Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    I like it here I don't wanna go back!!!:freaky
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    With this, you can fly over topes and leave pursuers in the dust

[​IMG]

:freaky
  3. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    This would definitely not work on even the smallest topes in Mexico. And our KLRs probably do have an edge in power to weight, I don't know. But If I had Jay Leno money, this would be in my collection, or if not for sale, I'd have one built for me. It has that steampunk look
  4. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could call it the "Rebeccadealbainator"!
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is spot on. As a 66 yrs at the time Spanish student in Oaxaca, I had a great time but it was not worth it language wise for me. I'm a retired educator and the instruction was tops.I formerly evaluated teachers on the job. Like Trice says you nee the basics before you go to class in any situation to gain much. Also, w/o continued use you'll lose what you gained . Craigslist if full of cheap Rosseta Stone stuff . Immersion is the absolute best but the use it or lose it thing still applies. My hearing loss also makes it hard to hear the little things that matter lots in Spanish. There is no doubt in my mind(well documented too!) that age is a big factor in learning language. Maybe never too late but not nearly so easy either.
  6. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Oh yeah. The topes will getcha a long time before the bandits do.

I wish that my online photo account was working because I posted some photos of a car-sized sinkhole in the middle of a Reynosa street a year or two ago. Damnedest thing that I had ever seen, and it had happened recently so the city hadn't had a chance to put any cones around it but someone did throw some old tires in to give folks a little warning. If I hadn't see it and had ridden across it my bike and I would definitely been swallowed up into the local storm sewer.
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    My BMW R1150R is not nearly as low as the Ninja and my centerstand and bike lowers are very scarred but no damage that matters. Still looking for the one that does me in & I have little doubt that it's out there. You will hit one on a Ninja that will cause some regret! There is also a pothole lurking in the shadows of most Mexican roads. I have played "avoid the pothole" game a few times when they just had me outnumbered!
  8. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    There is a trick I don't think enough people use.

I sponsor a kid in Coatzacoalcos and another in Tuxtla Gutierrez via Compassion. Instead of writing in english and having it translated, I write them in spanish. Putting everyday phrases into spanish means quickly enough you have a true foundation of the language. In other words, for your own practical applications, think of the common, everyday things you do - every day, and ask yourself to try to translate these simple tasks into spanish. Build with the everyday, common things, because it's these experiences that literally translate all over the world.
  9. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Interesting. You are a decade ahead of me and I already have some of those issues, like not being able to hear worth a damn. Too many rock concerts and too many miles in noisy helmets I guess.

I am firmly convinced that some folks just don't have the gene for a second language. I have tried to learn Latin, French, and Spanish over the years and have had little luck with any of them.

I really, really wish that my Spanish language skills were better but it is what it is. I am probably a pretty good example that you don't have to know Spanish to have a good time in Mexico, but 1) it certainly helps, 2) any attempt to try even lousy Spanish is considered to be a courtesy so you need to give it a try, and 3) for safety sake I'd suggest to folks that they at least try to learn to read the road signs.
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I began my journey to sound induced hearing loss when I was in the 5th grade & shooting on a rifle team. I have tried real hard to lose the rest of it over many years & now protect the remains with an all out effort. Make no mistake, languages become more difficult with age! I don't even understand gringos that talk fast & all Spanish seems to come that way!
  11. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Dirty little secret, but officially the Border Patrol will tell you that 2 pieces of US issued photo ID will do it. I crossed at Laredo Bridge #1 a few months ago without my passport (left it in the RV). The guy looked at my driver's license, looked at the computer, asked me for my history (he could probably tell that I crossed regularly at Progreso and Hildalgo/Reynosa) and just waved me through.

With that said and done I wouldn't advise a first time person to leave the USA without a passport, but it's reassuring to know that you won't necessarily get stuck at the border if you forget your passport.
  12. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Damned young 'uns :lol3
  13. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    May I suggest starting with YouTube videos of Mexican weather girls and go from there :evil
  14. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    ^ You may not learn a ton of spanish but you'll have fun trying :freaky
  15. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Two of the best "instructors" are Mayte Carranco and Jackie Guerrido :deal
  16. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Arte, I expect to be sitting here, watching an oil well during that time but they have a habit of cutting us loose with no notice so we never know from day to day how long we will be some place.

If I find myself back in town during that time I'll definitely be interested in doing some riding.
  17. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Will be dining at the Luling City Market at 11 AM, come out for a cerveza :freaky
  18. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    There's quite a bit of idiocy "out there", in general, it is pretty much futile to resist. They'll let you go after awhile, I suspect. What do they do to someone that tells them he will be traveling and picking a motel wherever the night catches him. Reminds me of a kid that was refusing to rent me a steam cleaner unless I provided two phone numbers. I made one up and was on my way. :1drink

This is not unlike left lane lounge lizards, it's not worth getting irritated over them. Today it's this one tomorrow it's that one. Just go around them like a leaf traveling down the stream and enjoy the ride/life.

p.s. I really enjoy your geology posts.
  19. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    Igneous, metamorphic, sedimentary:evil
  20. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    I'd love to join that ride