KTM 990 SUPERMOTO-R Thread???

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ktmMike, Jun 7, 2011.

1. tomotosoup

tomotosoup looney4bikes

Oddometer:
    1. The SMR has no fueling issues that I'm aware of.
    2. Your saying the power delivery is not smooth on a stock SMR? That is subjective, but I respect your opinion. Those two devices would only be used if you needed to load a custom map, the only reason you might need a custom map is if you modify the bike (i.e. Air Intake, Exhaust; back pressure), you adjust fuel delivery for those mods accordingly, which would require Dyno time along with a knowledgeable tuner to create the map and load it. The stock bike will allow an alternate map to be loaded "the Akra Map" which basically increases fuel supply across the range. Any KTM dealer can load this map on your bike. This map was created for the most common mod... Akra pipes.
    3. Best check with Aaron (the maker of the box), thats a huge adjustment in your fuel/air delivery with no compensation in exhaust flow. His contact info is in my How-To site (on page 1 of this thread) if you don't already have it.
    4. I don't believe your fuel range is gonna change with any exhaust, stock or after market, until you change your mapping. Ball Park is gonna be 150 to a tank, give-or-take.
    5. Other than the bike being over-priced, nothing I can think of. (again subjective)
    6. I've put in 7 hr days on mine, no biggie. The SMT seat bolts right on for 200 beans, much more comfy so I've heard.
    Disclaimer: I'm no expert, this is just my 2 cents based on my experiences thus far with the bike.
    Cheers
  2. theturtleshead

theturtleshead Tits on a fish

Oddometer:
    What he said!
    Cali to Medellin 6hour 30 minutes suspension on the comfort settings!
    No ass ache at all
    Al
  3. mrjemm

mrjemm Clumsy Oaf

Oddometer:
    Please excuse my lack of "R"ness. I suspect non "R"s weren't exported to the US, as I only see mention of these and "T"s...

Anyway, mine's alot closer to your lot than one of those ugly barges, so I'm going to gatecrash this party.

I would like to ask though, about this Akra map- is it likely to be necessary with Wings? They say no re-mapping is required, but, well, you know.

Curious about an apparent contradiction in your response there, Soupy. You say the map increases fuel supply, but then say it doesn't affect range. Due to less throttle being necessary? Or so small as to not make any difference?

Also, as I can recall, the R seat looks like mine (v flat to rear), and I am finding this one one of the more comfy KTM seats so far- having had 2x 950As (03 original plank and 04 slightly flattened) that were EVIL, a 950SMR that I never spent enough time in, and a 640E standard perch that ends up killer (also have comfort one, that's best of lot, but not on at mo).

Other things about the non "R", that may be the same, are that so far I find it a bit flighty/twitchy at the front, maybe a damper would help. I have crap traction at rear (perhaps susp set up and/or new tyres)- some scary moments. And the engine isn't "grunty" like the carbies were; need to run up through the range quick, which means changing gears gets in the way.

Compared to my old 950 SMR, it's nowhere near as intuative or playful. Feels much bigger. And it's not the power that unnerves me. Trading that for a Tuono is still my biggest biking mistake.

So far, still riding much slicker and nippier on the 640E!
  4. mrjemm

mrjemm Clumsy Oaf

Oddometer:
    :huh

You been talking to my lady?
  5. tomotosoup

tomotosoup looney4bikes

Oddometer:
    Howdy Mate, welcome to the party.
    Regarding Wings exhaust, the owner of that company told me that if I used the smallest set of DB Killers (quietest) I would NOT have to re-map. If I used the louder (larger DB Killers) I should load the Akra map. When you buy a set of Wings they come with 2 sets of DB Killers. Nuf said.

If you re-read, you will see I said changing the exhaust will not effect the range of a tank of gas. (Which was the question) The exhaust has no effect on the amount of fuel delivered. Changing the map will. The Akra map does compensate for a free flowing exhaust by adding fuel across the board, and yes, that will effect mileage. How much I'm not sure. My guess is its not a lot.
  6. karna

karna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input.... Its really insightful... I can't wait to get my damn bike this week. 150 per tank... is that Miles ? if so thats impressive... my Hyper barely got 90 miles per tank

7. tomotosoup

tomotosoup looney4bikes

Oddometer:
    Yes thats miles. Don't get too excited, 150 would be every drop of a completely full tank, just casual commuting. I might have been a little generous with that # in hindsight. 130 might be more realistic. It's odd because of the way the bike handles reserve. The odo starts counting up from zero, one day I got to the pump with 32 miles on reserve. I thought great thats my magic number. Then a few months later I ran out of gas on the way to work at 24! Reserve seems to come on around the 105 to 110 area, and after my incident I don't trust it much more than 15 miles, so I'm in the habit of getting 125 to 130 between fuel stops. FYI my bike is on the stock fuel map.
  8. ktmMike

ktmMike Long timer

Oddometer:

My 990 SM-R gets 110 miles per tank.
    That's with Akra cans and Akra map,
    constant acceleration, deceleration and gear changes,
    on twisty roads only (because that's all we've got), and
    rarely ever in 5th or 6th gear, AND rolling into the gas station on nothing but fumes
    (if that helps any).

I've never ridden it on a straight highway in top gear for any distance,
    so I can't help with that type of mileage.

According to www.motorcyclespecs.co.za :
    Fuel tank sizes:
    990 Supermoto R.................. 15L
    990 Supermoto T................... 19L
    990 Supermoto (Europe)...... 19L

9. ktmMike

ktmMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mr Jemm,
    I was hoping a non-R 990 Supermoto rider would find us.
    Will you please give me the part numbers of the left and right
    "spoilers" mounted on the sides of gas tank including different color choices if any exist?
    Are they painted, or are they raw polypropylene finish with decals added,
    like many KTM side covers, fenders, and the like?

10. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    That,s funny! Never even knew about 6th gear,just goes to show how many highways there are around theses parts.:D
    Al
  11. ktmMike

ktmMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3So tell the man how many miles (or kilometers)
    you get per tank:dunno

12. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    Ha!
    Tricky one that.Well I filled up in Cali,then again just outside Pereira,then one more just one the outskirts of Medellin.Left Cali at 7am on the dot got into Medellin at 1,30pm.
    So two tank fulls in 6.30mins
    I,m guessing it,s not much help:lol3
    Al
    Everything is klm,s here but my head and speedo still work with miles
  13. ktmMike

ktmMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like plain Pilot Powers, 31 psi front and rear, and all standard suspension settings for my body weight of 160 lbs.
    Good rear traction for me with this set up.
    (I experimented with suspension settings quite a bit.
    You can feel a change with EACH CLICK. Very sensitive.
    Every combination led me back to standard).

(Now if I were going to ride it where all the roads are straight, like Colombia,
    I would probably choose the comfort settings:poser).

14. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    Ah that might be all fine and well for you slim types Mike,but us 195lbs types do need our comfort:evil
    Al
  15. ktmMike

ktmMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tomoto,
    With all the rain, I finally had a little time to go through your

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/SMR/index.htm

in greater detail.
    What a professional effort! Excellent job!

I see you went through the same cage nut fiasco :beccathat I did.

I wonder if the factory tank installer ever figured out how much trouble
    he has caused by using a power tool where a hand tool should
    have been used gently (I guess that's how he did it:dunno).

16. bajanomad

bajanomad bajanomad

Oddometer:
    Put a deposit down on an 11 SMR. WooHoo! Pick it up next week. Can't wait:wings
  17. karna

karna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hitting the crest tomorrow... Absolutely love the bike just dialed in the suspension... I'm guessing the exhaust is next... but 600 mile service wednesday...
  18. bajanomad

bajanomad bajanomad

Oddometer:
    Also hittin ach manana, on my orange SD,and hopefully next week on a new SMR!
  19. No Degree

No Degree Blah Blah Blah CSM FFs

Oddometer:
    To all the new SMR owners, are you folks paying MSRP for your bikes or are the dealers giving you a break on price?
  20. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    If I told you want I payed in Colombia you,d shit your pants!
    Al