt thing to do - Saves a few seconds at refueling if you can do it without taking your gear off or getting out of the seat. IMO it isn't worth the extra ten or twenty seconds it takes to step off and put the bike on the main stand. I don't fuel up with my gloves on either - so if there is a splash of fuel my hands only reek of it for a few minutes, not every time I wear those gloves for the next month.
  3. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    I refuel while sitting on the bike all the time.

Gloves off, grab wallet, swipe card, gas up, grab receipt, glove up, and head out. Just like a pit stop, didn't even have to pull off my helmet. Pay at the pump is frickin' awesome.

If you can't handle the minimal skills and risks involved, perhaps motorcycling isn't for you. Yes, I understand that soaking one's scrotum in unleaded is decidedly suboptimal, but on the scale of the risks we run in everyday riding, it's not even on the chart.

In the same way, the risks you run with a phone on your handlebars are far more that it'll distract you at a crucial point and contribute to your grisly demise, not that it'll set anything on fire.

I do keep up a scan in the mirrors while I'm stopped. Every once in a while, some beggedy-ass beggin' beggar will try to sidle up and beg for money for crack. More than once, I've grabbed my receipt and motored away while the crackhead is in the middle of the old sick grandmother story.
  4. Vanishing Point

Vanishing Point Lengthy Member

Oddometer:
    You could just blow him out.
  5. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never sit the bike while refueling for all the good reasons listed above. I had a reminder today - I have a new WR250R with an aftermarket tank made of black plastic. I filled the tank to the brim (there's no inner overfill or tipover valve like in the Beemer), put the cap back on, pushed the bike away from the pump, and parked it on the sidestand to go inside and pay. By the time I came back out fuel was spitting out of the vent on the top of the tank, apparently from expanding from the sun hitting the black plastic tank and warming it up. It was spitting out fast enough to run down the tank and onto the motor, but thankfully it was cooled off by then. I pushed the bike to full upright and it quit, so I mounted up and rode at full throttle :D for a few miles to burn off some fuel.

It was kind of scary, actually, seeing fuel spewing all over the top of the bike like that, especially considering the two ladies nearby smoking their cigs. I don't fool around with gasoline.

+1 on the wisdom of scanning around at the gas station. The only time I've ever been hit by a car on my GS was at a gas station waiting to fuel up.

Doug
  6. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    In addition to not wanting fuel on my gloves or soaking into my underwear, I keep my wallet in a front pocket - so getting at it while sitting on the bike is awkward at best, impossible if I've got overpants on. I'm not going to try and cook up some other solution that will likely end up with me losing/forgetting where I've put my credit card - although the Exxon key-ring tag thingy may have some merit. It's worth getting off to stretch the legs anyway - even if it is only for two minutes or so.

Not a big issue for those that want to do it, however, and I fully agree that the risks are really not that great in comparison to those of typical hazards we face while moving.
  7. hardpackrider

hardpackrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    like bwringer, I pull in, tight to card reader/nozzel, (loaded GSA w/panniers), I don't think I've ever fueled my bike any other way.. I kill mtr, put kick stand down, (tho keep both feet on the ground) take off gloves open tank lid, swipe and fill.

I gotta say tho, the fire aspect never crossed my mind..(hey, it's a small place, my mind), I'm controlling the flow, looking at the gallons, knowing that if I'm half full, start paying tighter focus after 3 gallons on the meter, etc..

Funny, the one thing I do think about was Ewin. Long Way Around, (or LWDown, can't remember which) Charlie was fillin Ewin's tank, and generally horse-ass'n around and the full either over filled when he wasn't watching or bad angle, whatever.. and Splash.. right in Ewin's eyes. Scary shit. Gas is nasty..(except for Chevron w/ Techron.. that shit tastes like sweet ice tea). In any case, I think of that incident every single time I fill up, as I'm staring down into my tank.. I just take it easy and fill it slow.

I appreciate the reminder about surroundings, to be more vigilant with my routine, and scan... for zombies... as they're out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    I have grown quite fond of MY lap area and would not enjoy the the sensation if it were to be on fire. I stand.
  9. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    ok mr exaggeration, we get it. do you lean out the window of your car to fill it up?
  10. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I consider staying on bike when refueling higher risk than riding without helmet. I've seen too many stupid things happen at gas stations. most common gas station hazard, gettin run over by Mr. Red Ford's truck with a 12" lift and 44" tires, or maybe just a Chevy with 4" lift and 35" tires

I've watched it almost happen several times, I did see it happen once from the ohter side of the pump island, guy with a harley he was off his bike, girl driving luxury SUV, pulled right up tight behind harley that was at pump, after harley guy finishes pumping, he walks inside to get change, as he walks ahead, girl pulls up to pump, runs over is bike

too many times I've seen bikes get lost in a sea of bigger vehicles at a busy gas station
  11. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:

Finally...

...this thread's about to get interesting.

:bueller
  12. feldjäger

feldjäger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I totally agree with Jim. Also think of how hard it may become if the bike catches on fire you freak out trying to get off drop the bike on yourself, then what? Think it is a better idea to be off the bike. On a side note I also like being in control of my surroundings too, gas stations in some parts of town attract interesting folks and you sitting on a bike makes it a little easier to get a one up on. :evil
  13. der_saeufer

der_saeufer Пу́тін хуйло́

Oddometer:
    Nope. I've taken enough gasoline baths working on cars that I don't need any more, especially not aimed anywhere near my 'nads. Plus, I have to stand up to get my wallet out and take off my gloves to get the card out.

And it takes a spare hand to hold the 'foreskin' back on California gas pumps to get the last gallon in. So much easier just to hop off and put the bike on the centerstand.

Plus, as a tall guy, the minute of not having my knees bent is totally worth it if that tank was anywhere near full when I started.
  14. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

I've had the fuel boil back out of the tank onto the 500 degree head of a Harely before withotu catching fire.....
    ....I've also seen a guy "over tickle" an old Triumph and catch it on fire.

Overfilling SHOULDN'T catch your bike on fire, the under the cap there are drains and they "should" be routed down under the bike and away from the exhaust.

Of course those drain hoses tend to get lost, pulled off, or broken during maintenance and are easily missed.
  15. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too.

I was going to say the same thing. ADV riders all.
  16. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Yeah I don't get off the bike to gas it up.

Most of the time I don't take my helmet or gloves off, I've been doing it that way for like 20 years now.

Oddly I haven't gassed my junk OR caught the bike on fire yet.
  17. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    I do both at the same time. I'll probably never make it out of this life alive.
  18. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some of the replies crack me up. Currently, I pretty much have to get off to refuel, since I'm riding a Dakar and the fuel cap is behind my right leg. Awkward at best if I stay on the bike. Plus, as noted above, it gives me a chance to stretch out a bit.

1911fan
  19. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are you going to do if you do spill gas on your crotch?
    It burns.
    Ride naked?
  20. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nah, just light it off to get rid of it. :roflGets rid of the crabs, too!

1911fan