New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. nippybit

nippybit Nippybit

Oddometer:
    You are welcome. I hope that Dave and I come up with more answers and hopefully a fix that works.

Cheers,
  2. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    Ok just spoke to Vortex there is a thermal over load in the vortex ecu but he can't remember if there is paramiteters on the stock but certain there is , he has experienced the pump issue on a berg while out riding with three other EFI gurus

So the pump may look tiptop the field or armature winding must be braking down underload , kind of hard to replicate with engine vibs fuel , temp
  3. nippybit

nippybit Nippybit

Oddometer:
    Thank you Crank. I think you are right and I hope that we can get to the bottom of the problem and then let everyone know. I will take you up on your offer for the ECU and send you my contact information by PM.

Cheers,
  4. nippybit

nippybit Nippybit

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Not so sure about the theory of the armature breaking down under load. If you are right about this then all of us who have bought new pumps did the right thing. If not, then we are still looking for answers.

When my bike died the first time I had been almost idling along in 5th gear on a small paved road going downhill headed towards a lake. I had not been running it hard at all as I was doing some recon in an area where we will go looking for old gold mines off-road. I had not even gotten to one of the off-road areas. When I arrived at a Forest Service Ranger Station and shut the bike off to pay an entry fee it would not restart. Subsequently, when I got it restarted, I ran the living shit out of it trying to get home before catastrophic failure, which I expected. I hit the slab and rode the bike at 85 to 90 mph passing people going uphill and downhill for 60+ miles. This was screaming the motor a bit as I have 14/45 gearing. I then ran it hard through the gears when I hit a few stoplights in the city. Then it died while idling at an intersection about 3 miles from my home. Ten minute wait and then it started and ran fine again. The tech at Carter Powersports road it 20 miles and then it died and subsequently restarted. He reported that when running it performed great. Very similar to what a lot of riders here have reported.

Still searching for answers.

Cheers
  5. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    Hmm fuel reg over heating / causing combo of both ??? Just throwing it out there , any way new pump seems to fix it .

I just may go one of cranks looms for racing.
  6. nippybit

nippybit Nippybit

Oddometer:
    Dave and I just spoke and he confirmed what I thought which is that the armature is turning at one speed. Power goes to the pump through the brushes and then to the commutator which causes the armature to rotate thereby driving the pump. Given this, it is not like the armature has to struggle to deal with various loads, it simply turns at a consistent speed. We are studying the pressure regulator which we believe has a mechanical mechanism and is connected to the ECU so that the ECU can see if it is regulating pressure, however the ECU does not provide power to it. More to come on this.

While my new pump has seemingly fixed the problem it may occur again. As you know, a number of posters here have had multiple pumps, which is frightening as you don't know if you can trust your ride off-road, it is damn expensive, and it shouldn't be happening. I had a 2005 BMW GS (FI with a submersible pump and filter) and I put about 28,000 miles on it without even the hint of a problem. I am hopeful that we find something other than the pump as the cause of the problem.

Cheers,
  7. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    i know of some pump failures that were for sure pump failures.....not enough pressure and volume... some were due to manufacturing defect where the pump housing was too tight when the pump gets warm it binds.... some were brushes coming apart.
    some were due to the pump coming disconnected from the housing and kinking the fuel line. some the wires came off the pump.

all of those were failures that could be explained and we sorted through them and got to the root cause.

Stalling...... can be caused by many different things including improper tps setting, dirty injector ( just a little dirty and it will still run wide open) but no idle, fouled plug or cap issue ( both times I had a bad plug i could not tell by looking at it it was fouled)

cutting out....this is one that is really causing me to go round and round.....bike will run and then just quit at speed but will re start, sometimes with the kill switch cycled and sometimes just starts back up. one time it was the master relay for me....it would let the starter start but would not turn on something else.

it seems from all of my experiences, more than one condition exists and the bike wont run. I also think the 2 ecu's dont talk to each other that well. they also often get into a locked state and need to be reset. voltage sensitive? yes I think so and it only takes a very small fluctuation to make a problem.maybe slightly under voltaged for the computer needs.

ready for my last issue? we had one 690 die and we could not repair it...he went home in the wifes truck after she drove 500 miles to get him.... the rest of us got so far behind we decided to hiway it home...... 85 miles in one strech at a constant throttle, no stops no slowdowns and when I back off the throttle it sputters and dies, wont start and I have to cycle the kill switch a few times and do a roll throttle to wfo and back then shut it off a and then it runs. over the next 400 miles it got worst if I stayed steady on the throttle. if I was on and off speeding up and down the problem didnt show up. it barley ran when I came into my driveway, poping surging and almost dying. next morning I did a 15 minute reset and it has been great ever since.

70* husaberg and new KTM use the same pumps ,regulators and injector. they dont have nearly the issues the 690 has. they dont have as many safety sensors and they dont have fly by wire and only one ecu and no canbus system. there wire loom is much simpler and they have less connectors

to summarize my

FI is here to stay
    this bike is great when it works right
    it is not all the hardware that is the problem and think some of the system has weak points or not needed.
    I will figure it out with help and make it dependable......the only weak points now are in the fuel management system
  8. MXfritz

MXfritz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 690R with around 1700miles on it. Just yesterday I took it out for about a 200 mile spin and noticed right away it was blowing a fine black soot all over my lower right leg. I've never noticed it before yesterday. Was getting a little on the frame as well. I just can't seem to see where its coming from. The temp was around 40 degrees when I left home which is as cold as it been run at so far and only went up to about 47 and blew it out all day. The only change I made before riding it this time was I wired in heated grips. Any ideas? I'm hoping this is something common so I can rectify it and getting riding again. Thanks
  9. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Charcoal cannister. You may want to consider eliminating it.
  10. MXfritz

MXfritz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!! That was fast. I will try to search for a thread on here explaining how to do so.
  11. MXfritz

MXfritz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone suggest where to look for directions to properly remove charcoal canister on a 690 enduro?? Seems like the threads on here have been removed. Thanks
  12. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread will give you the info
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666269
  13. Aaron from Texas

Aaron from Texas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Post #7

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15358388#post15358388

He also goes on to explain a full removal, which includes replacing the SAS solenoids with resistors. But I have just disconnected mine, and through TuneECU I disabled the SAS system, so my ECU doesn't complain about the missing solenoids.

EDIT... ^ He beat me to it. :freaky
  14. Barman

Barman Way Offline

Oddometer:
  15. MXfritz

MXfritz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I read thru it real quick and looks easy enough. I also plan on installing Rally Raid tanks and fairing soon so this whole thread will be very helpful. I may even be able to figure out what mapping I need for this thing with the FMF pipe I just added and Rally Raid air filter when it finally arrives from reading his thread. I love this bike so far and want to keep on good terms with it.
  16. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over the last couple of months,we have been working closely with a new partner of ours,B G Motorsport,at the world-famous Silverstone Racing Circuit.
    They have one of our fleet of KTM 690 Enduro R models,2009,which we are using as a development machine in order for Ben,chief development engineer at B G Motorsport,to design a rear shock that will replace the White power unit on the bikes.
    Our new design will utilise the high-spec TTS Twin-Chamber system,and incorporate a threaded clevis at the bottom which will allow an adjustable ride height.The rear wheel movement will also be increased to 290mm.
    Due to the fact that Ohlins do not currently produce a top body of the correct design for the 690,we now have a part that was designed in 3D CAD,then produced by resin stereolithography,this enables us to test the shape performs correctly on the bike before commiting to expensive billet aluminium parts.This is another first for us at Rally-Raid Products,and should help reduce development times,and costs.
    We are also working with B G Motorsport on a variation of the Ohlins TTS Twin-Chamber Fork Cartridge Inserts,as we already can fit them to the pre-2011 bikes,with the compression adjuster in the bottom of the fork,as an EXC.
    The 2011 & 2012 bikes have the new WP forks,with the angled compression adjusters in the bottom,which do not allow for fitment of the TTS Inserts,but working with Ben,we are designing an adaptor to allow them to fit.
    This will mean KTM 690 Enduro riders do not then have to scour E-Bay for used SXS Twin-Cartridge forks,but can fit these Ohlins units,which give a massive improvement over standard,and we can also increase the stroke from 250mm on the 2012 KTM 690 up to 300mm,the same as an EXC !!!

www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk

[​IMG]
  17. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great news about the suspension! So do you guys do the fork inserts? Don't see any kits on your website. Anyone in the USA do this work? Thanks.
  18. The First Heretic

The First Heretic .

Oddometer:
    hey....
    does anyone know how the rear strap in this pic is secured?
    it's near the fuel cap.
    i was thinking about wrapping one around the seat but i may rip the seat off when tugging.

[​IMG]
  19. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know that it is too early in development to put a price tag on it, but do you have a rough ballpark figure for price? I have already had my R shock modified for 285mm travel and had extensive valving work done and just cannot seem to get the results I'm after, it's either too soft on the big hits but perfect everywhere else or too rough on the little hits with light bottoming on the big ones. I'm getting close to revalving AGAIN but I have been interested in the ttx rear since rumor started about it for the 690 a couple years ago.

I was having similar issues with the front end and finally switched to 300mm twin chamber forks and voila! problem solved! I'm hoping that the ttx rear has similar results.:clap
  20. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    We dont do the fork inserts yet,once we have the 2011/12 forks sorted we will stock both types,with spring weights dependent on riders weight/tank size/competion or touring.