4th Annual "Coal Bucket Ride"

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dlrides, May 27, 2009.

1. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Over time, memorial day weekend has developed into an annual ride for a small group of riders. We travel from several states to ride the coal mining areas of TN, KY, WV, and VA. This area provides the best mixture of paved twisties, gravel, and trails on the east coast, and has become addictive. The core group has stayed the same for the most part, with GSBS and DeBandi from AL, Nocturnal from VA, and myself from NC. Boojum has been part of the group every year, but emergency business kept him away for this one.

Being a native of the area, the good routes are endless, with a mixture of riding to challenge the "best" on big bikes. This year was no disappointment ! We covered everything from dragging bikes around logs, black coal mud, goat paths, to abandoned RR tracks and "bag dragging" curvy roads !

We planned to meet at Frozen Head State Park near Wartburg TN on 5/21, head out on 5/22 to ride the abandoned Nemo tunnel, and part of the TAT in reverse to Jellico TN on day one.

I had some business in Murphy NC on 5/21, so after quick meeting, over the mountain on gravel, through the Tellico ORV park on River Road.

Crossing the crest of the mountain, experienced a small road block !

[​IMG]

Seemed to be about 6-7 ft, but when stopped the bike, it coiled. This rattler was fat, about the same diameter as the front tire ! I to get it to stretch out for a pic, but that wasn't going to happen, when I started the bike it struck at the front tire !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uneventful from here to Frozen Head, so the AL riders will continue............
  2. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    DeBandi and I had a perfect weather day for the ride up Thursday.

Crossing the Tennessee River at South Pittsburgh:

[​IMG]

Rush hour in Pikeville, TN:

[​IMG]

There's nine miles of great gravel just before Nemo Tunnel in the Catoosa WMA:

[​IMG]

Arrived at camp around 5 in Wartburg TN:

[​IMG]
  3. simpson

simpson wild rover of hell

Oddometer:
    :ear :lurk
  4. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    After a very brief overnight shower, the weather again was perfect for all of Friday's trip to Jellico TN, beginning with a side trip to ride thru the Nemo Tunnel near Wartburg:

[​IMG]

Another view from inside:

[​IMG]

Riding thru the 3/4-mile-long tunnel, I didn't take hands off the handlebar grips, but took this on the other side:

[​IMG]

From there we rode northward along the new tracks to look for the next abandoned tunnel. Parked when the gravel got deep and set out on foot the last 200 yards:

[​IMG]

This tunnel had been gated and we didn't explore past the first few feet:

[​IMG]

Dlrides walked the new RR bridge across the Emory River (new line runs parallel to the old) to see if he could see where the old tunnel emerged, but leafed-out trees blocked the view:

[​IMG]

At a lunch stop, dlrides educates a local resident on the TAT (which we rode where possible in-between necessary pavement for about 90 miles):

[​IMG]

Just 10 miles south of Jellico (right off the TAT) we see a sign for this place. After all the dusty roads a cold one sounded great so we detoured a bit off route:

[​IMG]

That night plans were for a pig to be roasted and a live band was scheduled to kick off a Saturday poker run for ATVs that the tavern was hosting. It was cool inside and the beer was nice and cold:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, when we got back on the bikes, dlrides told Debandi: "Might as well find some shade... you got a flat."

[​IMG]

The tube replacement took about 30 minutes:

[​IMG]

We arrived at Indian Mountain SP in Jellico to find it brimming with RVs, but they put us up in an overflow area away from the crowds (and bath house). It was a pretty campsite except that the mosquitoes were out in droves when the sun began to set. Here's my dusty bike and hammock:

[​IMG]

Dlrides enjoying a biskit with Spam at camp:

[​IMG]

After an hour or so, this guy fetched us a picnic table on his Gator :clap

[​IMG]

Nocturnal - the final member of the Coal Bucket Posse - rolled in an hour before dark and began setting up a brand-new hammock. This was the first test of the new sleeping gear:

[​IMG]
  6. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Glad you guys finally went through that damn tunnel! I am bummed to learn about another abandoned tunnel (the gated one) but excited because it's a reason for me to go back.

GSBS- how do you like that hammock? Looks like the Hennesy? I got one to test out, we're going to start carrying a full line of adventure moto camping gear... what kind is is that Nocturnal has there? Great pics as always, David. :thumb
  7. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments Flux!

It's the basic one - $139 with snakeskins (you'll want those). I like it a lot!

I've been using it for about a year and it's the best sleep I've gotten while camping. Packs small too.

Be warned, though, that if it's below 80º you'll need a sleeping bag. Below 60º a bag + sleeping pad. It's amazing how much air passes thru when you're off the ground like that.

I'm not sure of the brand hammock Nocturnal had, he said it slept well.

By using the hammock instead of tent it allowed me to leave the Jesse hard panniers at home (glad I did too!). I also carried my Exped Downmat plus North Face 0º bag. It didn't get below the high 50s on this trip, so I didn't need the downmat. But one night I was borderline needing it, even though I was in the 0º bag.
  8. DeBandi

DeBandi Exploring Alabama

Oddometer:
  9. Fredfredburger

Fredfredburger CTRL ALT DEL

Oddometer:
    Great pics!

:lurk
  10. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh man, you guys are killin' me.

No friendly "Camp Wardens" this year, I take it?

Looks like a great trip! :clap :clap
  11. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:
    How does one join y'alls posse :ear ? I like the fact that you guys actually check out some good stuff versus the same old routine.
  12. GaM

GaM Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was following y'all on Debandi's Spot, fun trying to figure out what you were up to.

Don have you ever checked out the closed entrance to the Fraterville Mine? Don't think there is much to see but I would like to check it out just for history.
  13. dlrides

Oddometer:
    :thumb

I'll make sure to send you the info next april. You will get stuck, drag your bike accross something, get lost, muddy, and wet.

:lol3
  14. dlrides

Oddometer:
    GaM,
    It was a interesting route, you'll hear more later ! :eek1

I have heard of the Fraterville explosion, I think it's near route 116 near Petros. I actually forgot to research it before the trip. Thanks for the reminder.
  15. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:

Hell, I do that trying to get out of the driveway. :D
  16. dlrides

Oddometer:
  17. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Great shot Don!
  18. SalsaBoy

SalsaBoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This will be a good RR! :clap
  19. jbeem

jbeem Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don,
    IIRC there is a road on the TAT just south of Oneida, TN, called "Tunnel Hill Road". Are you aware of a tunnel in that area? I've looked around a little, but since I'm usually alone I don't press my luck.

Every time I've been by the Baird Tavern, it's been a welcome sight.

I enjoy your RR's, keep it up. I was in the cabin next to you in Renfro Valley (the old guy on the red airhead GS).
  20. dlrides

Oddometer:

:wave

There are approx. 12 tunnels in the area called the "Rat Hole" tunnels. I have some info as to their location I will send you. Supposedly, 6-7 of them are accessible. They were abandoned around 1963 due to larger trains on the line.